• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Secrets of Far Seas 2

SeadogX

Sailor Apprentice
A video gaming website BestGamer.ru and BGTeam are glad to present you a new project � City of Abandoned Ships: Secrets of Far Seas 2. You are to find out an unforgettable atmosphere of adventures at sea and meet your old mates from SOFS. A sequel to that very familiar story waits for you. Despite that, the new game will be the same interesting for the new players, because the story of the sequel is a very independent one. Your protagonist will be a Spaniard of an English origin � name�s Peter Blake. A few years had gone since the ending of the first game. Many things had changed since then. Blake lost everything: his ship, his reputation and his beloved. What happened with Peter? Is he strong enough to take everything back? New secrets and mysteries, new dangerous enemies, new staunch friends and old companions.
SOFS 2 is based on Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships. In addition to what has already been said there will be changes in a game play component of the game.

Main changes and fixtures of the game:
1) Peter Blake � an old main character in a new reincarnation � he became older and mature, more brutal and savage, but his kind and honest heart never betrayed him. That�s a new appearance of Blake. Now he has to fight not only with his enemies but also with himself.
2) Old mates and new enemies in the game. Lots of different characters. Bloody thugs and mysterious assassins, staunch friends and old companions.
3) Leaving needless realism and hard-core. Global revision of difficulty levels in the game.
4) A pronounced guideline connected with main story and secondary quests (but it never means the game becomes very linear).
5) Completely new quests filling of the game.
6) New system of punishments for thievery. It�s more detailed and interesting than in CoAS.
7) Putting items on the hero interface. You need to put on your items in order that they will give pluses to your character.
8) Careening of a vessel.
9) Powder room.
10) Building your own colony as a part of a special quest line.
11) Correction of game settings.
12) New vessels and ships.
13) New weapons.
14) New items and artefacts.
15) Revision of abilities and skills in the game.
16) New and updated soundtrack for the game.

All this and much more will expect you in City of Abandoned Ships: Secrets of Far Seas 2!

The first build of the game is going to be released in the first quarter of 2010.

Now � really good news! 

If we are lucky and strong enough, we will release the first build of the English localized version of the game nearly in the same time with the Russian release! This is our very main aim and we are really looking forward to bring you this happiness. 

All who are able and want to help us in releasing (and mostly it�s all about translation of the texts and dialogues) of the English version of the game, please, contact me via PM or ICQ or e-mail or some other way. We do really appreciate your support!

All the questions you have you are welcome to ask here in this theme. I�ll do my best to answer them as fast as possible.

Cheers!

Dmitry Pshenichny aka SeadogX. BGTeam writer and foreign promotions manager.

This sounds very cool. I am especially interested in the punishment system (since this one is kinda lame, they just attack you) and the new characters and quests. Do you already have some screenshots?

yeah a handless character would be rather awesome :woot .seriously the game sounds cool.
though i have yet to play the first secrets of the far seas mainly cause i too lazy
to translate :razz .anyway good look on it.

Do you already have some screenshots?
No, we don't have any screenshots yet.

Here's what's already done according to Kopcap's report at Russian forum:

* the base for addon is ready;
* main fixtures from SoFS are transferred;
* a new main texture for Peter Blake is ready;
* hard working on the main story and secondary quests - two primary quests are written; about three large secondary quests are written and there's also a huge pack of mini-quests :);
* coding the quests is coming very soon.

Closer to winter there will be some screenshots and a teaser for the game. Watch the update!

Great news, but an English translation would surely be key, matey! :doff

Fred Bob hasn't yet seen SoFS released in English yet! :shrug

0.1.1016 alpha of SoFS 2 (for developers only) was released at Saturday, 17th of October.

It includes:

1. New and the only main character - Peter Blake;
2. CoAS quests are removed;
3. Base for new quests is ready;
4. New main menu;
5. New loading icon - a pearl;
6. New punishments for thievery;
7. Putting clothes on the character (not yet fully completed);
8. Careening of a vessel;
9. Powder room;
10. New graphics of relations with nations interface

and etc.

:gday

Hey there!

- Are you a romantic? Have you ever wanted to fulfil yourself?
- You like working in a team of creative people, and the spirit of SeaDogs / Age of Pirates series is just like a breath of fresh air? - So the world of Secrets of Far Seas 2 is just for you!

