• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship imports from GoF

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Though I don't have CoAS, nor any intention of getting it, I downloaded the GoF mod to see if there were any ship or character models I fancied bringing into PoTC. Most of the ships are in fact already here, either because they were imported from PoTC, or because both PoTC and GoF got them from the same place (GoF's "Barque1" and PoTC's "BarqueHeavy" look the same as a barque in AoP, for example). But there are a few ships which look interesting.

First of these is "BrigQeen1". I've given this a lighter brown wood finish instead of the original black. Flag locators have been re-arranged and pennant locators added, so that flags are shorter and deeper, and pennants can appear. Any stats which I couldn't copy straight from GoF's version of "ships_init.c" (most of the performance stats, for a start) I copied and tweaked slightly from "RN_Brig". I haven't been able to find where GoF keeps its walk files, if any, so for now I'm just using the standard brig walk file. This works reasonably well, except that "BrigQeen1" has a different stern structure, so the crew sometimes try to walk into the cabin. I've seen similar oddities in other ships so I'm not too bothered.

So, here's the new ship:
brigqeen1.jpg

It has a mermaid figurehead and a completely different stern structure to PoTC's usual brig variants:
brigqeen1_bow.jpg brigqeen1_stern.jpg

And it has a compass:
brigqeen1_compass.jpg

That compass moves! However, don't put away your pocket compass yet because this one doesn't point north, it points to the direction in which the wind is blowing.

"RN_Brig" is available to Britain, France, Spain, and to a lesser extent America. So "BrigQeen1" will go to Portugal and Holland. Pirates don't get either ship, but they shouldn't feel neglected because I have my eye on a couple of other ships just for them...

Though I don't have CoAS, nor any intention of getting it, I downloaded the GoF mod to see if there were any ship or character models I fancied bringing into PoTC. Most of the ships are in fact already here, either because they were imported from PoTC, or because both PoTC and GoF got them from the same place (GoF's "Barque1" and PoTC's "BarqueHeavy" look the same as a barque in AoP, for example). But there are a few ships which look interesting.
I wonder... Can you find a download link of the German CoAS mod on their website?
Startseite - ... de Zee Roovers « Community »
@Jan Marten and @yo ho ho have been doing some awesome model and texture work there too.
But I don't know if they're OK with it if we borrow their work... :unsure

First of these is "BrigQeen1". I've given this a lighter brown wood finish instead of the original black.
Not bad, not bad! Good find, I should say. :onya

I haven't been able to find where GoF keeps its walk files, if any, so for now I'm just using the standard brig walk file. This works reasonably well, except that "BrigQeen1" has a different stern structure, so the crew sometimes try to walk into the cabin. I've seen similar oddities in other ships so I'm not too bothered.
There should be a "sailorspoints" file somewhere.
Those can be converted to the PotC format using this tool, if I recall:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/cloud/re...Files/PotC-AoP Walk Files Conversion Tool.rar

I've found the "Sailorspoints" files and will see how well they react to that conversion tool.

"dezeeroovers" seems to want me to register before it will let me download anything. If you know that they have a warship with two gun decks, about 50-60 guns and suitable for Napoleonic times, I might even do so...

"dezeeroovers" seems to want me to register before it will let me download anything. If you know that they have a warship with two gun decks, about 50-60 guns and suitable for Napoleonic times, I might even do so...
Not entirely sure what exactly they've got; it is good stuff, that much I do know.
Have a look at the threads started by @Jan Marten and @yo ho ho on this forum:
Storm Engine Modeling

Hi @ all
The most ships are from the middle of the 17century some from the late but nothing napoleonic. We Love the golden age of piracy and Not the napoleonic aera.

The most ships are from the middle of the 17century some from the late but nothing napoleonic. We Love the golden age of piracy and Not the napoleonic aera.
Fair enough! I personally like them all. As long as they don't show up at the same time. ;)

Would you be OK with it if we include your models in PotC:NH as well?
With full credit to you and De Zeeroovers, of course! :yes

We Love the golden age of piracy and Not the napoleonic aera.
For the most part, so do I, but "Hornblower" doesn't work too well in the 17th century. And he's the reason I'm going to need a 60 gun Napoleonic era ship. :napoleon

But if it's uploaded into a GoF mod update, and if you don't object, I'm going to grab your "HMS Prince"!

We feel honored, Pieter.
After the release from our version Jan will send you the exclusive Models to you.

