• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Soleil Royal 1670

I think this is the reason for the missing ropes.
Should be easily adjusted. IF you can open the GM files with the TOOL. Which I can't. :facepalm

Here some possible english counterparts for the Soleil Royal
HMS Prince:
prineroyal1.jpg

HMS Sovreign of the Seas:
sovereign_of_the_seas_787.jpg

I think i like the sovereign better... plus skipping the detail in the upper hull and simplifying the figurehead should be also easier to model... i mean... there are too many round shapes in the prince...

I'll ask again: Can somebody please make the required modifications to have this ship work properly in PotC as well?
It shouldn't require too much work; just some locator changes.

ZarethPL tried and failed. The model messes up before you ever get it into a program to be able to fix it.
I have no clue what could be done about the Soleil Royal apart from the original modeler re-appearing and fixing her up. :facepalm

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid, but what is exactly wrong with the Soleil royal that it needs fixing?

I never tried to play with her ingame, so I know nothing about it, only that she's a really nice looking ship.

The problem is for PotC: she needs some locators renamed and added, but doing so messes up the model. Badly.
Trying to fix the model ALSO messes up the model. Badly. :facepalm

I just tried the Soleil Royal which is in the build, and have this to say... Sorry if this sounds rude, but... could it be so messed because the guy who "made" the model didn't really make her?
rolleyes.gif

I'm sure that I've seen it on 3d-warehouse (or something sounding like that) and that's the same model, which I actually have downloaded (it's somewhere on my pc). If I recall it was born as a *.3ds file. Could this be the reason why it got so messed up?

She works fine in AoP/CoAS, as far as I'm aware. She isn't messed up there.
She only gets messed up when we make the PotC required adjustments.
If she's taken from some site, at least the guy did a good job converting her.

As my forum-scanning led me to recall, I noticed that there wasn't a "WIP" screenshot of the giant French battlewagon. She suddenly appeared close to final completion state.

I hope we have permission to use the model, or at least, it is open source. Unlikely given the complexity of sailship models.

I never said that whoever made it playable did a bad job, I only wish the things weren't rushed as it seems to me now.

I found the 3ds file. Model which I have seems a bit unfinished and yet has 58k faces. Here are some pics of it:
render2.jpg

(the "thing" on the right is what I get when trying to export the ingame model to obj format in GM viewer... and it has 117k faces
piratesing.gif
)

render6.jpg

render5.jpg

Other things I managed to notice is that some polygons think they're separate elements of one object or even separate objects. Some are inverted (the crooked ladder and "cannons"...
laugh.gif
)

render4.jpg

Maybe someone can use this model to rebuild the ship? If needed I'll upload the file to ftp, just ask

(the "thing" on the right is what I get when trying to export the ingame model to obj format in GM viewer... and it has 117k faces
That looks similar to the problem Captain Maggee and ZarethPL have also encountered. :(

its not the model it self that is messed ,its that obj does not hande such high poly counts and reduces them givin us effect like that

But using TOOL to export to VRML or X also messes it up, doesn't it?

Back