• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Select Storyline Interface Update?

Should the Choose Character part show Character Name or "Storyline Title"?

• Storyline Title (current situation)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Black Bart

Corsair
Storm Modder
Testing on the old Build 14 beta 1 Patch 7 was fine for all the Direct Sailing stuff, no CTD's at all, so it seems it is not a GPU issue (and all my other games are fine also).

As for some of the other things:

1. Select 'Free Play' on a New Game and you see a picture of a Julian McAllister, but you can pick different characters by clicking on his portrait, and his entry is under the title of 'Brave Black Flag' (i assume that is his story as the picture does not change?). But you can also click the arrow to the right to the next one which is a picture of a women with the title 'Spy and Assassin' but no mention of her name unless you choose her and then get her name on that initial starting screen for free play. I was thinking it might be better if you could see the characters names in the screen with those text descriptions, so for example for her something like:

"You are Milady de Winter, a women who is cunning, relentless, resourceful, amoral and dangerous.....etc"

And something like that for all the characters so you know without having to go in/out the screens whom you are going to be. Something like that?

Sadly photobucket is being crap recently (at least i have found it so) so posting screenshots is not as easy as it once was, i'll have to work something out for that.

You should be able to attach screenshots directly through the forum software.
Use the Attach button at the bottom of the page.

I think I understand what you mean with the character names now.
There are two times we could do: Have the character name shown as "title" instead of the "fake story name" or do as you suggest and have the characters' names in the description shown.
Not sure which would be the best solution.

If you care to look at those descriptions, they're all in program\models\initmodels.c

Select 'Free Play' on a New Game and you see a picture of a Julian McAllister, but you can pick different characters by clicking on his portrait, and his entry is under the title of 'Brave Black Flag' (i assume that is his story as the picture does not change?). But you can also click the arrow to the right to the next one which is a picture of a women with the title 'Spy and Assassin' but no mention of her name unless you choose her and then get her name on that initial starting screen for free play. I was thinking it might be better if you could see the characters names in the screen with those text descriptions, so for example for her something like:
Would this be better then?
upload_2016-1-27_19-34-27.png

The "storyline title" then doesn't show up in that screen, but does once you press "Select".

Extract attached to PROGRAM\INTERFACE to try.

Attachments

• select_storyline.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 202
@Pieter, Yeah (in ref to that pic you posted about free play character names in the text) just to make it easier to know whom you are reading about. I got Francis Drake from his picture, but some of them (especially the fantasy ones) are not so easy to know what is going on ;)

It is easy enough to change this in the code as it basically just requires removing some code that was already there.

Now the big question is: Is this better? I added a poll so hopefully people will vote so I can find out if I should include this modification or not.

How about both? Where else does the storyline title show up, as in if we lose that it might not be good as a straight swap. So in the case of the screenshot above it could be:

'Laurens de Graf: 'Storyline tile' (whatever that is :) )'

Or the other option is to precede the text body with the char name such as:

'Laurens de Graf: A great and *missunderstood pirate! according to Henry Morgan....etc'

*i wasn't sure on what the word was from your screenshot! :)

The "title" still shows after selecting the character. It doesn't really mean much; it is mainly for fun. :cheeky

I could see about prefixing the character name to the "story description".
That sounds doable.

Back