• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Sending officers to naval school

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
You want officers which are specialized in a certain area but for some of these area's it might be quite hard to have them get xp there.
So I sugest we open the naval school at antigua for public :p.
You first need to get an acceptence letter, which an naval officer will have straight away. A merchant can buy it from the EITC. Other player types have to do a little quest or something like that to prove they can be trusted.
After you got it you can send an officer to the naval school. He will stay there and get an X amount of XP each day. You can select to have him get xp in a certain skill or xp on general. You can pick him up whenever you want but you do need to pay a little tutoition ofcourse ;).

Build 15 idea, I imagine?
It's not that hard and I think it would really benefit the gameplay. So when possible I want to do this for build 14 (but not 3.5)

It's not that hard and I think it would really benefit the gameplay. So when possible I want to do this for build 14 (but not 3.5)
But this was never necessary before, was it? Why would we need it now?
It also only makes sense if there is such a location for EVERY nation, doesn't it?

Would this perhaps not tie in well with the idea I had on Naval Officers actually having "Naval" Officers :D ?

Perhaps if you were a NO, you could obtain them from these places or indeed the equivalent to the Naval HQ's in Port Royal etc etc. I think basically if you were within the Navy Profession, you should be able to hire Navy Officers.
The letter of acceptance which you describe could work in the sense that they have another one which signifies that you have the right to recruit Naval Officers for your commission. Perhaps this could also be linked to a rank which would fit it, say Captain. They could maybe be slightly more professional than your average officer, not to say they are always however, and cost a bit more due to being of such a standing.

Not sure how it would work rank wise though. For example if you were a Lieutenant of say a ship like the interceptor, how many officers would u have on it? Rank wise?

1 Lieutenant - You
1 Junior Lieutenant
2 Midshipmen

etc etc etc :p

Just a thought but not a necessity and certainly would take some time to have this all functioning I would imagine :)

We would require a Naval Academy to be added for each nation for that.
Then a character there who allows you to hire officers there.
Not technically difficult, just requires time and effort.

We would require a Naval Academy to be added for each nation for that.
Then a character there who allows you to hire officers there.
Not technically difficult, just requires time and effort.

Further to that, I think it would be a good place also to hire "Special Characters" like Officers that would resemble those from the movie for example. Like the 2 Naval Officers, Lieutenant Commander Groves and Lieutenant Gillette, East India Company lieutenant, Royal Navy Lieutenant, Midshipman, etc etc etc.

I suppose all of it can be done and the feature expanded into other areas like suggested but it all would take time as u mentioned. (I love all this by the way :D)

Some specific movie characters are already part of the promotion rewards.
In fact, almost all officers for Aubrey and Nelson should be known characters.
Should be easy enough to add some more based on the character you're playing though.
Look at program\nk.c .

Some specific movie characters are already part of the promotion rewards.
In fact, almost all officers for Aubrey and Nelson should be known characters.
Should be easy enough to add some more based on the character you're playing though.
Look at program\nk.c .

Looking into it more I have managed to do this via promotion characters now. As you are aware I have a thread dedicated to getting things working :) Thanks Mr Boelen.

@Andouce could you maybe make a list of currently unused buildings in towns which could be used as an officer training location? At least each nation should have one. Mind it should work in all periods. It's no problem if some nations have more than 1.
Also could you just walk trough buildings and see which interior you think would fit best with this training school. Mind the interiors have to fit the exteriors a bit.

If you could make a list like that, I might be able to make the functionality.

@Andouce could you maybe make a list of currently unused buildings in towns which could be used as an officer training location? At least each nation should have one. Mind it should work in all periods. It's no problem if some nations have more than 1.
Also could you just walk trough buildings and see which interior you think would fit best with this training school. Mind the interiors have to fit the exteriors a bit.

If you could make a list like that, I might be able to make the functionality.

Sorry for the late response. My computer sort of malfunctioned but all is back in order once more! :p Just took me a while haha. On that note, I shall do so when I have the odd moment. Good work guys

Back