• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Smugglin-why do patrols always show up?

What cannons should I choose to get the optimal setup? right now my fleut carries 16LB whic are meh :/ I was thinking bout upgrading my ship and get some more pimped ones. Is it worth it? I'd like to prepare my ship for battle. I was able to find some very nice officers-good fighters and a canoneer whos got cannons and accuracy over 70! :)

Luke-I found a profitable trade route from Belize to fort Orange :) Belize exports silver and Fort Orange buys it. I got a profit around 100g piece. When silver ran out I looked closer into Belize's offer and what did I found? Ebony-more than 150g per unit of profit and 12k units in their storage :D Guess what I'm gonna sell to Fort Orange now?
What's really surprising is that sometimes towns say they export a thingy and it's way more expensive than the same goods at an another town! Same goes for import.

BTW What happens to a fighter officers if he gets killed in a fight?

What cannons should I choose to get the optimal setup? right now my fleut carries 16LB whic are meh :/ I was thinking bout upgrading my ship and get some more pimped ones. Is it worth it? I'd like to prepare my ship for battle. I was able to find some very nice officers-good fighters and a canoneer whos got cannons and accuracy over 70! :)

Luke-I found a profitable trade route from Belize to fort Orange :) Belize exports silver and Fort Orange buys it. I got a profit around 100g piece. When silver ran out I looked closer into Belize's offer and what did I found? Ebony-more than 150g per unit of profit and 12k units in their storage :D Guess what I'm gonna sell to Fort Orange now?
What's really surprising is that sometimes towns say they export a thingy and it's way more expensive than the same goods at an another town! Same goes for import.

You can only upgrade your cannons one step above their current max. Whether or not it is worth it depends on your playstyle. Larger cannon have longer range and do more damage, but they are the same as any other weight on your ship so they will cause your ship to lose some speed and manueverability. A trader might value the speed more, but in general it is worth it.

Officers can be resurrected using the skull icon but make sure you loot them first. Then give them back their items.

The Silver helps to bring some money in but gold is the better one so i've found. Ebony is a nice profit maker aswell, if you choose to do business the legal way or illegal way its a tidy profit, of course you will make far more selling it to a smuggler but thats your choice. Your reputaion does take a hit for smuggling and your honest officers do tend to drop some loyalty to you so it can be a big problem in the early stages, i try to aviod smuggling completly since there's often plent of routes around its just finding them, sometimes asking where the merchants have just come from helps you update your trade sheets and you can sometimes find a trade route that way. 12K of Ebony should have you rolling around in piasters in no time, just watch out for those blasted pirates.

I've started yet again, this time everything has been set to low, experience gain is set to lowest to help make it a little more fun and to make it so i reliy more on officers than my own abilities, the ship encounters has been set to lowest setting aswell because i found it annoying been chased by pirates all the time, not fun at all and they do have better class ships than me most of the time not to mention a fleet of 3 or 4 ships, 4 ships vs my 12 cannon Lugger which calibur is 12 pounders, not good so i reliy on speed at the moment. I may have found a route, Silver from Basse-Teere to Charlestown making about 400 piasters, not much but every piaster counts and at the moment i own 4000 piasters to charlestown's money lender and i have a further 29,000 piasters which is mainly thanks to a govener quest to hunt down the pirate preying on merchants in the area, i was in my starting ship the Bermuda Sloop and the pirates was in my new ship a Lugger, the Bermuda Sloop only has 8 cannons so i boarded the Lugger and captured her, sold the Bermuda Sloop for 16,000 piasters and got a reward of 5,400 or so piasters for completing the quest.:D I sold the Silver i had brought up from Basse-Terre and i sold the cannons all 8 of them off the Bermuda Sloop before i sold her. In total i have 34,000 piasters now.:D my nav skill is far to low to sail anything above class 6 at the moment lol.

