• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Smugglin-why do patrols always show up?

/.../
I use heavy weps only to get some fast exp points and get my rank up. I normally use medium weps (for now at least). So far I fought against english guards in Nevis to improve my chars ability to fight. I might switch to light weps later.

As for chopping down english guards- I cut every guard I can in the city and leave pairs and the ones with guns. Will I get a bounty on my head for such behaviour?

Ummmmmmm YES! :shock

If you went into a city and murdered all the guards do you think they would be after you? I think they would :yes

Hold on a second! Handel told me to chop them one by one to improve my combat skills. I went into Nevis which is hostile to me (I'm an enemy for England) and killed all the guards I could but I was never able to kill ALL of them since they spawn in pairs and groups of 3 in some places. If I kill a guard and run outside the gates I won't get a bounty on my head? I got confused :/

Hold on a second! Handel told me to chop them one by one to improve my combat skills. I went into Nevis which is hostile to me (I'm an enemy for England) and killed all the guards I could but I was never able to kill ALL of them since they spawn in pairs and groups of 3 in some places. If I kill a guard and run outside the gates I won't get a bounty on my head? I got confused :/
You have to sink lots of ships to get a bounty on your head. I never got a bounty for guard chopping. As for the number of the guards to kill for training some towns are more "comfortable". Basicly it seems up to lvl 10 the guards respawn very slowly and after lvl 30 they respawn instantly (captain difficulty) - so if you are under lvl 10 you really can kill all the guards before they to respawn again. You don't need to run outside the gates if the guards are not too many for your comfort; but running and waiting for 5 min (game time - 1 clock uptick) resets the alarm so you train the stealth too.

I've chopped english guards for like 5h now. I'm using the Italian Rapier (light weapon) and it's really amazing! Light weps are superior to all other! When I engage in a fight I let the enemy have his first hit, block it and chop him to death with the left mouse button attack (forgot what it is but I think it's the fastest). Right now I'm at 60 in light weps and 45 at the other ones. It's kinda hard to get the skill points to level up myrank. Killing more then 1 guard is a problem for me now-if I manage to shoot one of a pair almost dead-it's cool because I can chop him to death quickly and "help" the other. If they both of them attack at once-I'm mostly dead. I've learned to deal with overheads but it's still annoying to get shot :( It's usually a 1 shot kill :/ As for the stealth trick- will it work if I chop all the guards I can, run outside and wait 5min. or do I have to run outside after killing 1 guard? I think I'll just train till rank 10 and get on with the game coz this training is quite boring.
BTW Got both energy and health perks :D

I killed ONE English guard and a message in the top right hand corner appeared.

Your bounty with England has increased

I havnt sunk any ships that are English and I have a massive bounty from them :ty

I killed dozens of guards and no bounty on my head :) BTW Where (except the right corner) does it say you got a bounty on your head? What happens if u get a bounty on u?

As for the stealth trick- will it work if I chop all the guards I can, run outside and wait 5min. or do I have to run outside after killing 1 guard? I think I'll just train till rank 10 and get on with the game coz this training is quite boring.
BTW Got both energy and health perks :D

To train the stealth you must be "discovered" by the guards (or by the fort if you are on ship). So it doesn't matter if you kill only 1 or 100 guards; what does matter is the alarm to be reset and a guard to discover you (do not attack untill a guard shouts to you).
As for the bounty - when the bounty is relatively small you often get 2 bounty hunters attacking you when you land (and sometiems you see enemy ships named "bounty hunters" too). Even at low level if you have officers those 2 bounty hunters are not a prob; but you cannot use stealth/trader license to enter the enemy town if you have bounty over some amount. Thus if you need to enter the enemy town not for fight but to remain undiscovered you need to use the diplomats in the pirate towns to repair the relations.

Right now I'm rank 13, got all HP and endurance perks, Elite Fencing and Iron Constitution. I'm really enjoying those fights now :D I go into the town and the guards seem to always spawn before I cut their number to 0 which is nice. I can take pairs or 3's- I just hide behind a corner and wait for them to come. They are very stupid and can't seem to pass one another and thus I fight 1 on 1 :> Pistols are not a problem anymore-I found a Berreta Pistol (wonderful firearm!) and harass guards from long distance. After the shot I run and those idiots try to shoot me back,usually missing :)Light weps at 88, medium around 70, heavy 45, pistols around 65. My Diego has become a killing machine and it feels great :) You guys diidn't mention the training is a great way to make cash! I've made around 5k in 2 days from selling weps :) BTW I fin many items such as silver ingots, containers, pipes, gems and other crap. What should I sell and what not? I leave all the items which give negative points towards my skills (dead seagu, single shoe etc.) on the corpses of guards. Should I take those items as well? Are they wroth much?

BTW I fin many items such as silver ingots, containers, pipes, gems and other crap. What should I sell and what not? I leave all the items which give negative points towards my skills (dead seagu, single shoe etc.) on the corpses of guards. Should I take those items as well? Are they wroth much?

