• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Slight inconsistencies with the controls

morgan terror

Magnificent bastard
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Please keep in mind that i've seen this in build 14 beta 3, so if this has been fixed already, i apologise.

Before you ask, this isn't about the difference in land and sea controls. I've done some thinking on that particular issue myself, and i've not come up with a solution, so i'll leave it. :p This is about a minor problem with how the controls work in the game's various menus. I've noticed the following:

-Many screens have a scroll bar. This can only be operated by clicking the bar and moving it up and down. Not by clicking the arrows at their top and bottom, like i'd expect. Not necessarily a problem, but would be nice if it were fixable.
-In the options menu, this bar does not work. You need to use the arrow keys instead.
-When reading a skillbook, pressing escape doesn't work, like it would in any other menu.
-Scrolling in the quest book can only be done with the scroll bar.
-Scrolling in the skill book can only be done with the scroll bar.
-I'm starting to doubt my memory on this one, but i don't think you could use the arrow keys in any menu other than the options menu.

The bottom line is that consistency is a pretty big deal when it comes to the controls, and i'd like to see more of it. Is using both the arrow keys and the mouse an option for menus, or is the game bound to only one type of controls? If the latter is the case, it would be best if everything worked via the scroll bar, since that thing's there for a reason anyway. Alternatively, we could use the W and S keys, since those are used for dialogue as well. Consistency between dialogue options and the menus with text would be a good thing, and the arrow keys are a bit too far out of the way.

-Many screens have a scroll bar. This can only be operated by clicking the bar and moving it up and down. Not by clicking the arrows at their top and bottom, like i'd expect. Not necessarily a problem, but would be nice if it were fixable.
I wanna see if I can fix this one in beta 5 it annoys me too
-In the options menu, this bar does not work. You need to use the arrow keys instead.
will look at it
-When reading a skillbook, pressing escape doesn't work, like it would in any other menu.
Need to look into it. It should work...
-Scrolling in the quest book can only be done with the scroll bar.
I believe this one should be working now. I know I worked on it
-Scrolling in the skill book can only be done with the scroll bar.
Should be fixed already, if not please let me know. It might be I never posted those files in the end
-I'm starting to doubt my memory on this one, but i don't think you could use the arrow keys in any menu other than the options menu.
Would need to look at this but normally you should be able too

The mod version i'm using is the version i got pointed to in the FAQ, so it's entirely possible that some of your fixes are already in the modpack, just not in the version i'm using. What about using W and S though?

Also, if you can use esc in skill books (by which i mean the ones that unlock an ability, like advanced defence or professional gunman), it might just be that i was an idiot and was pressing the wrong button. I'll check up on that.

Alternatively, we could use the W and S keys, since those are used for dialogue as well.
By the way, W and S being hard-coded for use in dialogs is itself a bit problematic. My keyboard layout not QWERTY, so I have movement controls remapped. But I still have to use W and S to select dialog options, which is not exactly convenient.
IIRC, I've tried to fix this a couple of years ago but failed miserably. :oops:

That can be changed in POTC-->program-->controls-->defaultcontrols.h. I have to change that a lot.

Reactions: jsv
:cheers

The changes since then are revolutionary and you will have to learn how to play all over again. The new versions are also very buggy as it is kinda sorta a three steps forward and two steps back situation. Oh, and new WIPs usually come out weekly so I wait a while before updating.

It wasn't ignored on purpose. I don't remember anyone reporting it before and I don't pay enough myself to notice.

Maybe those dialog Up/Down buttons can automatically be linked to the walk or sail buttons?
That was the original reason for it being set up like that anyway.

I definitely appreciate the reports! Can't fix stuff if we don't know about it. (Or forget)

I've noticed that the controls menu has the arrow keys, up/down buttons on the scrollbar AND dragging the scrollbar with the mouse working.

Back