• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Some comments on New Horizons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malicious software inserted into a game that destroys the intended enjoyment for no reason other than the malicious intent of the coder fits this description. Tell me what makes the cursed coin such a beneficial part of the NH experience? Does it further your enjoyment of the game or totally disrupt the concept on which the game is based?
So... You personally don't like the Disney films, therefore "cursed coin = malware"?
That just made my day! Sooooo funny!!! :rofl

NH is intended to be the type of game that features simulated sailing ships and activity during the very romantic tall ships era, based on the C. S. Forester series of novels, which I have read and you should.
Awww man, couldn't you have told me that sooner?
I've been guiding the development of NH for the past ten years, but you only tell me what it was intended to do NOW?!?

For the record, the Hornblower books are literally my favourite series of novels ever.
Also, the spinning cursed coin was added to the mod at my suggestion.
The one does not bite the other. Not for me anyway. ;)
If it offends you so much, changing it to something else is easy enough to do yourself.

And since when did Sid Meier have something to do with Akella? :razz

This effort is the best yet attempt to get a C. S. Forester based game into the gaming community and due to the efforts of world-wide gaming community coders it is possible if they just have the right motivation.
Hornblower storyline is already in the game. Extra Side-Quest on its way too.
But that's just part of the game; not all of it.
So people who enjoy Forester, can get what they want. And so can people who want something else.
Best of all, people who want EVERYTHING get that too. ;)

Have you ever heard of deconstructing a document? After deleting all of your mindless rants there is almost nothing left. I would suggest that you start taking your meds again.

Btw, I have played Sid Meier's Pirates and it wasn't that good. His other games were better.
His other games were not sailing ships oriented... perhaps why you liked them better?

Ever heard of throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

Ron, despite your redundant protests to the contrary, you clearly have not given up on playing Pirates of the Caribbean or tantrum-throwing troll.

You are not going to bully anyone over to your offensive, stilted view of things. You have, however, succeeded masterfully at making me care even less about what you have to say.

As before, have fun searching elsewhere for whatever it is you think you want.
Have been searching without luck... since this is the only game in town I'm stuck with it... Kinda like MicroSoft and Win95?

Besides with each update I hope that my messages have gotten through and someone has seen reason to make a change.

Just calling it as I see it... if you have a different opinion... good for you. Continue enjoying the gimmicks.

The challenge is to find ways to work-around the bogus logic scheme used to frame this trash.

I enjoy a good challenge.

So... You personally don't like the Disney films, therefore "cursed coin = malware"?

I've been guiding the development of NH for the past ten years, but you only tell me what it was intended to do NOW?!?

For the record, the Hornblower books are literally my favourite series of novels ever.
If it offends you so much, changing it to something else is easy enough to do yourself.

So people who enjoy Forester, can get what they want. And so can people who want something else.

I've seen the Hornblower listing.
Sid was tricked into fronting the Atari version of the Akella game ( licensed?) and his promotions described a much better game ... closer to NH than resulted. Disney hired Bethesda Softworks to mod the Akella game into their movie connected attempt to merchandise this game to their target consumer.

I've only been able to access this forum recently since the last year I've been unable to get the login code that was supposed to be sent to my email.

Malware is the term for any piece of software with malicious intent. Malware includes spyware, worms, viruses, and other malicious programs. Anything that ruins an otherwise good program is malware. Given that definition and my interpretation I would be interested in a logical discussion of why you felt the cursed coin that turns everyone into homicidal zombies is a good feature in an otherwise C. S. Forester simulation... which is what I am trying to find.

Justify your intent for this gimmick, and the rational of why this is not an option on the start menu? I am very interested in hearing your rationale, perhaps you can persuade me to accept this as part of the game play enjoyment... which is, after all, why we play such games... right?

Speaking of malware, it seems the posts by ron foster fit that category quite nicely.
You obviously do not know what you are talking about:
Malware is the term for any piece of software with malicious intent. Malware includes spyware, worms, viruses, and other malicious programs.

Not just the opinion of someone who disagrees with you... you live your life and let others live theirs... right?

It's been fun guys but the tide is turning and I must get underway.

Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Malware is the term for any piece of software with malicious intent. Malware includes spyware, worms, viruses, and other malicious programs. Anything that ruins an otherwise good program is malware.
Exactly true.
A graphic of something spinning that does no harm to any software or hardware components therefore qualifies in exactly zero ways.
Personal preference is as unrelated as it comes.
So as long as you keep using that word inappropriately, you sound like a troll.

