• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Sea Relations: Behaviour for Recognizing False Flags

How should enemy forts treat players sailing into port under a false flag?

• Other, please specify below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It is indeed a single function that already figures in your Luck skill.
So that probably is relatively easy. The function is called something like False Flag Detection Chance and is in either Screwface_functions.c or nations.c.

Please don't do it for now though! We haven't yet established if the chance IS too high and if it is, then the general function needs to be rebalanced before we make it more fancy.
I still have difficulty out of the equation and it would be nice to return that as well some time.

I just started playing the 9/27. I have noticed a couple of things. Playing on arcade mode for no apparent reason all the nations that neutral switched to neutral switched to wary, the only thing I did was switch my flag from personal to British so I could trade with Britain.

Also for no obvious, to me, reason my rep dropped from neutral to rascal. I did kill two coast guards during smuggling. Does that explain it?

I just started playing the 9/27. I have noticed a couple of things. Playing on arcade mode for no apparent reason all the nations that neutral switched to neutral switched to wary, the only thing I did was switch my flag from personal to British so I could trade with Britain.
Switching flags doesn't affect your relations; only your actions do.
How did you start the game? As an experiment, I set Personal Nation starts to be Wary with all nations rather than Neutral.
That should have been the case right already at the start of the game though.

Also for no obvious, to me, reason my rep dropped from neutral to rascal. I did kill two coast guards during smuggling. Does that explain it?
@Levis, does smuggling affect your reputation?
@Jason, are there any other things that you've done since starting a new game?

How did you start the game? As an experiment, I set Personal Nation starts to be Wary with all nations rather than Neutral.

So they probably didn't change I just assumed they were neutral and they were really wary? Isn't that going to make it hard to trade with nations until you get your rep to matey?

Nothing that I don't usually do.,

Nothing that I don't usually do.,
But what do you usually do? And what is the previous version where you did those things?
Some stuff has changed with relations at sea, of course, but I think you already knew that.

But what do you usually do? And what is the previous version where you did those things?
Some stuff has changed with relations at sea, of course, but I think you already knew that.

Talk to people, ship to ship combat, melee in the jungle, rob street merchants and I have played all of the recent updates.

Ship to ship combat can decrease your nation relations of you don't pick legal targets.

Robbing Street merchants should give you a much larger reputation and relation penalty than you apparently got! :shock

Ok, I am also noticing much slower loads and more frequent crashes and freezes. Btw by street merchants I mean the guys who are walking around not the Gus in the stalls.

From what I noticed killing the coastguards doesn't. But after that if you go to sea and they will spot you, you will go down A LOT for that nation.

Just being spotted should not make much of a difference. Sinking or capturing the guard vessel probably will though.
Especially if you do it while still under a friendly flag!!!

Robbing wandering random Street merchants should cause the same issue as with the other ones.
Not sure if it does though.
I didn't fire a single shot at them. I think there is an update rm somewhere

You'll be shot at. :shrug

Yes I was - but managed to escape without too much damage. :razz

@Talisman is playing the Jack Sparrow storyline, which is the only one where Tortuga actually IS a Pirate town. :yes

Barbossa has now stolen the Black Pearl and marooned me:(

I have found the smugglers and their small ship - try to sail to Tortuga to take them there and start the Film part of the Story

However the Fort blows me & the smugglers out of the water every time. :rofl

Is there anything I can put in the console to get past this. :wp

:cheers

However the Fort blows me & the smugglers out of the water every time. :rofl

Is there anything I can put in the console to get past this. :wp
Not surprisingly either. I think there are no pirate governors for you to talk to to sort this out (for other nations you can).
Try this console command:
Code:
ResetForts(PIRATE);
This is quite a recent addition of mine (last weekend?), so that does require a recent modpack version to work.

As far as I can tell from all recent comments and based on the last fix I did, this feature might actually be OK now at long last!
I do still require as much feedback on this as possible as I have done absolutely NOTHING with balancing here yet.
So keep using those false flags in the early AND late games and see how often you get recognized.

Thanks to @Talisman, we now know that it can happen in the early game, but you have to be quite unlucky for that to happen.
(Which apparently he was.... :oops: )
Now the main query is: Does it get too hard too quick?

Because of the latest patch, the FPS and playing was a pain when I tested it on the weekend. I could now test this again without problems, but I have university and I prefer to wait a bit more. Better to wait for the new .EXE!

As per this update, the Montanez should always believe your false flag and false flag detection will NOT occur on your ship's deck any longer.
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | PiratesAhoy!

Apart from checking the game balancing related to this, I am beginning to believe that after well over a few years, this is actually under control at last!
Which means that rather than deliberately not using this system because it is broken anyway, it is not actually AVAILABLE FOR USE! :dance

I do believe this is well and truly fixed now, so I'm marking it as such! :dance

Of course balancing may still be needed, but the massive insanity that was the "Flag Relations" system until Beta 3.4 is NO MORE!

Back