• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Ship blueprints (17th and 18th century) - and ship classes

rocker

Landlubber
Hello,

I am a member of WBS team (Wild Beauty Software). We are creating a pirate game > Indie Pirates 3D, http://www.indiedb.com/games/pirate. Currently we are on the phase of modelling new ships and improving old ones, but we could not find good blueprints as reference for modelling. Your help and guidance on that would really be appreciated. Another thing (maybe I should post a new thread) is in-game ship classification (ship classes), since a lot of ships are very similar, or with different stats, so we wonder is there any `formula` or `rule` on ship classification in the game (games we use as reference are POTC - main reference source - played it soooo much, Assassins Creed 4 - some things they did are quite interesting, Empire- total war - i know this is strategy game, but still the ships and naval battles are quite accurate).

Thank You for your help, and sorry for long post!

Thank you a lot for this link. I have been struggling for days to find blueprints for some ships.

Actually, the game that we were making is for mobile devices - non-realistic design is on purpose , and now we decided to switch to desktop-web platform, that is why all ships will be made from scratch. (we had some technical problems with mobile platforms, so we have to switch or quit completely).

Also we are testing some new ideas, and i hope we will bring something new compared to our last planned game.

Again, thank you a lot for this link! You helped us a lot!

The first link here has very nice blueprints, but there are no ship names or ship class or type defined clearly >
http://www.sjohistoriska.se/en/Collections/Archives/ChapmanNet/ChapmanNet/Drawings/?pressimagepage=1

First of all, they aren't blueprints. Blueprints are for buildings, and ships aren't buildings. The proper term is "draughts", or "plans", if you like.

That link is probably the best resource for plans from the mid-to-late 18th century. The descriptions of the vessels are perfectly clear and fine if you're actually willing to do a little research.
Ship type is VERY explicitly stated underneath each set of plans.

All of those plans are scanned from Chapman's Architectura Navalis Mercatoria. The first page, which contains a wealth of useful information, is omitted from the scans. If you're actually serious about this, I'd suggest possibly purchasing a copy for access to that information. The book contains almost every class of vessel you could want, except the ship of the line.

Thank you for a very detailed explanation.

Until now, I always `identified` all ships into single class (thanks to video games i have played) , for example sloop, where now, after doing some research about it, i know there are sloop-of-war (sometimes called corvette by the french - where i thought its different), and sloop rigged ships, also brig and brigantine, spanish galleon or english galleon,... and I was always confused by ship-of-the line ranks (1st rate, 2nd rate, 3rd rate...) where now i am understanding it a little more.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to make all ship types and variations in a single game or mod, so I understand why video games do so. In fact, we are also obliged to do the same thing (we have identified 10-15 ship types for our game, but we cannot make all their variations too).

I will do more research and be more prepared next time :)

PS. in some websites (perhaps because of ignorance i guess) there is written ship blueprints, therefore I was fooled too, since I didn`t knew before at all how its properly called

Back