• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

seeking the ideal skill level

Nordica

Landlubber
im currently pirate hunting off the coast of Falaise de Fleur and i have been messing with the skill levels. apprentice and journeyman are a joke so i tried adventurer, but as far as boarding goes the jump in difficulty between journeyman and adventurer is gigantic. the guys go from 200hps to 500hps.

im using a lineship and boarding another lineship. My crew is roughly 3 times the size of the defenders (after plenty of grapeshot). My crew ends up getting slaughtered at about the same time i finish off the first guy im dueling, and `5-6` guys charge me all at once. the difference between journeyman and adventurer seems excessive. is there any way to improve the survivability of my crew while boarding?

i think it has something to do with the weapons your crew is generated with, sorry cant be of more help but there was a topic about it earlier as someone else had the same problem. either way in a few hours im sure someone else will give you a bit more help than i have....though that probably wont be hard xD:

Welcome aboard to :D

while im here bothering you people im having trouble with divide the plunder as well.

i sold my ships and everything in their cargo holds. i have 6 or so officers and an allied captain. when i divide the plunder at the loanshark my share is -2.9 million gold. something tells me that im not getting my fair share. 2 officers end up with a bit over 1 million gold and a few others have well over one hundred thousand.

any idea as to what im doing wrong?

if i fire all of my officers i end up with 10% of the money straight to my character with the rest going to the crew, but if i have even one officer they end up with a ton of gold.

THANKS!

No bother at all mate,thats what this site is all about, NK is aware of that problem as it has been brought up before,so prbably a fix in the next build :D

which problem are you referring to, skull? adventurer boarding too hard or Divideing plunder? or both?

btw you guys rule. as far as the retail POTC the only thing i could stand was sea battles. i played the whole main quest and ended up feeling cheated at the end. thanks for bringing the game much closer to the way it should have been.

as far as adventurer being too hard, i should mention that i gave my best weapons and armor to my level 20+ officers and had them board with me. they lasted about twice as long as the randomly generated crew but it was not nearly long enough, and capturing the ship wouldnt be nearly worth the aggrevation of losing 3 officers.

oh yeah...and how are character hps determined as you level?

i played around with it some more and it seems that enemy crew hps scale incorrectly on the third skill level if you get their crew percentage down too low. i can fight them at 50% crew capacity and do quite well but if they go to 20 or 30% i get slaughtered.

I know enemy ships usualy bombard ya with grape shot to take out yer crew,so I always attack enemy from their stern at around 45 degreee angle so they can't even get a stern shot at ya and teleport to last ship in convoy,then its easy to board,replace crew and so on till last ship is boarded and sunk :cheers

:rolleyes: Argh!! Speakin' of dee weapons, I was found dee bosun's mate under da pier, da moment I first hit shore at Oxbay!! Stupid me sold it though, thinkin' it a worth lots o' gold and not knowin' it be dee best Cutlass in da game...

Me finds dat havin' three, well armed officers board with ya can make a real difference in boardings... dee other day, fer instance, me took a French battleship from a mere sloop, and was able to keep it too 'cause enough of dem French were willing to work fer me after dey surrendered.

Also, don't ferget dat peltin' dee enemy with grapes not only weakens her crew, but also (with fewer to man der guns) slows her rate of fire.

"at be an interest'n find thar mate,never thought a look'n under de pier
as fer plunder'n ships I prefer tew kiss der rudder 'at way dey can't geet a broadside shot at yew,an blast some holes in der sails tew slow 'em down some xD:

Back