• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Ship battles, premature battle end?

colmaniac

Sailor
Hi, during sea battles. (very large) engagemants +5 ships and greater,
If I have a nation flag flying, say British, against spanish, with british already engaged, fighting the spanish sonetimes the battle would end if more that 2 ships are sunk, and im unable to engage the rest of them.

what usually happens is on the 2nd sinking the `end of battle` tune would sound and id get the world map icon come up, I have tried changing the flag but the battle wont reingage, even hoisting the JR wont start a battle, though occasionaly it does but not often.

on smaller engagements you have a good chance of killing off the enemy and loot them.

one engagement I had it was massive 3 british ships, my 4 battleships and 10 enemy ships which included 2 100 gun battleships, to whick I only need 1 of them to `upgrade` my lower rank 100gunner,

I just went straight in for the ship I wanted and got her, during the rest of the battle I had the `end of battle` tune, and I was able to save the game, as massive battles caused alot of CDT`s, though helpfull in saving during a battle, getting a ship I wanted and not being able to reingage is anoying.

on the odd occasion where battle ending and able to save and reingaging by changing flags, a large engagement (with the odd cdt), a battle would last more than 10 mins, though this is very rare.

is there a problem in the way im attacking or a larger problem with the game itself?

I think that may be related to the "surrendering" of the flag-ship of a fleet.
For some reason that we never did figure out, sometimes that turns all the other ships in the fleet neutral as well.

Could that be what is happening?

ok I will check that, I didnt notice flag-ships, il be more observent the next engagement i have il let you know :)
thanks

Hi, I have done 2 battles,

battle 1 against 3 pirate ships, class 5. my flag was british, I i`d the flagship and went about attacking the other 2 ships. I struck both with chain shot and after with grape, both surrendered and I got the End of battle music with the world map icon, I sailed up to the closest surrendered ship and got the board icon to which I captured it, and same with the second one, I then turned my attention to the flag ship that was running away, I used the quick sail to button, however the battle did not re-engage, I changed flags, also raised the JR, but nothing happened, the guns manual aim was brown/grey colour instead of red, the enemy ships icon on the menu had redoutline indicating enemy to me, (the ship didnt surrender).
the second battle against 2 pirate ships, both class 4 same thing happened as above.

I`l try next time to go for flag ship first then the others, see what happens

well, on the second battle I had save the game when I tried to capture the flag ship, and quit the game to write the report above, on reloading the save game, the enemy ship that was not engageable was now hostile and I was able to attack it.
il try this again see if it works again

The best strategy depends on the situation. If you can get to the Flagship quickly and board, that is the best solution. The problem is that the Flagship often runs away and/or surrenders very quickly and if you can't get to it soon enough it might end the battle by surrendering.

Sometimes it is best to ignore the Flagship and get what you can before it surrenders.

What if you capture/sink the flagship first? Would that lower the other ships' morale and possibly making them to surrender? And making it easier to board?

EDIT: Another is, I say surrendered ships should strike their sails. I once faced an armada of 4 ships and after taking down the other three, the other one surrenders. But when I tried to approach it, it seems like its running away and I can't catch it 'cause my ship was already heavily damaged slowing it down compared to the one I'm catching. I watched the video "The Real Pirates of the Caribbean" and after Blackbeard patiently chase the merchant ship and after firing a couple of warning shots, the ship surrendered and strikes its sails making it an easy job for Capt. Teach and his crew to board the ship.

And another problem I see here is, the Pirate Flag's purpose seems not to be working well. As I understand from the above statement, after colmaniac took care of the other two ships, the flagship became neutral? o_O - making it unable to board/attack. And can't attack it even if you raise a pirate flag? o_O Don't pirates attack what they want to attack? And a pirate flag means you are starting trouble/war/battle even to said friendly's, right? They don't follow rules of war/battle.

Last edited:
What if you capture/sink the flagship first? Would that lower the other ships' morale and possibly making them to surrender? And making it easier to board?

And another problem I see here is, the Pirate Flag's purpose seems not to be working well. As I understand from the above statement, after colmaniac took care of other two other ships, the flagship became neutral? o_O - making it unable to board/attack. And can't attack it even if you raise a pirate flag? o_O .

yes, this is correct you put it better than me ;).

ATM im working on a large engagement of warships, and takeing out the Flag-ship first, see what happens

I'm sorry if anything i'm about to write is already fixed or figured out with latest update 'cause I haven't had the time to play the game properly for the past couple of weeks.:p

Okay,

I say the battle should only end if all enemy ships are sunk, of course if you yourself has been defeated and

if other remaining enemy ship(s) surrenders. - and you can do whatever you like with them(loot/capture/sink/swap ships) -not becoming neutral and you have no choice but to just leave them(what?! o_O) because they're now neutral while in past 2-3hours they're trying to kill you. If they can do that you yourself must have the ability to do that too. Becoming neutral anytime in the middle of the battle so they can't harm you(what?! o_O).

