• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

So this is Xenforo

Keith

Raping the Horses and Stealing the Women!
Staff member
Administrator
OK everyone, this is a bit of a test. If the conversion has gone well I'll probably stick with it otherwise we'll go back to IPB.

A couple of reasons I wanted to go this way. One is that IPB have abandonded their portal system in favour of their ip.content. Which is a good service if your a programmer, it sucks if your not. The other is that I think IPB has become too bloated and we were having legacy issues. Other bonuses are you can create pages instead of forum posts and there is a very good portal mod & blog system. Most of the mods for Xenforo are free whilst for IPB almost everything is commercial.

Xenforo is pretty new and based on a different architecture, so have a play and see how we go!

Also, i've installed a dark theme, you choose it in your profile page

It's a very slick layout, and seems to perform well, I'll give it that.
Again, it will take some getting used to, but I can ultimately see it working out.

One thing I absolutely hate... and I'm sure I'm not alone... are the new smilies.
Much preferred the old classic ones in IPB. Any way to import them?

Oh, and all the links to threads in the old forum will need to be updated.
The first one I noticed was the FAQ link in my sig, so I've corrected that.

Also, is there no way of multi-quoting, like in IPB?

EDIT: and some people need their display names changing (like I did), because this place shows what used to be our login names.

Well, that was quite a shock before caffeine, I really must start waking up fully before I get on the internet! Seems to be working ok now though. I'll play with it some more when I get home from work.

And I agree with you completely Armada, the new smilies are pathetic!

Edit: Seems some BBCode needs worked on as well.

That's good news; at least this proves that I sorted out the permissions correctly. Hylie told me everything was marked as 'Private' before.

Luckily, I've also found out how to change the smilies! We just need to know the URLs of the images we want, choose the associated text, and we can kiss these new ones goodbye...

With the emotes I can import the IPB ones to replace the xeno ones no problem.

I know how important management of one's site is so I understand the reasons for changing, but at the same time there are some things about the change that I don't like.

I don't like the new smileys, although they are a relatively minor problem, but at least the previous ones have been installed instead.

The theme is more important to me. As I said before, would it be possible to make the previous theme (the one before the changes) a selectable option? The new ones are clean and all, but the previous one was easier to read and navigate.

The darker theme didn't help much as it is too dark (the default is too bright). It is also too small, since it is just a dark version of the "Flexile" theme.

Not trying to complain, just speaking my mind. ;)

1. Peter, no worries. I've changed the name so you may need to login in again

2. Baste, yeah I know what you mean. After I get all the admin things sorted out I'll be changing the skin to look a bit like the pa.net main site so it will be a more light grey which should make things a little less painful on the eyes.

If that means it will be as close to the previous theme as possible, then that's great. :)

EDIT: I just checked the index page, and it looks very bright as well. Is it or is it just me? :/

Oh, and would it be possible to remove the "Are you sure you want to log out?" window? It's somewhat annoying. :p

Aside from the BBCode stuff, I lost the notes I had on the old IP Board forums, ah well it was really nothing to important. I'll take a look through those themes and do some more playing.

Thanks for fixing the emoticons Keith! I am gonna see how many more of the old ones I can find, I had a few backed up, I'll let you know!

Thag, the old IPB is still there I just have a redirect at the moment. If we go Xenforo way O'll put it up out of the way but so people can still grab stuff.

Grey, no worries all done, you may need to relogin.

Ah cool, thanks mate! :onya

Back