• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship classes and others

Hyde911

Sailor Apprentice
Ahoy!
IMHO there are too many ships classes. What kind of class is 'nightmare' or 'fearless' ? I think that all ships should assign to real classes like: frigate, brig, ship of the line, fluyt, galleon and so on. With some prefixes: heavy, chase, light, battle, scout etc. This would be much clearer instead of mess which is now. Moreover there are some mistakes i.e. heavy corvette is less powerful than corvette. And some of ships are heavily overpowered for its class: Dutch Manowar, Dutch Warship and somehow 32-gun Frigate.

Different topic:
Why forts use only cannon balls?

I think we had an internal discussion about this years ago but I don't remember what were the conclusions. I don't mind revisiting the subject again.

I wish there were longer progress ships but I like it as it is, tbh.
It is a great mod to a good game, imo.
:ixi

Historically, that's not how ships were classified in the navies. They were rated according to this scale: To save myself the long explanation This is somewhat similar to the system already ingame.

In my oppinion, the ingame system also gives a pretty good indication of a vessel's abilities.

This proposed system is just as confusing as the old one. A brig, for example, can be extremely fast, with a rigged lenth of 200 feet, and have 20 32-lb carronades. Another brig could be 110 feet rigged, very slow, and have no guns. On the extreme end, one ship of the line can have 50 guns, another 140. One frigate can have 26 guns, another 44. (56 counting carronades, generally not included in the rating)

Also, I feel that "heavy, chase, light, battle, scout" are fairly landsmanlike and don't adequately describe a vessel's role. Individual frigates, for example were used as scouts, pursued enemy vessels, and were used in battle. In other words, these vessels were specifically built to preform all three functions. A light vessel would have been built for scouting or chasing, (and equally as important, running away) or blockade running, while a heavy vessel would have been built for battle. As a sailor on a tall ship, and a naval historian of sorts, I have never heard any of these terms except "heavy" formally applied to vessels, and I have only ever seen "heavy applied to very large frigates of 38, 42, or 44 guns. Also, applying the terms "light, or "heavy" to a corvette defeat the purpose of calling it a corvette. A corvette was merely a light frigate of 24-28 or so guns.

'nightmare' or 'fearless' are the names of specific vessels; I'd hate to see Bellona called "ship of the line"

I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm just promoting debate.

I do agree, however, that certain vessels, especially many of the smaller ones, are overgunned.

Back