• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Slow Down Grass Animation Speed

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Ok, so I have been playing around to see what I may see. First I changed the look of two officers to the highest rez ones I have in my collection. Then I took the grass.tga from GOF2 and transplanted it into POTC.

The girl character has always had a small gap at the top of the belt and that is now gone. Methinks you can see the difference between the hi rez characters and the low rez characters. Do the swords (Spanish rapiers) look better now?
POTC CAB 2015-10-03 15-40-23-73.jpg POTC CAB 2015-10-03 15-44-41-95.jpg POTC CAB 2015-10-03 16-16-16-12.jpg POTC CAB 2015-10-03 16-44-00-13.jpg POTC CAB 2015-10-03 16-58-07-83.jpg POTC CAB 2015-10-03 17-01-18-21.jpg POTC CAB 2015-10-03 17-05-42-20.jpg
Where is the wind animation speed located? The grass now moves waaaay too much.

I think the grass moving depends on the actual wind speed.
In storms I've definitely seen it move excessively violently.
Not sure there's an actual file that controls it; don't remember ever seeing it.
Maybe limiting the max wind speed while ashore?We did that for wave height once....

No, in vanilla POTC the grass does not move very much. Someone years ago bumped up the animation speed of the grass. Now it is too much.

I am seeing differences now, especially at night. It seems there is not as much difference between the light and dark sides of objects. Overall it looks more realistic.

No, in vanilla POTC the grass does not move very much. Someone years ago bumped up the animation speed of the grass. Now it is too much.
I do not remember that at all. Are you sure that couldn't be an unintended side-effect of changes to the Weather System?

I stand corrected. After playing for many more hours most of the time the grass does not move or only moves slightly.

If it does bother you, we can still see about limiting the wind speed while ashore.
That is the most likely culprit, I reckon.

Try it and see for yourself. Here is the grass.tga and it goes in RESOURCE--> TEXTURES--> GRASS. I like it because it is a darker color and adds some contrast. The flowers look a bit drab tho.

Attachments

• grass.tga.tx.7z
    162 KB · Views: 160
Haven't had time to look at the texture, is it included in the build?

Now I wonder.... How can that grass animation speed be related in any way to just a texture file?
Maybe because the CoAS grass is more noticeable, this only now becomes apparent?

I believe that is so. The POTC grass is smaller and a drab green. To me the grass has had excessive movement for years. It often reminds me of underwater grass that is going this way then that with the wave movements.

Yep, I've definitely seen it being silly too, but never bothered to make a fuss over it.
Unless someone can track down a number to reduce for this, I suspect limiting the maximum wind speed on shore would be the most likely solution.

moved everything not related to the speed to a seperate topic. We should still look into this problem some day tough

I'm pretty sure there is a relation with wind speed which we may be able to influence.

I'm pretty sure there is a relation with wind speed which we may be able to influence.
I think you're right. We could test it very easily by just setting the windspeed to 0

PROGRAM\Weather\WhrGeneration.c contains a Whr_Generator function.

That one seems to contain where the limits for wind speed are set:
Code:
   minwind = winds - rand(2);
   maxwind = winds + rand(2);
   if(minwind < 5){minwind = 5;}   // LDH up from 0 - 12Feb09
   if(maxwind > 30){maxwind = 30;}
   if(minwind > maxwind){ minwind = maxwind; } // JL - Temporary catch all for weird wind bug
[...]
   Weathers.Wind.Speed.Min = minwind;
   Weathers.Wind.Speed.Max = maxwind;

Maybe replace it like this for testing:
Code:
   minwind = winds - rand(2);
   maxwind = winds + rand(2);
   if(minwind < 5){minwind = 5;}   // LDH up from 0 - 12Feb09
   if(bSeaActive)
   {
     if(maxwind > 30){maxwind = 30;}
   }
   else
   {
     if(maxwind > 0){maxwind = 0;} // PB: For testing
   }
   if(minwind > maxwind){ minwind = maxwind; } // JL - Temporary catch all for weird wind bug

For sea height, we've got a maximum value setting that can be tweaked per location.
That is handled through PROGRAM\Locations\locations_loader.c:
Code:
   Sea.MaxSeaHeight = 1.15;
   if(CheckAttribute(loc,"MaxSeaHeight")) Sea.MaxSeaHeight = stf(loc.MaxSeaHeight); // screwface : limit wave height
Though for wind just one general maximum number for shore may suffice.

Back