• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Serious Request

The beta 3.2 should have been replaced 11 months ago. But it is still om MODDB. :facepalm:rumgone

The beta 3.2 should have been replaced 11 months ago. But it is still om MODDB. :facepalm:rumgone
I didn't even restore anything until August 1st. It has only been a few months since then.
Haven't had much opportunity yet to actually do much proper work on it and I do want to get the chance to do that first.
Next public release has to be GOOD!

Whether related to my request here or not, it has been a long time indeed since I have seen so much fun cooperation in this community as during the past few weeks!
A lot of people have been and still are pitching in on the Build development and are cooperating with each other quite brilliantly.
That is what I have always liked about our PiratesAhoy! Community and I am very glad to see that even 11 years after it being started, we can still manage such feats.

This most definitely has made our current Beta 3.4 Release Candidate much, much better than I had ever imaged even a month ago.
It may have taken a substantial bit longer than originally intended, but if the price for the delays is this much fun, I'll gladly pay it!

So I'd like to thank everyone involved very much! Especially:
@Levis, whose tireless efforts to fix a great many bugs AND work in some new features that should greatly enhance gameplay have been truly stunning!
@Bartolomeu o Portugues and @Jack Rackham who not only worked on their individual storylines, but ended up very actively working together with everybody here
@Pillat who has done a great job at finding and addressing a great many graphical and auditory issues with the work being done
@Hylie Pistof, @Grey Roger, @ANSEL, @Jason, @Lukovsky_, @Skyworm who have helped tremendously with the ever-important testing
@Thagarr for his ever-lasting support and encourement

So once again, thanks very much to every single one of you and also to everyone whom I may have accidentally forgot to mention.
Here's to hoping we can keep this up also after Beta 3.4 has been released. There are still so many things we can do! :woot

Last edited:
I am bringing this issue back up.
We have a lot of things we want to do but a serious lack of people to do it.

A lot of the more advanced stuff comes down to me, but then when the foundation is laid, it also comes down to me to do the simple yet time consuming finishing.
Since I have a lot of other things on my mind these days that aren't pirate related, the work I need to do here is more of a burden than it is fun.
The amount of fixing and finishing I have had to do on other people's work can also be quite annoying.

So something needs to change here.
We have to limit ourselves to only doing a few things at a time instead of throwing a million ideas out there that are simply too much for now.
Additionally, if I post request for people to take care of certain parts of the development, please do what you can to support me there.

Long story short, if you want progress to continue, I don't want to have to do anything that isn't really necessary.

The above being said, I do appreciate the efforts of many people here.
We have been getting a lot done lately. I just have to reduce the amount of time and effort required on my part because I simply cannot afford to do everything I would like to get done.

For what it's worth, I do intend to finally post a comprehensive guide to exporting models from Maya soon, so my hope is that anyone wanting to do any future 3D-based modding will have the support they need. The earliest I expect to do this by is late May, once my studies are over.

Additionally, I will have finished learning the fundamentals of C++ by then, so I may be able to do a little more for the coding side (unless I get more involved in HoO development).

Other than that, maybe it's time to post a recruitment article for New Horizons?
I don't think we're doing enough to show our fans just how much work is done by so few people these days, so perhaps a simple statement of the facts is needed:
"Want more content? We need YOUR help!"

I'd certainly welcome more promotion. But other than the public release articles, I do not really want to have to do it myself.
Is @Red Back Dude available again to do some stuff? With perhaps some help by @Thagarr?

I haven't had a lot of free time lately, not sure if that is going to change any time soon either. Spring and summer are always pretty slow times to get things done around here. When I have time, I will start work on a news post for New Horizons, and try and tie it in with a possible GOG release that may indeed be coming soon. Not sure when I will have the time though. :shrug

Can someone please upload RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships\RN_Postillionen\RN_Postillionen_part1.gm for me?
The copy in my own game version is corrupted at 0 kb and I don't have all my other game versions with me today.