Given that definition and my interpretation I would be interested in a logical discussion of why you felt the cursed coin that turns everyone into homicidal zombies is a good feature in an otherwise C. S. Forester simulation... which is what I am trying to find.
It's not a C.S. Forester simulation though, is it?
It can be for those people who want it to be.
And it can be something else for those people who want something else.
We like catering to all audiences at the same time.

Justify your intent for this gimmick, and the rational of why this is not an option on the start menu?
You want an options menu bigger than the sun, do you? :razz

But seriously, when the first PotC film came out, I liked it a lot. That is why I bought this game. And that is how I got here.
Which means NH in its current form would never have existed of it weren't for a film with cursed coins in it.
I thought they would add some nice flavour to the mod and another modder agreed and made it. It's been in the mod ever since.
The Hornblower storyline was also written at my suggestion, but many years later.

Ultimately, you're using a huge amount of words to say "I'd prefer something other than that spinning cursed coin".
That's fair enough, so just swap out progress.tga.tx with a version you do like and be done with it.
There is a weird sphere version from the stock game you could copy in.
Or a spinning steering wheel from Age of Pirates, which might work.
Hardly worth making such a fuss over.

Inspired by very recent modding developments by @Homo eructus:
a5fd9f50473ea78ab4a5668771803996dfaebe931facffc060a9c530337dc7e7.jpg

Offensive? Who is offended...you? Why? I directed none of my diatribe to you. I am stating my reactions to a game that is all potential and very poorly executed. The coders who did this hatchet job should be working for MicroSoft since they seem to be trying to emulate Win95.
I stated my assessment of your, as you managed to accurately articulate for a change, diatribe. Yet once again, you shoot wide of the mark regarding the context of the word "offensive". I do find in retrospect that using the words "laughable", "patently ridiculous", and "flaming dumpster fire" would have been equally on point without making your head hurt quite as much.

If you feel bullied I suggest you might want to discuss this with your psychologist.
Again, context. A pity it escapes you so. In this case, "bully" refers to your single-minded attempts to beat everyone over the head with your utterly inane point of view to satisfy your obsession with being right, facts and reason be damned. Perhaps your next chat with your therapist will be a productive one. I rather doubt it.

Stilted? Are you a literate person? Stilted indeed.
Yes. Stilted. As in skewed with respect to normalcy. Hilariously so. Given your penchant for slinging words about without any regard whatsoever for their actual, documented meaning, the idea you would question anyone's literacy is pure farce.

Since you enjoy the game as-is, keep on trucking, and stay out of my lane.
Easy enough, seeing how your lane leads under a bridge like any good little troll.

Malware is the term for any piece of software

Actually, forum posts are one form of software. Software includes more than just programs, although probably only people in the industry understand this fully.

Your name is familiar. Did you play backgammon on GameSpy some years ago?

Hook

I've seen the Hornblower listing.
Then I am curious as to why you choose not to play that storyline.

Malware is the term for any piece of software with malicious intent. Malware includes spyware, worms, viruses, and other malicious programs. Anything that ruins an otherwise good program is malware.
The key phrase there is "malicious intent". Plenty of other people enjoy PoTC:NH, and certainly it is nobody's intention to harm enjoyment, therefore "malicious intent" is false. Calling a game you do not like "malware" is the same as calling a food which you do not like "poison".

Given that definition and my interpretation I would be interested in a logical discussion of why you felt the cursed coin that turns everyone into homicidal zombies is a good feature in an otherwise C. S. Forester simulation... which is what I am trying to find.

Justify your intent for this gimmick, and the rational of why this is not an option on the start menu? I am very interested in hearing your rationale, perhaps you can persuade me to accept this as part of the game play enjoyment... which is, after all, why we play such games... right?
So, you want the cursed coin to be an option which you can switch off at the start of the game?

There are two ways you can disable the cursed coin. One is to pick a storyline which disables it entirely; "Hornblower" is such a storyline. The other is to choose "Realistic" mode. In fact, that is the default setting. You can only get the curse of the coin by switching to "Arcade" mode. But of course, you'd never do that if you want a realistic game, would you?

Basically, the curse is an option which you have to switch on at the start of the game. You evidently chose to switch it on, and then complained about it. xD

"I enjoy a good challenge."

That statement combined with the tone of all your other posts puts your presence here in its proper perspective. Please remember that you are a guest here. This is not a Democracy and there is no 1st Amendment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back