• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Ship against wind

danitim1

Sanka Da Vinci
Storm Modder
Hey guys, I would like to know if there is anyway or in any code file that I could remove the sailing against wind speed from 0 and add a normal speed to the ship if he's against the wind.
This is for AoP:CoAS

Last edited:
This is funny actually because I just asked someone for help with this today because I want to improve weather in some areas. He told me to go here: GeneratorUtilite in Program\Characters

At the bottom of the file is a segment called "SEA" and that is where all of these numbers are. He told me other places too but thought this was where i should go first. I am playing with it now.

Hey guys, I would like to know if there is anyway or in any code file that I could remove the sailing against wind speed from 0 and add a normal speed to the ship if he's against the wind.
This is for AoP:CoAS
You want to be able to sail against the wind in CoAS? Does that game not have some sort of Arcade Game Mode you can switch to?

You might want to look in PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c, specifically the Ship_UpdateParameters function. That is where the actual speed is set for your ship.
You can use the tricks posted here to trace the various other functions there and see how it works: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!

Also, this is a funny line of code!
Code:
float fMaxSpeedY = stf(rShip.TurnRate) / Sea_TurnRateMagicNumber(); //boal
Apparently they like magic numbers so much that they turned it into a full-blown function!
:rofl :rofl :rofl

COAS is an arcade game that allows one to sail into the wind just fine. I do not believe I have seen my ship ever go backwards although it has stopped. A small change of course is all that is needed to get going again.

Why would anyone want to play a sailing game where the wind is not a factor?

This is funny actually because I just asked someone for help with this today because I want to improve weather in some areas. He told me to go here: GeneratorUtilite in Program\Characters

At the bottom of the file is a segment called "SEA" and that is where all of these numbers are. He told me other places too but thought this was where i should go first. I am playing with it now.

It is too bad that @Luke159 doesn't come around much anymore as he would know the answer.

BTW, it is against forum policy to have multiple addresses especially when one is in India and the other is in the United States. Which one would you prefer we eliminate?:doff

Hello Peter Boelen, Yes PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c is a file I am also becoming familiar with. Thank you.

Hello Hylie Pistoff, This is understandable I think. I am from Ensenada, Mexico. I have the commercial satellite service here and my ISP is in Los Angeles, California USA which is about 2 to 3 hours drive depending on the traffic. I signed up for identity protection so there should be no surprise that my ISP might route some traffic thru other places. I think this is common practice now, no? I'm sure I appear from L.A. and Mexico and possibly other places. If you wish me to force my ISP to a single ID I do not think this is possible. Now maybe I know why my friends do not sign up here. I know there is much US anger to Mexico these days. I do know that Americans like to watch everyone. But I did not realize this was such a problem that even private hobby websites would monitor me. I am not too comfortable with this. Perhaps I will just use this membership to look at photos occasionally here from now on. Los saludos cordiales

No no no. This has nothing to do with Mexico and most Americans do not feel the same as the 28% who support Trump.

It does have to do with us being very aware of spammers and there was a bad one based in India a while back, so that is why I became suspicious. I myself have many as every time I change servers or use someone else's system it changes locations. One outfit had me showing up in Kansas on a known spammer hosting site.

We all need to be alert to our security.

COAS is an arcade game that allows one to sail into the wind just fine. I do not believe I have seen my ship ever go backwards although it has stopped. A small change of course is all that is needed to get going again.

Why would anyone want to play a sailing game where the wind is not a factor?
Where is the Arcade mode option? Didn't see it anywhere :unsure

COAS IS an arcade game with unrealistic sailing already. The GOF2 team did try to make the sailing more realistic but it is still far from what POTC is like. All sailing into the wind does is slow you down a bit.

Ooh, got that, I have the GoF2. Anyways, I've found out how to play arround with the wind, just like Galleon said. Thank you so much for responding this thread! Fair Winds Mates!

Back