• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Skills don't unlock

A.J. Stoner

Landlubber
High all. I was very into this game years back during the build 13 days and I just got a non-intel laptop so I was excited to play again. Problem though:

Locked skills never unlock, even once I have the prerequisites. Any advice here? The game is basically unplayable if you can't acquire the skills...

BTW, I made a new account because I culdn't seem to locate my old one. "Jason Maffettone"--I was a minor modder. I guess it got deleeted for being away so long.

I'm using the newest Build 14 beta.

:ahoymate!

That's odd. The skills unlock for everyone else. :shrug Well almost all of them. The tailor and shipyard perks do not unlock for anyone but the others do.

Which ones are you having trouble with?

Oh, you are still here as Jason Maffettone. You were last here in 2012.

Last edited:
All of the character skills that start locked don't unlock. Advanced Defense doesn't unluck when you buy Defense, Expert Gunman doesn't unlock when you have Gunman, etc. I've tried quitting and restarting, etc. They just stay locked.

Have you read the books? They will not unlock anything until they are read. :read

The only book I've seen is something about cooking recipes for Albatroses. Is this a new feature? Where are said books?

Ahh, you don't know the new perks system. There are some new books that unlock perks and some perks need a certain thing to be done to unlock them. The books are everywhere. The street merchants have them as well as store merchants, plus they can be randomly found.

To find out how to unlock the perks go into options in the main menu and set the difficulty to apprentice, then go back into the game and look at the perks and it will tell you how to unlock it.

Ah, sweet. Many thanks. The game has changed so much since 13. You guys have done a WONDERFUL job with it. I wouldn't have thought some of the things you've pulled-off were possibile. It's great to be playing this game again!

If you want, we can set you up so you can access your old account again. :doff

Taking about abilities, so I have few questions.
I am still unable to unlock 'Emergency Repair' and 'Advance Commerce'. Although I know how to unlock them. But I could not find any shipyard and sailors that have an work for me :(. So these two are still blocked for me. Can you guys give some light on it?? And is it related to latter of marque of any nation?

Fetch quests are broken. There is, however, a way to unlock all perks, though it will require you to start a new game.

Edit PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and find the following line:
Code:
#define   ALLOW_LOCKED_PERKS         1     // BOOL    - Default = 1, If 1 perks can be locked. If 0 no perks can be locked.
Change it to 0.

Then all you have to worry about is the fact that several perks aren't merely locked, they're disabled. It used to be that this was optional, governed by the variable "REALISTIC_ABILITIES". Now it's compulsory and it seems the only way to get them back (other than going into Arcade mode) is to reinstall Beta 3.1... (Which, incidentally, also makes commerce and smuggling more viable.)

Back