• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Shared XP Discussion

Bascialy, outside of sailing, leadership, and fencing, I don't have a hope of outpacing my officers and officer candidates, which seems as it should be.
If that is indeed the case, then it follows my intentions there very well. :onya

I believe till now nothing is yet included in the build. So what is the idea now?

I believe till now nothing is yet included in the build.
Nothing has been included in the actual Build EXE since 28 July 2016.

So what is the idea now?
Haven't the foggiest. We were making progress on the discussions, which led to two different and mutually exclusive approaches that would require a toggle.
Then we had some ideas that could potentially merge the two approaches, but @Grey Roger never did provide any constructive feedback on that for us to use.

I'm still hoping he will think along with us on this some time, as I'd really rather make use of his good ideas as much as we possibly can.
But if not, we have several things we could do:
1. Do nothing, since the current system isn't necessarily broken
2. Revert to our original "two approaches with a toggle"
3. Proceed with our idea to allow players to choose what skills to share individually per officer, regardless of @Grey Roger's support

This list is in order of "amount of effort required and risk involved".
Personally I do not necessarily object to "low risk solutions".

Personally I think the option with the chosing of skills is very nice and could lead into interesting scenario's. Like I said we could add a toggle on how many skills you can choose so people can change it if they want.

Personally I think the option with the chosing of skills is very nice and could lead into interesting scenario's. Like I said we could add a toggle on how many skills you can choose so people can change it if they want.
I agree it is the option with the most potential for interesting stuff.
It is also more time-consuming to do, apparently more controversial(???) and ultimately more risky.

Nothing has been included in the actual Build EXE since 28 July 2016.

Haven't the foggiest. We were making progress on the discussions, which led to two different and mutually exclusive approaches that would require a toggle.
Then we had some ideas that could potentially merge the two approaches, but @Grey Roger never did provide any constructive feedback on that for us to use.

I'm still hoping he will think along with us on this some time, as I'd really rather make use of his good ideas as much as we possibly can.
But if not, we have several things we could do:
1. Do nothing, since the current system isn't necessarily broken
2. Revert to our original "two approaches with a toggle"
3. Proceed with our idea to allow players to choose what skills to share individually per officer, regardless of @Grey Roger's support
That's pretty much my preference list too.
1: preferred
2: will see how it fares
3: will see how it fares, warily.

@Grey Roger, what about number 3 when combined with Levis's proposal to include an internal settings number that defines how many skills can be shared?

It would require a little management--when you first hire the officer, talk once, select all the skills in the dialogue, but you wouldn't have to mess with it after that, and it would exactly replicate the current system in effect. Are there addditinal concerns that can be addressed?

Would that not be an unnecessarily complicated version of 2? You don't want more than one or two skills shared, I'd like to keep the current system where they're all shared, a toggle would achieve that, then anyone else could choose which system they prefer. That also has the advantage of not complicating the dialog with the officer.

Note also that not all officers are hired in the normal system, some are assigned by storylines. These don't necessarily use the standard officer dialog. So selecting skills to share with the officer by dialog with the officer will not work for them.

Would that not be an unnecessarily complicated version of 2? You don't want more than one or two skills shared, I'd like to keep the current system where they're all shared, a toggle would achieve that, then anyone else could choose which system they prefer. That also has the advantage of not complicating the dialog with the officer.
Technically yes. The main difference is that you can create situation inbetween both extremes.
So @Tingyun would get the chance to share skills with officers still on the ship and you'd get the chance to not share all skills with everyone at the same time.

Note also that not all officers are hired in the normal system, some are assigned by storylines. These don't necessarily use the standard officer dialog. So selecting skills to share with the officer by dialog with the officer will not work for them.
We were brainstorming with @Levis to make it selection boxes in the interface next to each skill instead, which should fit.
Bit more work, but he said it should be doable.

Grey Roger, idea 2 was shore party shares XP. I thought that could be fun, but Pieter's idea of dialogue defined single skill for all officers would be much more fun and strategically interesting (notice how escited I got after it was proposed).

So, no, 3 would be far far far more interesting Gameplay wise.

The interface option sounds amazing as well! :)

Grey Roger, idea 2 was shore party shares XP.
Or, more accurately, to have a toggle between "general sharing with ALL officers for ALL skills" or "sharing with shore party only for ALL skills".

Yes, sorry, I meant since grey roger was asking me why I wanted 3 when 2 looks simpler, from my perspective 3 allows interesting choices of developing each officer, while 2 is comparitivelly boring. :)

I agree on all accounts. #3 offers more player choice and role playing potential.
It is also more work and potentially more risky. So #2 is for certain the simpler approach.

Also, much easier to implement. Really, I think the primary deciding factor should be: Does someone want to spend their time creating the new interface or dialogue system?

If no one wants to in the forseeable future, then I think 2 is the way to go, because it would be much faster to make. But if someone wants to create it, then we should try it out. Either of the solutions would have me stop disabling shared xp, and either is a huge improvement from my perspective. :)

Then I reckon we can safely say it should be #2 or #3. Since I definitely won't do #3 myself, the choice to do so lies with @Levis.
If he thinks the advantage exceeds the effort and risk involved, then I will not stop him from making it happen! :cheers

Also, as a general offer to @Levis and everyone else, if there is ever anything you need tested that you believe is risky, I am always willing to playtest it for you. If desired I can even add it to my experimental modification and I and the couple of other brave souls who are trying it out can experiment with it over a longer term period until it is judged fully ready.

This one might not need that conservative an approach, but if it does, and for any other experiments, I am always ready to help. :)

I still want to do some more work on the character interface so trying to implement this I don't mind. Personally I like the idea very much too and it would result in some interesting opertunities.

Back