Nice work, Luke! :) 34k at the start is big money! You can now power trade some stuff if You find an officer with both commerce perks.
I was able to find an even more profitable trade route: I take gold from Maracibo to Willemstad-200g profit per unit, 300k per route. From Willemstad I take goods like clothes, linnen and everything that can bring me money :) This route is even better then Belize- Fort Orange. With good winds I'm in Willem in 3-4 days. Too bad Maracaibo doesn't have too much gold :/
At least they got some silver :) I think it's the best time to upgrade my ship. My nav ios below 50 and I can't take any more officers.
Can I buy class 3 ships or do I have to catch them on sea? I'd love to get me a ship which has the cargo size of at least my ship (3300) and some decent cannons to it. Speed is nice for a trader but not the most important to me. I can easily lose any foes with my Fleut :)

Thanks and to answer your question about buying class 3 ships, i have seen a Corvette for sale and my nav skill is only 21. I think the officers skills also affect what you can get hold of, so if you have an officer who has a nav skill of 60+ then use him/her as your nav officer.

I I managed to get myself a Caravel which has a cargohold of 31000 and 30, 24 pounders onboard, she's fast enough to keep most ships at bay and those that can keep up often find her cannons are not very welcoming, i normally target the saild of larger more powerful ships, that way i can sail away into the sunset or moon light as so often is the case. I haven't found any more routes or better officers. It would be nice to get a much better officer to replace the trade officer who's skill is 42 and has basic commerce perk.

One of the reasons i have made so much money apart from the pirate ship i captured, is i enter world map view i remain near the port and wait for the pirate ship which is often on its way to attack me, to come close when the screen comes up saying attack or sail on i attack (its my only choice anyway lol) i let the fort cannons do most of the damage as they damage the sails, crew and the ships hull. I sail around the ship blasting grapeshots at it, then i go in and capture it/them and if the captain surrenders i let him go after capturing his ship which i sell at which ever port i'm at and i keep doing this till its safe to sail on.:p

As expected the skills been so low has ment i have to rely more on officers which is good, its what i wanted, the skills do take forever to increase which is also what i wanted. Now i have a Caravel i can make about 9000 piasters per merchant quest i do. Not as much as i use to do but that should increase as either my trade skill increases or i find better officers with trade skills.

Whats your Fleut's specs? and have you done any upgrades to her?

If i had to choose a ship from the standard game i would choose the Corvette, she's a class 3 ship with 32 connons, fast averaging about 17 knots perhaps faster and with anything from a 2500 to a 3000 cargohold, after upgrading is done she could carry about 4000 units of cargo and do about 19 to 20 knots, the hull could be as strong as 4000+ which isn't bad, if you install the mod for 42 pounder cannons (which doesn't require a restart) you can upgrade your cannons to 42 pounders at the pirate settlement and hit targets some 800 to 850 yards away Here'#s the topic that tells you how to do it. http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?/topic/14206-shipyard-upgrade-cannons-%26gt%3B-42-caliber/

If you install the ship and character mods i would choose the Constintution for her speed and medium sized cargohold of about 4000 units. I'm currently making a story, a story that is based on ship from my characters past thats returned to reak havoc in the Carribean. I'm just telling the past and how my character came to be etc, here's a little part of that story.

Hi my name is Kidd, William Kid, and i'm going to tell you a story, a story about a ship that was feared by many and was the image of my nightmares for so many years and will remain that way for many more years to come. Back when i first became a captain i sailed a ship called the Night Hawk. She was a fast Colonial Schooner capable of 19 knots and 15 knots when fully loaded with cargo. She had 20, 24 calibur cannons that could hit a target 650 paces away, she was a fears ship and i had bled enough blood on her to be a blood relative.

I was new to the Carribean, life back then was more simple than it is now which we will get to later on in this story. I didn't have much of a clue how to trade but i figured it was easy to learn and learn i did, i was making a nice tidy profit enough to see me through the hard times and enjoy the good times, one day however i stopped at Charlestown it was here that i would become a popular person with the locals and where i would spend most of my day's.

