• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Seventh Age: Steam Power

@Pieter Boelen do we have period depended cannons atm? I believe not right? Altough indeed it probably wouldn't be that hard to add them.
Thinking about it a bit more I guess a lot of the Upgrades Need to be disabled for the steamships also? And maybe allow other Upgrades?
I still want to take a look at the Upgrades after this public release so I could then make sure there is room for them.

I wasn't aware there was one already...last time I played (in build 13) I know the Tartane had a gunboat version..but I think that was it in terms of very small boats with guns really!
That's the one I'm referring to. Tiny boat with a cannon on the bow. :cheeky

@Pieter Boelen do we have period depended cannons atm? I believe not right? Altough indeed it probably wouldn't be that hard to add them.
No, we don't. Should be doable, but no point doing it until the need is actually there.

Thinking about it a bit more I guess a lot of the Upgrades Need to be disabled for the steamships also? And maybe allow other Upgrades?
I still want to take a look at the Upgrades after this public release so I could then make sure there is room for them.
Possibly. But maybe keep that on hold until there are enough steam ships to make that worthwhile.

My second ship it'd be great to get some opinions about for the 7th Age request is the HMS Rattler (1843). Quite possibly one of the most important ships in Naval history, she proved once and for all (at least to those whose opinion mattered) that screw propulsion was vastly more efficient, powerful and generally the better of anything that came before it.

(from wiki) "Rattler was pitted against a number of paddle-wheelers from 1843 to 1845. These extended trials were to prove conclusively that the screw propeller was as good as, indeed superior to, the paddlewheel as a propulsion system. The most famous of these trials took place in March 1845, with Rattler conclusively beating HMS Alecto in a series of races, followed by a tug-of-war contest in which Rattler towed Alecto backwards at a speed of 2 knots (3.7 km/h)..[]..She received a four-cylinder vertical single-expansion steam engine with double cylinders, rated at 200 nhp and developing 437 indicated horsepower (326 kW). Her armament consisted of a single 8-inch (60 cwt) pivot gun and eight 32-pounder (25cwt) broadside guns. She was commissioned at Woolwich on 30 January 1845 and was first commanded by Commander Henry Smith."

From a POTC perspective, she would need to be implemented as a class to be of any use, of course. However, with the fair armament and relatively fast turn of speed, she could be an interesting one to include as a mid-tier. Perhaps too weak to take on traditional SOTL's or Ironclads, but definitely able to hold her own in most battles. As a barque rigged sloop by class, her in-game size would be little greater than a Brig, only considerably heavier with deeper draft. She would also be historically steam power all the time outside of emergency (one of the first military vessels designed to do so), which means we could hopefully build from the anticipated success of the gunboat's lack of mast/sails. Her small turrets would be a great introduction for players into the later classes too, several of which should definitely be given turrets for more variety (ie Coastal ships, certain ironclads).

I've also been considering what Levis has said about the upgrade system. For wooden ones, stuff like the plating, bracing and deck flush could still be used, if not under a slightly different guise, no? It'd only be sail-dependent ones which need to be looked into for ships like this I guess. Some new upgrade options could be a good idea, ie pivot mounts for increased traversing fire etc :) Just ideas as I don't pretend to know how or if this would be implemented...

d1669_1.jpg
Alecto_and_Rattler.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this thread is really being watched anymore, but I'm happy to continue posting ideas up as they can hopefully help us out in the future. :yes

Introducing what was possibly the first steam frigate to be actively involved in war, the Karteria class (1820s paddle frigate), which I am proposing could be incorporated to the 6TH AGE as a kind of 'game-changer' but not 'game-breaker'. She's also different enough from the existing steam frigates to be viable.
Karteria.jpg Karteriamodel.jpg Picture-clipping-7.jpeg SG 1171.jpg WatercolourofKarteria.jpg
pw8052.jpg

History

'A 125ft long, 25 wide, 400 ton, 4-masted schooner with two engines run on steam from coal-fired boilers, 16 rpm, 84 horse, driving port/starboard paddle wheels & 6 knots. Originally she was to have one 32 pound gun forward & one aft, & two 68 pounders in the middle, fired in turn with the ship rotating by her paddle wheels. Red hot shot was to be used, which was lethal for enemy sail &wood ships. She traveled under sail & the steam engines were used only in action.'

-http://www.captainfrank.co.uk/article/karteria-the-first-steam-warship-in-war-1826

For the Build-Mod

Being Greek but of British construction, she would feature as a British-designed ship in-game. Her speed and schooner-like agility would give other steamers and even larger SOTLs a run for their money. She'd mount ten moderate-weight guns (1,4,4,1) and an ability to reach high speeds even against the wind thanks to her schooner rig and engines. IMHO, she'd make a perfect coastal vessel for the larger ports ie Jamaica, Antiqua, Martinique.

As a side note, she's the *only* steam paddle frigate from this period to have excellent reference material still around (at least, from my research she is...), which would make her much more accurate to model. Her use of a schooner rig as opposed to 100% steam could also simplify coding...

Last edited:
Of course not! Many more priorities to be addressed first. I just meant it's always good to have a database for if/when we do need it :onya I'm probably going to make a start on Karteria once I get my current projects done...not necessarily for the game but just as a hobby. Being 6th age though hopefully we can sneak my current one in sometime if it gets community approval...:wp

Last edited:
Being 6th age though hopefully we can sneak my current one in sometime if it gets community approval...:wp
When she makes it into the game in any sort of reasonable fashion, she'll make it into the mod.
In the worst case, she can be a "Vanderdecken ship" or only for sale.

I haven't yet found him in the game, but for sale was my intention all along anyway as it'd be good to have her in an introductory fashion in tier 8, though maybe a little more rare than other ships, it could work since she'll be so incredibly easy to sail for beginners (thanks for that idea @Armada !)...it's the Demologos model I'm working on which Thagarr suggested could be used in a quest.

I actually had an idea yesterday. Maybe it's a bit stupid, but...possibly she could be a permanent coastal fixture for one or two of the more powerful settlements? Kind of a first line of defense before the fort in the 6th age? Especially if we have a 7th age, the forts will start being overpowered a lot easier if there are steam frigates mounting 42-ibers floating around...

I haven't yet found him in the game, but for sale was my intention all along anyway as it'd be good to have her in an introductory fashion in tier 8, though maybe a little more rare than other ships, it could work since she'll be so incredibly easy to sail for beginners (thanks for that idea @Armada !)...it's the Demologos model I'm working on which Thagarr suggested could be used in a quest.
It'll be harder to PREVENT that than to allow it. So no worries there. ;)

I actually had an idea yesterday. Maybe it's a bit stupid, but...possibly she could be a permanent coastal fixture for one or two of the more powerful settlements? Kind of a first line of defense before the fort in the 6th age? Especially if we have a 7th age, the forts will start being overpowered a lot easier if there are steam frigates mounting 42-ibers floating around...
Theoretically possible, yes. But less easy to set up. We can deal with that when the time comes.

Back