Sell everything that does not have an attribute or skill boost. Some things are worth a lot, others not. But it adds up.

Keep in mind that if you get a redundant item, you can trade it to one of your officers. This is particularly useful for your fighters.

Sometimes you may want to put some things in your chest for later. Like you are working on light weapons now, so it is of little use to you to carry a medium weapon or an item that improves mediums. But it might be useful to put those things in your chest in your cabin for later.

Thnx for the advice Scrogdog. Right now I have ship that doesn't have a cabin :( I'm saving money for something bigger. I've ended my training in Nevis-got all the perka listed above+Cuirass. As for fighting- I used medium and heavy weapons to get my rank up faster-it's faster to get skill points by raising skill from 30 to 60 than from 80 to 100,huh? Right now my light weps are 90. Handel told me to take the Commerce perks for my ship. Problem is these perks work for a treasurer. I don't have any officers right now. Should I hire a captain and place myself as a treasurer in order for the perk to work?

Thnx for the advice Scrogdog. Right now I have ship that doesn't have a cabin :( I'm saving money for something bigger. I've ended my training in Nevis-got all the perka listed above+Cuirass. As for fighting- I used medium and heavy weapons to get my rank up faster-it's faster to get skill points by raising skill from 30 to 60 than from 80 to 100,huh? Right now my light weps are 90. Handel told me to take the Commerce perks for my ship. Problem is these perks work for a treasurer. I don't have any officers right now. Should I hire a captain and place myself as a treasurer in order for the perk to work?

About the commerce perks and all the ships persk - they are translated badly. IF you have commerce perks you don't need comemrce officer. This is basicly true for every other ships perk - but it is impossible to get all the ships perks so you cannot go without couple of officers. Besides the ship perks skills raise slower then the personal skills so you will need officers in the beginning even if you have the correspondent perks.
If you have some points in commerce plus the commerce perks (either by you or by an officer) you can start earning money through trade. Withouth them the trade is not profitable.

Nope. Captain's perks always work; you do not need to assume the station (not sure that's possible anyway).

That's one thing to keep in mind when selecting perks. If you get a treasurer with the commerce perks, they work the same as when you personally have them as long as the officer is on station. There are some important perks that officers don't get, like flags.

Choosing what perks to get and in what order is tough advice to give, not that Handel's was bad. It is a matter of personal taste and playstyle. Also, the question is, do you need a perk NOW even though it might be redundant later? In some cases yes. Without savescumming, it is very hard to get officers you like in the first place.

You will undoubtably end up with redundant perks between yourself and your officers. However, like I said, you just need to make sure that the ones that you need but your officers don't get are in the mix at some point. Early or late is up to you.

Thats weird because the ship perks state, for this perk to work you need an gunner who already has this perk. I see that for every single perk, so i tend to go for all the ones my officer's already have which are important, like navel defence, repair perks, trade perks etc, i go for the flags aswell but not straight away, one of the first perks i try to get is the one that reduces damage done when courght in storms.

Thats weird because the ship perks state, for this perk to work you need an gunner who already has this perk. I see that for every single perk, so i tend to go for all the ones my officer's already have which are important, like navel defence, repair perks, trade perks etc, i go for the flags aswell but not straight away, one of the first perks i try to get is the one that reduces damage done when courght in storms.

This is bad translation. For the ship perks to work you need either the assigned officer (gunner for the gunners perks etc) to have them or you to have them. You can have all the personal perks but it is impossible to get all the ships perks.

Thanks for the tips guys :D Guess I'll take the Commerce perk first. BTW I got a trading licence from the Naval Quiz guy. I can trade with England for 40 days. Do I have to mount the english flag to get into an english port and not get whooped?

I've trader my tiny War Tartane for a fat Sloop with 724 cargo :) I took the basic commerce perk and I'm really happy now-I got many trade opportunities from trading sandalwood to trading wheat and leather :) The distances are not big :) It's kind of funny because I met an officer in a tavern who had the basic commerce perk taken...oh well ;)

Thanks for the tips guys :D Guess I'll take the Commerce perk first. BTW I got a trading licence from the Naval Quiz guy. I can trade with England for 40 days. Do I have to mount the english flag to get into an english port and not get whooped?

Even with license you must change the flag to non-enemy (which means for english you must change it either to english or french).
But bacicly the license is not that needed for trading; it is usually usefull for quests and such - if you don't have high stealth of course.
Also if you plan to trade make the bordel mini-quest to get a rad god totem (you will need to spend 5-6k golds on this)

Also if you plan to trade make the bordel mini-quest to get a rad god totem (you will need to spend 5-6k golds on this)

Ok, I'm curious as to how you got this done for that amount of money.

The cheapest lady I've ever found (at the cheapest brothel I've found; Bridgetown) cost $1500 per, uh... session. :)

So, if you get her to talk in the minimum time (5 tries) that's $7500. It may take more than that.

Did you find a cheaper place? Do tell!

Back