One day after arriving at Charlestown to unloading the Tobacco i had just delivered to the store i decided to have a drink at the tavern. I figured unloading would take a few hours and if the store owner needs goods taking back to Port Royal it would take a few more hours so no need to rush. While in the tavern having a drink a man walked over and sat down saying he had a proposition for me, it involved illegal goods but i would be making a large sum of money, well i had fallen on hard times of late, trading had become less and less what with so many of the more established merchants buying Fleut's and Caravel's and other better trade ship. These ships was capable of holding anything from 2700 up to 3500 units of goods some merchants claimed their ships could carry over 4000 units of cargo which far out classed my cargo hold of 1300 units of goods.

This is one of the reasons i started again aswell, the problem i have is i go much to far into the game and then find myself haveing to back track, there will be no pictures of the past only the present which is where i'm getting to now. In the game all i'm doing is making money and trying to get to a point where the start of the present day can begin.

I think You mistyped Luke- 31000 for a Caravel? More like 3100? As for my fleut-I upgraded it today with all ups, except the crew seize one (cost like 500k total). I don't need it for now. My current statistics are: 14,5 speed, 3800 hull, 4000 hold, 45 manouverability, 24 pound cannons. The fights now are way more fun :) Wehn I get chased by some losers I do what You do- hide behind a fort :> In most cases those damn pirates get away. Their ships got sunk a few times. Since my cannons feel bigger ( :> ) I chase after them :) A few booms with grapeshots and the ship is mine. 2 of my biggest victories- Galleon with 350 crew and a fancy Corvette, which couldn't escpae from me and got a rain of grapes on it :D The galleon killed 90/170 of my crew. But hey! They had like 300 crew because I didn't have enuf time to grape them till they surrendered. The corvette was a funny one- it just floated and took my grapes XD After I boarded it (it surrendered without a fight) it had 19 people on it. Can I do anything with the loser pirate captains? I took 2 into my cargo as prisoners. Asked them to join me but they said "no". Their crew are my slaves which go to the market in Bermuda (legal slave market! yay!).
Right now I just sail around the islands and try for a better and deadlier ship. My treasurer will get kicked because I need someone with high defence. I can't take anymore officers on board :/ It's hard to find any officers thou :(
One more question- what should I do to minimize my crew loses? Get a doctor-OK, high defence-OK. Anything else? What difference does a high grappling skill make?

Can I do anything with the loser pirate captains? I took 2 into my cargo as prisoners. Asked them to join me but they said "no". Their crew are my slaves which go to the market in Bermuda (legal slave market! yay!).
Right now I just sail around the islands and try for a better and deadlier ship. My treasurer will get kicked because I need someone with high defence. I can't take anymore officers on board :/ It's hard to find any officers thou :(
One more question- what should I do to minimize my crew loses? Get a doctor-OK, high defence-OK. Anything else? What difference does a high grappling skill make?

You can release the captains by speaking with them (in your cargo hold) while in port. That will raise your reputation. You can also turn them over to the authorities, which will lesson your reputation. Doesn't make much sense, I know.

Officers appear at random when you enter a tavern, meaning you can use a technique known as "savescumming". In this case, you would save before entering the tavern. If you don't like what's there when you go in, reload and go in again.

In addition to a doctor and high defense, make sure who is ever manning the doctor position takes the "Medic" perk. Or you take it yourself.

Grappling skill means you can grapple from farther away the higher the skill is.

What ol' Scroggy be sayin' 'bout dem captured Pyrate Captains! :p2

Now if'n ye ask dem loser Captains several times, they likely be a changin' thar minds 'bout joinin' as an Officer! :cheeky

I've been having some fun with my ship- chasing pirates, cutting their crew down to almost none with grapes and then sinking their ships with bombs :D The funniest thing was a lugger put up more of a fight than a corvette!! XD The lil lugger eeven tried to manouver! The bastard killed 5 of my soldiers. He went to the seabed for that :) The corvette was trying to escape and shot only its rear cannons. Grape shots till it had 10 crew and board after that. After some time I noticed my canoneers don't bother much with gaining experience :( They shoot a lot now, since I'm having fun with enemy ships. I dont catch them becuase they are worth like 60k? Who would bother really? Sinking 'em with cannons gives a nice boost to my stats :D Well anyways-it's weird.
I forgot to take the Shared Experience perk 0_0 Totally forgot bout it :( I will take it next time I get the chance. I know I could just hire more esperienced canonners in taverns. The problem is all I can get are greenhorns or average :/ I was able to "cheat" the number of my officers- I simply added a captive captain to join me :D Cool dude-9 talent and a very good fighter with 71 in light weps.

