• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

ship types

will there be ships from the napoleon era or just the seven year war.

Last edited:
The Seven Years War is the first time period we'll be developing, but we'll move on to the Napoleonic period eventually. It would be too hard to include all the eras in the age of sail at once so we've decided to do it one at a time. There will be some ships in the first full release of the game that were still afloat in the Napoleonic era or that were very Napoleonic looking like HMS Bellona or HMS Sphinx.

No money, as the game will be free and it's worked on by volunteers, but it takes quite a bit of time.

And hopefully faster than that, we might want to reduce quality on certain vessels so we can get enough ships for a release. I'll suggest it as a topic of the next coordinator discussion!

Reduce quality on certain vessels. I wonder if the builders produced mass production ships to sacrifice quality for time in the seven years war.I wish the modelers had seven years to produce quality ships. I don't like the idea of a mass production fleet ship. Now im hoping for an expansion pack to hearts of oak after the games release.

Last edited:
Modelers generally model what they want. Based on the time required, raising funds to pay the modeler to do something would require a LOT of money indeed.

1 or 2 years would be a insane price by the hour.

$85000.00 a year so I read some where.

I could have a real ship built for that kind of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seam to forget something. We are working in our spare time on the ships. We aren't 100% fulltime working on HoO. But it would still take about half a year for a professional 3d artist to build a ship, if not more.
The Endeavour was bought by the admirality for £2,840. 10s. 11d and refitted for £2,294. So that's roughly about £612,000 or nearly 0.94 mio US$ today.

Edit:
Just for the math:
I would charge at least 120.- CHF per hour, thats roughly 130.- US$. So working half a year on a ship, with say: 8.5 hours a day or 42 hours a week, so with holidays and everything about 2'000 hours in a year or 1'000 in half a year. That would be about 130'000 US$ for an accurate 3d Model of a 30m ship.

But you simply don't hire someone on a hourly wage for such a longterm project that'd be plain stupid.

Last edited:
I'd say working full day would be faster than piecemeal. Also @Timb was pretty fast with Blandford, so with more professional people it's not as long as half a year.

I'll just go buy a couple of lottery tickets, win the Powerball lottery, currently $485 million US, hire you all full time for the next year and we will have this thing knocked out by Christmas! :onya

Too expensive and there aren't really people who specialize in sailing ships for video games.

And for the record a brand new wooden tall ship these days seems to go for around 3 million US up. 5 million USD seems a good average.

Back