• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Simplified Code for Build 14 Beta 3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically we need someone to post all sorts of things on our various sites.
Do you have accounts there yet? Please let me know their names one you do so I can set you up with the rights you need.
The most important ones would be ModDB and Facebook.

Another new addition: in the "Assassin" story, you start with a sword of Poseidon, a rather nice sword which has no quality associated with it and therefore presumably can't wear down or break. This seems to be added to the latest version of Beta 3.3 (from 9th November or thereabout) because I don't recall seeing it in the previous version (which I downloaded on 4th November). That plus the fact that you now start at level 5 with some perks to be chosen meant I stormed through the Kralendijk dungeon without any trouble, collecting some other swords along the way. Some of those are going to be polished by a blacksmith so I can try out the new blade care kit, when I find one.

Perhaps starting out at level 5 with a fancy sword makes the beginning a little too easy? Do other storylines give you such a boost at the beginning?

The "Sword of Poseidon" is a special storyline-only blade that you only get for Assassin on its default settings.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: Do you have any thoughts on the difficulty here? If you want, we can have Assassin always start at Level 1, for example.

To answer my own question, from "Build Info.txt":
Standard storyline starts at Rank 1, all other storylines that allow Free Play start at rank 5
So other storylines may not get fancy swords but do get the initial boost. Was there a reason for that?

I don't know why the Assassin storyline starts at rank 5. But as I said, I prefer to see it starting at rank 1. About the "sword of Poseidon", I think it's a good idea starting at least one storyline with a special blade instead of a normal one.

Ya, people were complaining about getting killed too easy at the start, so the starting level was raised to 5. It makes the game easier all the way through. After a while I start downgrading my sword to make combat more interesting.

Another new addition: in the "Assassin" story, you start with a sword of Poseidon, a rather nice sword which has no quality associated with it and therefore presumably can't wear down or break.

Whoa, no kidding, the thing's a true monster. And Pieter said he wanted to add as less new things as possible:)

Yes, starting at Level 1 would be better.:yes

Totally agreed, what's the first 4 levels for? You can always cheat boost the level.

So other storylines may not get fancy swords but do get the initial boost.

Jack has his cutlass from the very beginning.

Ya, people were complaining about getting killed too easy at the start, so the starting level was raised to 5. It makes the game easier all the way through.

Actually, I have noticed some bugs with this level 5, regarding abilities in some stroylines - sometimes you have 5 abilities' points, though you start with level 1, then, by simply talking to someone you gain 5 levels and consequently 5 more abilities' points

To answer my own question, from "Build Info.txt":
So other storylines may not get fancy swords but do get the initial boost. Was there a reason for that?
It was @Jason Maffetone's idea that went with his new career choices.
He gives extra skill points on game start, so I figured you would need the formal rank increase to go with it.

If this is considered to be not the best idea, we could also limit this feature to ONLY Brave Black Flag.
Disadvantage is that the customization options would then also be limited, because it makes no sense to give you 10 assigned points from game start, but start on level 1.

Actually, I have noticed some bugs with this level 5, regarding abilities in some stroylines - sometimes you have 5 abilities' points, though you start with level 1, then, by simply talking to someone you gain 5 levels and consequently 5 more abilities' points
Which storylines are those? I probably have to fix those individually.
I thought I already did, but maybe I wasn't quite comprehensive enough.

If this is considered to be not the best idea, we could also limit this feature to ONLY Brave Black Flag. Disadvantage is that the customization options would then also be limited, because it makes no sense to give you 10 assigned points from game start, but start on level 1.

To be honest, I don't quite understand what you've said above, but I do recall that Jason's (or yours?) imrovements regarding character creation affected storylines other than BBF, this was discussed in some other thread. Still, I would like to say that forcing player's level to 5 is a very strong boost at the beginning, since it is the combat exactly which is usually the most problematic at this early stage, with no defence abilities, low melee skill, etc. However, you have conventional ingame methods of avoiding death at early stages by equipping proper weapons before combat, after all, weapons are not that expensive and you can always make a living by entering tunnels and catacombs, which are not that deadly, since you usually do not engage 4 opponents at the same time (like in the jungles), and lastly, trading. Also, as everyone knows, the codes do their work properly, so if someone wants to start with a higher level, simply tap the 5 numpad:) Meanwhile, I could return the player to level 1 via characterinit, but the abilities always remained at 5 for some reason, though file displayed zero.

Which storylines are those? I probably have to fix those individually. I thought I already did, but maybe I wasn't quite comprehensive enough.

Well, I recall Bartolomeu's story for certain. But, as I said, this was in the previous, Oct. 23 update, not sure how it stands now.

I didn't touch it since then so it would still be the same.

Any thoughts on how to handle it without undoing the whole starting professions idea?
Adapting the code should be simple enough. Knowing what to adapt it to would be a different story though.

Any thoughts on how to handle it without undoing the whole starting professions idea?

Ah, I seem to understand what's at stake:) But still, you get improved skills easier for the ones marked with green ticks, where the multiplier stands at x1.25 instead of standard x1.00, don't you? If so, I've seen some weird staff with these ones too, for example, you get max. boosted officers, who have repair and defence ticked, but these stats stand at some 3-4 points, while other "unticked" abilities are capped, and there's no way of boosting their professional abilities further.

Still, if it's essential to start with a higher level char, maybe it would be a better solution to start at level 2 instead of 5? It would result in some increased points, and as far as I understand, not affect professions.

Still, if it's essential to start with a higher level char, maybe it would be a better solution to start at level 2 instead of 5? It would result in some increased points, and as far as I understand, not affect professions.
The skill points given should relate to the starting level.
Otherwise the game will not be evenly balanced, because you had a bonus at the start and you'll keep that advantage throughout.
We can reduce the number of skill points for each profession and then also reduce the starting rank.

What error message do you get?

If your file name includes "wip", you've found the wrong file. From the first page of this thread you should find links which get you "b14_beta3_installer_internal.exe" and "b14_beta3_full.7z". (The latter link takes you to another site from which you download the file.) You'll need both of these, plus a legal copy of the original game "Pirates of the Caribbean", in order to install Build 14 Beta 3.3.

Latest update now includes all New Locations, as well as an adapted and updated Brave Black Flag storyline.

Download: http://piratesahoy.net/build/b14_beta3_installer_internal.exe
Installation: Proper installer file, use in combination with Part 2 like usual
Compatibility: Works on top of all earlier Beta 3 releases
New Game Enforced!
Just to check: does the installer still require an earlier Beta 3 release, or will it work by itself after a fresh install of PoTC from CD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back