It seems we have hit a bit of a wall with our Beta 4 development. On the one hand, we are REALLY VERY CLOSE to release.
On the other hand, progress has gone to a crawling pace indeed.

We have a lot of new stuff that we need feedback on, but so far there has been a deafening silence.
There are a lot of Bug Tracker entries for which we need to know if they are now fixed and can be archived or if any work is still needed.

In other words: We need testing and comments so that we can confirm how far we truly are from the Beta 4 public release.
Anyone can help, so PLEASE DO!

Time to bring this thread up from the murky depths again.
This time because the Build Testing List | PiratesAhoy! keeps getting larger and larger when I would really much prefer to see it shrinking.
But that requires TESTING and FEEDBACK.

So I mean it very seriously:
Check that forum!
Test the items that are there.
The marked priorities are there for a reason.

To all you players and testers out there: Please help us find out if the various items are OK now.
The list must become SMALLER!

So as I said yesterday: we need to get this testing DONE.

This is extremely important because we don't know if we're ready for the public release until we've got confirmation of sorts on those items on the Build Testing List | PiratesAhoy! .

Here is my suggestion:
- Every day starting now, I'll post a reminder in several of the threads there.
- This "reminder" will include a short summary of exactly what it is that we need to determine.
- Everybody who is in any way capable of responding should at the very least respond.
- Even if only to say "I do not know" or "I don't mind" or something like that.

Because at least then we'll KNOW what the current status is.
Right now, with the overwhelming deafening silence on virtually all topics there,
I really have not the faintest clue if the things mentioned there are now actually OK or the complete opposite.

If you are willing to help out with this, please "Like" this post so I know I can count on your support here.

Note also that if I DON'T get the support I request and require here now, that is discouraging in the extreme.
It is no fun to put in a lot of time and effort on projects and just receive far too much silence in return.

In other words: Your cooperation (or lack thereof) may have major consequences on the future (or lack thereof) for the PotC Build Mod.

Most of the time I'm spending on PoTC these days is on developing the "Ardent" storyline. But if I encounter errors in the main game while doing so, I'll report them. In particular, I expect to be able to try out the Indian weapons when the storyline advances to a certain point, where I'd already been planning on using Indians before the recent developments on that front - thanks, @Jack Rackham!

Most of the time I'm spending on PoTC these days is on developing the "Ardent" storyline. But if I encounter errors in the main game while doing so, I'll report them.
Cheers. Since I know you're actively developing stuff, I wouldn't expect you to do a lot of targeted testing on stuff that isn't your own.

What modpack version are you on at the moment? Just for my personal reference.
Ideally I'd hope for everyone to be able to upgrade to the very latest one soon.
But until Confirmed Bug - Levelling: Error.log Entries Cause Stuttering at Sea | PiratesAhoy! is taken care of again, I can't reasonably request people to do so. :facepalm

I have exams for the next two weeks, so I can't afford to test anything, I'm sorry :(
I promise when I finish them, I will take a look to whatever it's needed.

So who is actually still doing some measure of play-testing on the latest Beta 4 WIP release?
And what would you consider to be the main areas that still need to be addressed before a proper public release of it?
What areas do you consider worse now than there were in earlier modpack versions?
And what was the "last good recent(ish) modpack version" that you remember?

And if you don't currently join in the play-testing of Beta 4, what is the reason?
If it is something with the actual mod itself (rather than a lack of time), I think we really need to know.

It is very important that we get some sort of Beta 4 finished, because we need some sort of steady base for playing AND future development.
I need to know the current facts as clearly as possible to figure out what would be best to do next.

And also: Who would be willing to help out with a proper, substantial push to get this OVER AND DONE WITH?
This applies to both testers AND modders, because I may need substantial support from both groups.

Im always ready to do some testing.
For starters, could you describe your general experiences with the latest version you played?
Both the good AND the bad. And of course mention which version that was. ;)

Back