And as I said in the above statement, if there is any way for surrendered ship(s) to automatically strike their sails after raising the white flag(because they're afraid of you now), it would be much better.

Colmaniac seems to have a bug with his game as when a ship surrenders is should indeed furl all sails and stop. It should also stay hostile before it surrenders.

It is normal that when a flagship surrenders all of the other ships go neutral and the battle is over. It seems these conditions are getting confused in the game.

Surrendered ships DO furl their sails.

The other ships in the fleet going neutral after the flagship surrenders it not intentional.
It is a quite annoying bug that we have been unable to fix. In fact, we never even figured out why it happens. Seems quite inconsistent. :facepalm

...as when a ship surrenders is should indeed furl all sails and stop. It should also stay hostile before it surrenders.
Surrendered ships DO furl their sails.
Ooohh! Nice! :onya Nah, 'cause before, I don't remember when, I ran into an armada with 4 ships and after taking down the other three, the other one surrendered but when I tried to approach it, its like the ship's running away and I couldn't catch up 'cause my ship's heavily damage. I don't remember if that's the flag ship but its not green its gray as that's the color of a surrendered ship. But if its all good now, then that's awesome! :dance But I still hope this bug will be tracked down soon. :beer:

More questions, hehehe:p, so if you take down the flagship first(capture/sink), is there still a possibility that the others will turn neutral as of this day?
and what's the best way to make a ship(s) surrender?

If I understand this bug correctly, the best way to handle it is to NOT assault the flagship first.
But then.... it could be related to something else altogether. This is just based on the previous time someone tried to fix it and failed.

To make another ship surrender, you should probably decimate their crew. Throw lots of grape at them.
Other than that, I don't remember.

Just done a battle, med size squadron 5 enemy ships all enemy to my flag, I i`d the flag-ship and went straight in for the kill, I did as much damage to the crew as possible and went straight in boarding, I captured the battleship. On identifying the other ships, the next one on the list to take, was re-designated as the flag ship. I did the same as before, but this time with a massive gap between me and the next ship due to prev ship I had to catch up, I did engage the other ships damaging their masts and sails to slow em down, on doing so 2 of the other targets surrendered causing the "end of battle". As the other-new flagship was still running away, I went for the surrendeered ships, I was still able to capture them. I then tured back to the flagship runner and did `quick sail to` and the battle reengaged, I assaulted it and sunk it, this caused the EoB again, the last ship to run I did quick sail to and yet again the battle reengaged and was able to sink her.

What seems to be happening is to me, capturing the flagship first does-not cause the other squadron ships to surrender and I can still continue with the battles, while not engaging the flagship first and taking out the others in the fleet causes fleet wide surrender, and im unable to engage the other ships that havent surrendered but show as surrenderd, as their flag shows as white and not their countrys colour, (il recheck this).

il retry the above battle and another 2 battles with out getting the flagship frist, see what the outcome is and if im right.

Hmmmnnn...so another ship became as the flagship when the first/original one was eliminated. Well that's a first, for me..:bounce

Well that is good isn't it. Else everyone would surrender?

Ok, I think I have a sort of fix for this problem, though there is still a problem if you engage a battle with another allied fleet and you join it, however I may also have found a fix.

Battle between 5 enemy ships, class 5 and 2 class 3. one allied british ship and my only battleship.

I identified the enemy flagship and went in, ignoring the other ships, I kept on hammering it with grape and chain and med and close distance, after about 2 mins it surrendered, I got the usual `end of battle` music with the world map. At this point I saved the game (you cant save during battle.)
Brought my ship up-along side, I got the board Icon, went in and captured the ship, assigned officers and crew, (OFF TOPIC :- it seams if a ship surrenders, and you capture it, back in sailing mode the ship although yours it cant move and is still surrendered i`d via telescope, when capturing a ship that hasnt surrendered with onboard battle, back at sea the ship you capped works and you can give orders.)
back in sailing mode, I identified the 2nd new flagship and went in as before, the ship surrendered but this time the allied ship also surrendered, (this is where the bug is and my fix) I boarded the ship and did as I did before. on reentering sailing mode, i`d the new 3rd flagship, only this time I could not enter battle, due to bug, (my fix). I reloaded the 2nd save game, (saved just before boarding the 2nd ship) boarded again captured, asigned officers,crew, entered saling mode, this time the game is working and I could re enter battle, I i`d the 3rd ship as before did the same. I captured/sank the whole entire enemy fleet, by taking out the new designated flag-ship.

Saving game before boarding and reloading game if the battle sticks seems to be a fix for the game, so far its working for me.

Back