LOL, your having alot of fun by the sounds of things. Have you tried saving your game before entering the tavern and reloading till you get the officer(s) you want?

I've had a very eventfull day, i managed to capture a Corvette with my Caravel, i sold the Corvette and used the money i had made to buy a Fluyt only to capture yet another Corvette however this time i stored her in Charlestown, whilest in Charlestown i was happy to find Silver been very cheap so i loaded my Fluyt, i had to borrow some money my pockets wasn't deep enough to fill the Caravel's hold but that was the last time i had to borrow any money lol

As i was about to set sail from Charlestown a pirate attacked, they had 2 Pinnac's which i had to capture, just think of the money i would get for them lol. Then i saw there holds was bigger than my Fluyt so the Fluyt was sold and i no have 2 Pinnac's which have a combined cargohold of 7974, my Pinnac has a compacity of 4000 so when upgraded it should hold 1000 to 1500 more units of goods.:D

I've bourght a letter of marque for England so i can now attack all enemies of England, the good news is this has reduced the military ships i bump into on the world map from either Spain or Holland, now i mainly have to worry about pirates. And after going to Bridgetown i found they had 13k of Sandlewood for 94g per unit, and Basse-Terre pay's 280g per unit, so i bourght the two Fluyt's that was in the shipyard and have loaded all my ships with Sandlewood and will head to Basse-Terre now, there i will sell the goods and head back to Bridgetown and keep running this route till either the profit is no longer there or the supply of Sandlewood is gone, however The Port Of Spain has about 4k of Sandlewood for 163g so i could alway's sell that aswell.:p

I'm on the look out for my fav ship now, the Constitution, i have 121,000 piasters on my and all the money i will make after selling all this Sandlewood so i should have about 800,000 to 1.2m gold.:D

i found a decent trade route myself mahogany from Willemstad to fort orange.make bout 200k each trip

Your lucky i was begining to think it was impossible to make a profit on mahogany without selling it to a smuggler, all the towns i visit either sell it high or sell it at between 350 to 400 piasters but the lowest a store will buy it at was around 267 piasters which means its no good. Granted i have yet to visit an enemy port where things could very well be different, i'm playing as England, Allied to France, enemy to both Spain and Holland and of course the pirates.

I've made my game a little more challanging for myself by adding rules (yes i found it too easy in the end) one rule i made was i could change my ship at the start of the game for any class 6 ship i want (if i can afford it), i would have to change my ship by April if i wanted to change my ship otherwise i would have to wait till April 1666 before i could change it again. Sounds dumb i know, but but i change ships more than i sail and after only 3 to 4 months of sailing i have a fleet of 2 to 3 ships, if i find a very profitable route those companions end up with Caravels fully loaded with the best calibur (normally only buy Caravel's that can have 24 pounders) i then update the calibur to 24 pounders for all companions and look for another high profit trade route whioch often means i'm already making close to 1 million per route depending on cargo type and sail price etc. And as for my ship its either a Corvette, Constitution (if i can find her) or another fast but powerful ship.

So by making myself have to limit the times i can change ships per year means i get to have fun sailing around in small class 6 ship for a year before been able to upgrade to a class 5 ship so basically even if i have the nav skill to sail class 1 ships i can only move up 1 class at a time so 6 years into the game is when i can sail class 1 ships. As for companions, i can only have 1 at the start and he/she also has to sail a class 6 ship and follows the same rules as me.

I can capture otherships to sell but i can't keep any ships i capture in less i,m due to change my ship and the ship is only 1 class above mine, i can drop from class 1 to class 6 ot even 7 if i want but i can't go from class 7 to class 1 in 1 year. Complicated to explain but basically it means i have a harder time, i make less money, the towns get to build there stocks up without me depliting them too fast and i spend most of my time running rather than destroying.

