• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship battle game crashes - NK 10.1

cwineman

Landlubber
I've been running into a frustrating crash during ship battles. It happens when I try to exit out the screen where you can select your officers.

A typical scenario is:
I am in a ship battle. I get close to an enemy ship and prepare to board. I switch my officers so that I have good fighters with me. Or a least not a bunch of vulnerable weak fighters. Sometimes it crashes when I try to exit and board the ship.
Or it doesn't crash yet, but after the ship is captured, and I try to put my usual officers back, then it crashes.

It's getting pretty annoying. Has anyone else experienced this?

-cwineman

when your on the dock press T key then board your ship,NK put a fix in for crashes, hope that helps :):

skull,

I'm not sure I follow. My problem happens in sea battles. There is no dock. What would pressing 'T' do anyway?

Should NK's mods have any effect on what I am talking about?

-cwineman

cwineman, if you are running NK's build, there is a fix in it for problems such as yours. You need to be on land to do this - so before you board your ship to go out and have a battle, just hit the "T" button and a lot of things in the game will simply reset themselves - and most likely fix whatever small thing might have been "corrupted" and is causing your game to crash while at sea.

Hope this helps! :p

Thanks, all.

I tried pressing the 't' key to `re-initialize` and do whatever that does. It looks like it worked. I finally made it through a ship battle without a crash. Changed officers, took over a ship, the works.

What is the difference between the 't' and 'i' keys?

-cwineman

T key forces the game to do a loop and reset game, I key reinitializes the ini.c files :):

skull,

So does 't' do everything does 'i' does? Or vice versa? Or do they each do mutually exclusive things.

I guess what I'm getting at it is, when something screws up, which key should I use? Or always use both? If this has been covered in another thread, please post a link, so I don't waste people's time in this thread.

-cwineman

"I" will `re-initialize` a lot of things in the game, town size, goods, cost, &tc to default. It is best used when you are making build upgrades.

"T" resets the game in progress - loops it, so to speak - so that if there happens to be anything that might have gotten "stuck", this will hopefully "unstick" it.

Don't worry about wasting anyone's time in here, cwineman - usually if there's something we can point you to about this, we'd have already done it. After all, we ARE (arrrrrrrrgh!) pirates! :) :)

Actually there IS a "Build Readme.rtf" file for NK's build that should give you the info on this. It should be in your PotC game file if you installed the mods.

Here's an exerpt:

(At sea) F2-> Enter/Exit Cabin to enter cabin
(in cabin) F2->Enter/Exit Cabin to exit cabin
F2->Advanced lets you donate personal wealth to the party fund (see below) by clicking donate, or open the transfer interface with another ship by choosing its captain and clicking transfer.
C: Drink a potion
L: Toggles various logs on/off (the `character-appear` logs, the XP logs, etc.)
K: Toggles Always Run on/off (you must change the area to “refresh” the always run state, i.e. walk somewhere and make the scene change, or enter/exit your cabin)
I: Reinitialize. You MUST do this at least once after adding items/ships/rumors, or changing prices/stats, i.e. if you’re upgrading from a previous build. See the Changelog for more details.
N: Change your name. This resets your name to the name entered in the NK.c file in the PROGRAM folder in your POTC folder. You can edit it with notepad and change the name listed; then just load the game and press N, and your name will update. Please see the end of Section II.
T: Shows the name, fencing skill, and HP of the character in front of you.
R: Toggles 1x/3x time acceleration.
G: If time is 1x, sets to 10x; otherwise sets to 30x (press R to go back to 1x).
ALSO: If you attempt to board your ship from land, and the game crashes, reload and press T and then try again. If it still crashes, drop me a note at either forum.

That's right. I forgot where I had seen all of those things described. But now that I look at it - from the excerpt:

"T: Shows the name, fencing skill, and HP of the character in front of you. "

I wondered why I got that unexpected message about "Rys Bloom is fencing 5 with 155 HP" or whatever. I guess either the documentation is old/wrong, or that 'T' function does a lot of extra stuff. It doesn't say anything about the resetting or looping or whatever it does.

Anyway, it worked. Now I need to shake off the rust, my little pirate fleet just got its ass kicked by a frigate and a galleon.

Yes, T has been "recycled" if you will, to not just show the char's name, fencing, HP, but also fix a few errors (if said errors exist).
It does _not_ really reinitialize anything; it just does a couple _specific_ error checks and fixes. Since, if the error doesn't exist, it won't fix it, there's never any _harm_ in pressing T; so that way we save keys by doubling it up (besides, it prevents having to reset controls to default and recustomize, that comes with adding any new keys).

I, on the other hand, _does_ do a somewhat massive amount of reinitialization, and I highly recommend _not_ reiniting _unless_ you're upgrading to a new build, or otherwise changing items/ships/`what-have`-you. As it _can_ sometimes screw things up, quite apart from forcing a refresh of the towns (which _could_ be considered a cheat...).

Again, unless you've changed items/ships/goods/whatever, or the towns are screwed up, please _don't_ press I, as it won't help.

today i had my first crash for a very long time ......
this has as I believe nothin to do with the build .....
but acc. to Berethasoft, a problem caused by minium system req. not meet.
after a restart of da comp, and a defrag, the game worked fine again.

so to those others that have same sort of crashes ....
do a hd clean up once a while, it will help.
:cheers

Good point der Jack,I'd be us'n a Regy cleaner an derag when need be,speeds up yer computer fer sure :cheers

also I discovered that it seems that the `re-ini` funktion do some cleaning in the game your at.......
it helps me run without crashes........
tried it a couple of times in game....... simply NOT hit "I" and then the game crashes after an hour or les. and especialy if i wnat to sea battle...
so for me it works fine, hit "I" every time I enter the pier, then NO crashes.
xD:

Huh, weird, that.

I mean, pressing I shouldn't _harm_ anything (well, it may if there's a typo in one of the init files, not that _that's_ likely with yours truly rewriting them every few seconds... xD: :d: ); but it shouldn't really _help_ either.
But, hey, whatever works! :p:

Re: crash on officer assignment. Yes, I've gotten those too, though they now appear much less frequent. However, they may be either a DLL bug or a very _buried_ bug, as IIRC they didn't leave anything in the error log, just `insta-crash`.

<!--`QuoteBegin-NathanKell`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NathanKell)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Huh, weird, that.

I mean, pressing I shouldn't _harm_ anything (well, it may if there's a typo in one of the init files, not that _that's_ likely with yours truly rewriting them every few seconds...  :cheers  :bow ); but it shouldn't really _help_ either.
But, hey, whatever works! :bow

Re: crash on officer assignment. Yes, I've gotten those too, though they now appear much less frequent. However, they may be either a DLL bug or a very _buried_ bug, as IIRC they didn't leave anything in the error log, just `insta-crash`.[/quote]

To me the `re-ini` DOES help, I just been playing at swachbuckler level for 3 dayz now, and NO crashes appeared, and I use the `re-ini` before going to sea, and by every load a savegame.

The officer crash, only appear when I assign ability to an officer between bording enemy ships at sea battle ............
so I just wait to I reach land to assign skills and abilities.....

:cheers
vajsj.jpg

Haha, only five thousand two hundred acres??? You only working for one governor, Mr. `Vice-Admiral`? :cheers

Seriously, that's a pretty great screenshot, JSJ! Heh... Looks like you've been busy! :cheers :bow

Back