• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ships and Scurvy

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
There have been a lot of pirate games that have come out or been announced lately, I have posted stories on a few, but I have missed some others. One game in particular was announced by it's creator on our forums and I have been meaning to get out an article about it for a while. Oliver Joyce from WhiskeyBarrel Studios posted from his devblog and specifically asked us for advice on his new RPG called Ships and Scurvy! He has quite an interesting concept and is developing the game for PC.

shipBattle_optimised.gif

Good morning seafarers!

My name is Oliver Joyce, I'm best known as the creator of the RPG game series Swords and Sandals. I no longer make those games, but I'm still an indie developer with my own tiny label, Whiskeybarrel Studios. Anyway, I wanted to tell you all about a new RPG I'm building,Ships and Scurvy.

The basic premise is you play a sailor cursed with immortality. You wake on the sandy shores of a beach, with a humble raft. You gradually build up a proper ship, hire a crew and go on adventures, fighting natives, discovering lands and (invariably) dying and washing up on the beach again. Each adventure, you get stronger, more skilled until you have a huge galleon and a robust crew capable of taking on sea monsters, pirate lords and the vast ocean ahead of you.

I'd describe it as an ocean-based mashup of Rogue Legacy/Oregon Trail/Faster than Light and of course Sid Meier's Pirates. Kind of ambitious but I'm sure it will turn into it's own unique beast.

Anyway, the last month or so I've been writing a development diary of the game ( I'm up to part 4 ) but I'd love for you to have a read and tell me your thoughts on the game so far.

You can read part one here, in which I go through the process of randomly generating an ocean , islands and ships for your world.

http://whiskeybarrelstudios.com/?p=857

Cheers, Oliver Joyce
Whiskeybarrel Studios.

That is a bit of a preview of what sailing will be like in the game, the speed is a bit exaggerated at the moment because it helps in development.

Here is a bit of a preview of the land combat.

The game is still very early in development and right now Oliver is focused on character creation. Pieter and I have made a few suggestions, but I know you mates have plenty of ideas to add to the discussion! At first glance, this just appears to be aiming to be casual game, but that is far from Olivers final goal. He is planning on adding some very nice strategy in all aspects of the game! If you would like to find out more, head on over to Oliver's development thread HERE, or head over to his devblog HERE!

Attachments

• Whiskey_Barrel_Studios.png
    Whiskey_Barrel_Studios.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back