My notibale battle took place at Fort-De-France where as i was leaving vie world map view i got attacked by a Dutch fleet of 2 ships. The main threat was the Black Pearl and the second ship was the Heavy Galleon sitting some 700 yards away, i was in the Packet Brig a 22 gunner with 16 pounder Culverins, i don't know what the enemy stats was because i only had regular spy glass and i couldn't see sail or hull damage for them because i had turned the ship stats that appear above the ships off (i found it annoying and made the good spy glass only usefull for the other stats it offered like troop amounts etc) i told my companion who was in a Lugger to sail away, i tried to sail away but the wind was against us meaning for the enemy ships they could storm in and wipe us out. I noticed the Black Pearl wasn't interested in me (stupid AI) they only seem interested in your companions. So i parked my ship right infront of the Black Pearl she couldn't go forward or turn left/right without damaging her own ship, all she could do was fire her two forward guns into my ship and wait till my compnaion was in the firing line of her broadside which took quite a while.

I was firing 10 cannons loaded with grapes into the front of the Black Pearl, this been my first sea battle ment my cannon skills was low and the officer i had only had 42 cannon and 35 aiming so it took a long time for those Culverins to reload. I had 134 crewmen onboard and lost 9 men after a few shots from the Black Pearls forward gunns, she tried to rurn but by doing so lost her bow mast or what ever its called lol Bow Spitter something like that. Anyway the Black Pearl was getting frustrated by now, i have no idea how many crew she had before the battle all i know is when she grappled me she lost the battle and i had no chioce but to watch as she sunk. (had this been a normal game ie without my own rules. I would have taken her on and blasted the Heavy Galleon out of the water) but i had no choice but to sail away thinking if only as she sank. Thats been my most memoral battle so far, i guess it was because i had never before put my own ship at risk so early on in the game, it took about 40 to 45 minutes (real minutes) to sail out from Fort-De-France, the Franch didn't help because they are not at war with the Dutch otherwise it would have been more easier, i nopw make sure i know who's allied or not at war with whom so i dont get courght out like that again.

yeah i'm playing Spanish at moment course i'm no where near as good at playing as you are
i'm on easiest difficulty have world map encounters turned off,food/rats turned off.

but i found out that a good way to start if ya looking to get into high ships is to
do missions for the shop owners.

it raises both nav and treasure skills insanely fast and it helps leadership too.

but i get more enjoyment from sea battles then trade,so I've started doing govner
missions in hopes of getting the privateer licence so i can earn money by sinking ships. :sail

The truth is the money are not balanced at all. It is hard to get them in the begining which is OK, but they become "useless" later - I mean it is so easy to earn tremendous amount of money and more important - there is nothing you need them for.
Not to mention the huge amounts you can earn from the money lenders (btw - there are 5 "safe" money-lenders - the 4 capitals and Panama)

yeah it is rather easy to amass a mil specialy cause the ship i want is never for sell :will
but that's ok for it's flaws this game is still fun.so hopefully the modders will stick with
it plus more will come and we can address some of the flaws :dance

I took the rat god quest. The lady was hard to convince-8x 4,5k in a Willemstad fun house. I didn't want to waste time looking for cheaper ladies because I can afford a 4,5k one. Anyways the destination was the Amatica Bay. I ran around and foud 2 chests and both were not usable. So I loaded the game and took an another try. I found it between some rock :D Now the damn rats won't bug me anymore :) While looking around I encountered 3 dudes chasing a girl. I started the fight and they couldn't even scratch me! Ovearhead brely wounded me! I've got the damage reducion perks and the Spanish Cuirass. Simply amazing!
I encountered a pirate named Dubios in a tavern. He offered me to raid a sunk spanish convoy which was carrying silver. Go for it? Is it really worth it? I declined 2 times but I think the guy might return. The quest was named A Pirate's Proposition.
I also met Ian Stance in a tavern somewhere. This time he agreed to join me. He seems like a noob. Talen 4 or 5. Take 'em or leave 'em?

Hey, i got Amatica Bay as the destination too, but the problem is i can't find it! The lady said on the main, but where exactly?

Back