• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

should you learn c/c++ to code the storm engine games?

alexander_zaghi

Landlubber
I'd like to learn how to code but I have a question: where should I begin?

Should I learn C/C++ to be able to code the game?

Thanks in advance.

Not necessarily. Although it helps to have some prior knowledge of coding and especially of C/C++, it is not required.
In fact, I learned my coding knowledge simply through doing and the support of the helpful people here at PiratesAhoy
and look where I ended up! For me it was quite reversed: Last year I needed some C/C++ coding knowledge to come by
and then my experience from the PotC code really did come in handy!

So in short: If you don't have any C/C++ coding knowledge just yet, we'll help you where we can. :yes

Thank you,

I was wondering if you have any suggestions on where to start?
keep in mind that I don't know a thing about coding :(

I did get a book on C# in the library which I think I'll use too.
Is C# a lot different from C/C++ or is it basicly the same?

A few months ago, I put together a History and Tutorials manual for POTC Build 14, most of these tutorials were written back in the earlier stages of the build. If you haven't seen these yet, they are a great place to start! They should help give you a pretty good idea of just how the code works. You can find the download link in my sig.

That's indeed a good idea of Thagarr's.

In addition to that, my suggestion would be to decide what you'd like to mod and tell us.
Then we can point you in the right direction so you can find the code that controls whatever you're thinking of doing something with.
Then you'll just need to see if you can make some sense of what you see, experiment (AND BACKUP!) and see what you can do.
And whenever you get stuck or confused, let us know and we'll do what we can to put you back on track. :doff

Thank you,

I was wondering if you have any suggestions on where to start?
keep in mind that I don't know a thing about coding :(

I did get a book on C# in the library which I think I'll use too.
Is C# a lot different from C/C++ or is it basicly the same?

C# is a more like java/javascript. You might say its also a more refined and clean version of C++, but in the end you just need to learn the core knowledge about programing in general(variables, loops, methods, etc.) and those things are all the same in all the languages.

When I learnt Java code it was actually C++ that I learnt :shrug

I think most of the C based codes are similar to an extent though :yes

Well like I said when I learnt the code using Java/Javascript it WAS C++ NOT C#

I was refering to the similarities to the game code and that code being similar... so I was sort of disagreeing with the point you made to do with C# being used for java in the first place (it may be used in some java but never in the ones I used :no) and was only talking about C/C++

Back