- You are given a unic opportunity to put your talent and zeal into the project you'll surely be proud of.

To develop a sequel to the most popular fan made Age of Pirates game we need:
1) texture artists (2D graphics)
2) quest writers (imagination and creativity are welcome)

To make a fully completed SoFS2 ENGLISH VERSION we need:
1) translators from Russian into English
2) editors of English texts

SoFS2 is to be developing on the platform of COAS, so just mind it.
Much is already done and the first builds of the both versions are to come very soon but we do still really need your help!

SoFS2 is waiting for YOU!

---
With any questions contact me via PM or ICQ or e-mail.

Dmitry Pshenichny aka SeadogX, BGTeam.

P.S. Does anyone know where's Cap'n Drow? He's just.. gone. Any info or way to contact, please? Thank you.

Careening of a vessel.

Does this relate to an improved sailing model? Not sure what it means otherwise. My hope is of course a dynamic physics-based sailing model with player customisable ballast, hydrodynamic upgrades and POTC Build 14 style ship and rigging customisation. Might be in my dreams, of course.

Back on topic;

I have a score of years doing small scale editorial work for corporate related documents and might be interested in (might meaning, I fully expect to be given a task in initiation... and very soon, to test my suitability)

2) quest writers (imagination and creativity are welcome)

that, and might as well toss me this

2) editors of English texts

as well.

I don't have much to show for my expertise but I've been doing a fair bit of writing for this site recently if you could take a look here:
POTC Build 14 Manual Project

Finally:

I have a great respect for Russian games, starting from Sea Dogs and then a few years later, IL-2 Sturmovik (which arguably is still the best multiplayer flight sim).

Thank ye kindly :)

I looked up on the "official" pirate definition of the word "careening" and realised it implied beaching a vessel on shore, or at least keeling her over so one side of the hull was exposed, to repair the ship.

To clean or repair a pirate ship by beaching it and turning it over on its side. This was the time when pirate ships were most vulnerable to attack.

I'm not sure how that relates to gameplay, as we do have store-like shipyards from all Sea Dogs series and successor games.

Well, look, the bilge of a vessel wears because of time and it gives some minuses to vessel's properties. Then you go to a shipyard and there's an opportunity to careenage your vessel for money just like to fix its sails or body.

P.S. Does anyone know where's Cap'n Drow? He's just.. gone. Any info or way to contact, please? Thank you.

SeadogX, I believe he had some real life issues come up that he had to deal with, the last I heard form him was THIS post in The Burning Brig. I have no doubt he will return at some point mate, some things just take time.

As for careening, yup SWS your definition is pretty much right on. I would also add however, that pirates usually did this in secluded cove or a bay to keep away from prying eyes. They would drive her up onto the beach and wait for the tide to go out, leaving her sitting in the sand. They would also usually time it so the next tide would rise even higher than the last, making it much easier to re-float her. They would also scrape the barnacles and other marine life off the ship to keep her running at top speed. Dealing with shipyards was a risky business for a pirate.

Dealing with shipyards was a risky business for a pirate.

Not being a real pirate, I didn't think of that at first. I was too used to having a "pirate shipyard" somewhere in the game world :3

Could you please include musket carrying, just like the hardcore mod? Oh and BTW, I have a pack of unreleased 1670-80's english soldiers still on my harddisk for CoaS.

SeadogX, I believe he had some real life issues come up that he had to deal with, the last I heard form him was THIS post in The Burning Brig. I have no doubt he will return at some point mate, some things just take time.
Thanks, Thagarr, I got it. Let's hope he'll return as soon as possible. We need him strongly, as I'm sure all the forum users do, he has been taking an important part in our project and in the community at all.

Could you please include musket carrying, just like the hardcore mod? Oh and BTW, I have a pack of unreleased 1670-80's english soldiers still on my harddisk for CoaS.
Muskets are not to be involved, as far as I know. To soldiers - are those just new textures for the standard models or what? Anyway, we'll discuss it and I believe they'll be there if you like giving them to us as the exclusive textures for SoFS2.

Someone might think this is the beginning of another Pirate Exchange in modern Tortuga, Thagarr :3

They are retextures, but not of the models NOW used by the stock game. I used the model of the french officers as a base for the regular english soldiers and I used the french soldiers as a base for the musketeers. For the Officers I use the Hobart model.

Back