• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Customization

Desric

Landlubber
I'm pretty sure I've read something close to this somewhere before, but I figured I'd bring up the topic again for future mods. Hopefully the idea isn't too complicated or difficult to implement. The idea would be to add a feature to the shipyards that would allow players to choose one of the alternate paint jobs for the hulls of the ships (since most ship models have alternate hull designs) as well as the ability to select the sail cloth material (silk, canvas, etc.). I'm not suggesting we add any new textures or designs just yet, but only implement and test a way for the player to select one of the sail textures and ship models already in the game.

I have some experience with scripting, but I don't have access to all the mod tools. I'm interested to know if this is at all possible, or if there's anything I can do to help things along.

This is a suggestion I made many months back. Should definitely be doable, just mean screwing with the code for the skins that show up on the ship. Those 3 skins were originally in Caribbean Tales and were used to show wood, copper and iron cladding. So you could potentially sneak a peak at that code to see how it was handled. I just haven't had as much time to plug away at the code as I would like yet, so haven't done it myself.

Cap'n Drow

If you guys do decide to implement that and add new textures, I could definitely help with the revolutionary/Napoleonic ships. I have an excellent book detailing many paint schemes that could be potentially used instead of the basic Nelson Checker.

This is a very good idea. It has been done in AOP CT and in the build mod i believe so it is no small stretch to implement it in CoAS.

Cap'n Drow, can you give him access to the tools and such?

More power to you Desric.
me.gif

Back