Next ship: "BrigSW1". This is almost identical to "BrigQeen1":
brigsw1.jpg

Apart from the darker colour scheme, instead of a charming mermaid, "BrigSW1" has a scary wolf's head as a figurehead. The stern is the same, though:
brigsw_bow.jpg brigsw_stern.jpg

The cannons are an odd design:
brigsw_cannon.jpg

Another difference is that "BrigSW1" has 24 guns whereas "BrigQeen1" has 22. This is because both the originals in GoF have 24 guns, but two of the firing locators don't have cannons on the model to match. So I removed the errant locators from "BrigQeen1.gm". But there seems to be something wrong with "BrigSW1.gm" because TOOL won't read it, so I can't do anything to its locators.

In any case, while the civilised nations use "RN_Brig" or "BrigQeen1", Pirates get the wolf head version. It's repaint-compatible with "BrigQeen1", so once you've acquired one, you can change it to the other in a shipyard.

Both models do indeed look very like the PoTC brig versions, which is why I (almost) got away with using the brig walk file. It's also why I based the stats on "RN_Brig". The bow and stern are noticably different, though - especially on "BrigSW1".

The final import ship, for now at least - "Brig_20_Gun1_181", which despite its name only has 16 guns. xD If there's one ship which really needs a pirate colour scheme, this is it, but none of the GoF texture files looked all that piratey, so I made a new one - dark hull and a skull-and-crossbones emblem on the stern. The ship has no figurehead but does have a nice lattice on the beak.
Brig_20_Gun1_18.jpg Brig_20_Gun1_18_bow.jpg Brig_20_Gun1_18_stern.jpg

There's even a walk-in cabin.
Brig_20_Gun1_18_cabin2.jpg Brig_20_Gun1_18_cabin3.jpg Brig_20_Gun1_18_cabin4.jpg

So why is this ship particularly suited to pirates? The stereotypical pirate drinks rum, says "Arr!" a lot, and makes people walk the plank. To do the last of those, you first need a plank. And this ship has one!
Brig_20_Gun1_18_plank1.jpg Brig_20_Gun1_18_plank2.jpg :walkplank

GoF's "Sloop1" will be in PoTC as "Sloop4". Well, almost. There was a slight problem:
sloop4_gofmodel.jpg

See how that mainsail is interfering with the jibs?

But this is almost identical to PoTC's "FR_Sloop" - in fact, that ship's texture looks the same as one of the textures for GoF's "Sloop1" but with a red stripe replacing GoF's yellow stripe. The models aren't quite the same. "FR_Sloop" is a bit simplified, partly because it doesn't include some lighting locators which GoF recognised and PoTC doesn't, and partly because some files have been merged, e.g. "sloop1_rey_b2.gm" and "sloop1_spanker.gm" are merged into "FR_Sloop_rey_b2.gm". And "FR_Sloop" has that mainsail fixed. So I simply copied "FR_Sloop" and gave it the GoF texture, and this is the result:
sloop4_potcmodel.jpg sloop4_stern.jpg

Incidentally, if you go to Cayman, you'll see what looks like this ship on the loading screen, and I didn't put it there.

That is quite a nice texture, really! :onya

Incidentally, if you go to Cayman, you'll see what looks like this ship on the loading screen, and I didn't put it there.
I did. Made that screenshot with the Jack Sparrow storyline and that was Jack's first command at the time. :cheeky

Which did you work on - the GoF model or PoTC's "FR_Sloop"?

The spanker on "FR_Sloop" certainly moves. Whether it's moving correctly, I can't say, as I'm not sure how a real one moves. ;)

The spanker on "FR_Sloop" certainly moves. Whether it's moving correctly, I can't say, as I'm not sure how a real one moves. ;)
Wasn't it that in some ships, the triangular sails would move to windward instead of leeward?
If you know a bit how sailing works, that should be fairly easy to spot. :doff

Perhaps you could try a quick FreePlay game and give yourself a "FR_Sloop" (should show up as "Naval Sloop" or "'Le Rêve' sails well against the wind. Agile vessel of the French Navy."). If you set yourself up a a French Corsair instead of the default Rebel, you should start off at St. Pierre and have little trouble going to sea, then you can try turning the ship and see what the spanker does. If it's wrong, I'll see if I can fix the mainsail on the GoF model, then see if its spanker behaves differently from "FR_Sloop".

And then, if the spanker on the GoF model behaves properly and the one on "FR_Sloop" does not, there's an obvious solution. Because if the texture from the GoF sloop works on "FR_Sloop" then the reverse is true. :D

Back