• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Shared Dialogs for Governors

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Today I managed to split Reynard Grueneveld's dialog file into a character-specific part and a generic "governor dialog".
Now we'll be needing to do the same thing with ALL other governor dialog files.
Once that is done, we are free to add to and edit the governors as we see fit without having to do the same thing in a gazilion files! :woot

Thanks go to @Levis for the functionality that allows this. :onya

Do you have any thoughts on whether it is possible to use different .h files for the same generic dialog file?
Otherwise all characters might end up talking really rather similar to each other.

atm its not possible. You could just include something in the dialog file to make it pick a specific line. Like write 3 types of line for the things and have a random number determine which one is picked. or for example have it based on nationality. you can do that for some lines and keep others the same so they do look different.

True, that should be possible. We'll have to see when the time comes.
For now it is functionality over fancy stuff though. :cheeky

I just spent some time looking at Reynard's different files in different storylines.
What a mess! So many copies and they're all slightly different.

Perhaps I should reduce the number of individual storylines BEFORE continuing on this.
At least that would reduce the number of copied files.

And the "generic" one should have some default story content included so that only storylines that don't use those need a separate files.

Would there be anyone available to set GroupDialogs for ALL governors and to start clearing out duplicate content from the files?

this is why I eventually gave up on doing this :p.
Maybe @Pillat could help with this? It's mostly just copy paste stuff

In this case we have little choice.
Either we do this or we won't be adding functionality through existing governors.

It should get easier once I get rid of some storylines.
Less copies are so much simpler.

We have a lot less double governor dialog files, which is what this was all (partly) about.
Next up:
- Assign shared dialog files to ALL governors
- Remove all common content from their unique files

I have now applied shared dialog files to ALL governors. Next week I'll post an update with this included.
If I did it well, you should notice absolutely no difference.

Chances are that there are some mistakes hiding here and there though such as:
- Governors not providing the "regular" functionality when they should (if they got skipped on the shared dialog assignment)
- Governors having multiple lines of dialog for the same purpose (if their individual files didn't get cleaned properly)
- All sorts of dialogs generating error.log messages (I removed a lot of shared dialogs, which involved moving specific quest coding to the general folder)
- Quests that do not work in certain storylines (because they weren't there before, but actually DO have their start code available now)

I also noticed that a LOT of dialogs contain quest coding that most likely should not be there.
For example, I saw at least 5 different dialogs with code related to Nigel Blythe.
That suggests you can complete that quest at a lot more places than you should be able to. UGH!

Ideally we should have done all this many years ago so that we never would have gotten into the messy code situation that we are now.
But we can't really do anything about that now, unless we want to start modding from scratch. Just have to deal with it, I suppose. :facepalm

Anyway, this is a start. It probably won't be perfect yet. But with some playtesting, I'm sure we can iron out the rough edges.
And when we do, it'll be a whooole lot easier to add new functionality to all governors for improve LoM handling and/or navy play.

As part of my cleaning up of multiple copies of the same file, I have now moved ALL Standard storyline DIALOG files into the shared folder.
That includes the files for sidequests, so those don't need to be individually in their own folders anymore.

However, that also put a bunch of superfluous files in the shared folder that really ARE used only in the Standard storyline.
So does anyone have an idea which characters are used SOLELY in the Standard storyline main quest and NOT in any of its sidequests?
@Talisman, you perhaps?

As part of my cleaning up of multiple copies of the same file, I have now moved ALL Standard storyline DIALOG files into the shared folder.
That includes the files for sidequests, so those don't need to be individually in their own folders anymore.

However, that also put a bunch of superfluous files in the shared folder that really ARE used only in the Standard storyline.
So does anyone have an idea which characters are used SOLELY in the Standard storyline main quest and NOT in any of its sidequests?
@Talisman, you perhaps?

This is the list of characters which I have come up with

If you have any doubts about any then I suggest you look carefully at the dialog files to see if there is anything related to sidequests :yes

Silehard --- ?? needed for Edgar Attwood Quest ???
Raoul Rheims
Valentin Massoni
Ameil Berangere
Ewan Glover
Wilfred
Tobias
Rabel Yverneau
Mr Blair
Danielle Green
Henry Peat
Gordon Carpenter
Clement Aurentius
Vincent
Ferro Cerezo
Leborio Drago
Captain Pinto
Wilfred Bythesea

:drunk

Last edited:
Thanks! I moved all those dialog files back into the Standard folder, so we'll see what happens now.

Other things done:
- Asking for "tavern news" added to shared dialog file, so this should now apply to ALL relevant characters, including those in the Jack Sparrow storyline.
- Changed the ordering of some dialog links, which will hopefully resolve @Grey Rogers' request for the Fetch Quests.
- "Exit" dialog moved to last position in many instances, so you should be able to quickly exit dialogs by going all the way down.

@Talisman, you perhaps?

Just had another look at the dialog files -- here are a few more that I think are only for the Standard -Main Story.

French Occupant_2_dialog
French_arrester_2_dialog
French_arrester_dialog
Leaving_Oxbay_dialog
Ralph fawn_dialog
Virgil Boon_dialog

:doff

Has anyone playing the Beta 3.5 WIP files been talking to any governors lately?
Do they behave themselves? No missing options or double ones? Do they give Ship Hunting quests and promotions properly?

Also, if you capture any towns for yourself, now ALL governors should be aware that YOU are the boss.
The dialog functionality is still limited for now, but at least they will no longer pretend that they're all high and mighty. ;)

I'll ask the question again: Any weird effects with governors in the Beta 3.5 WIP or do they seem to be working properly?

When I visited the governor of San Juan when I first spoke to him the dialog was blank for both of us. The 2nd time I tried it we had proper dialogs and I got a letter of marque.

I have visited all the governors except the French one now.

Back