• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some general comments and questions

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
I am playing the 1/24 version and have some general questions. I have successfully played for 8 months of game time.

1. When you have both the excellent French Admiralty Sword, the excellent polish sabre, and you quick equip you the French blade but it seems like the numbers on the Polish blade are better. If I remember from earlier if you quick equip you will always get the promotion blade if the qualities are similar. Why is this?

2. I have 10 turpeth, 3 confecto demcratis, 4 laudanum and can't find the Acetum what ever anywhere. I get these things are supposed to be rare but really, none in 8 months.

3. I think I am stuck with constant relations b/w nations and I can't find the option to turn that off, has something changed about that?

4. I have encountered a few ships captains who fight with rifles and bayonets. Seems wrong to me.

5. The Indians seem to have a lot of gold on them.

1. When you have both the excellent French Admiralty Sword, the excellent polish sabre, and you quick equip you the French blade but it seems like the numbers on the Polish blade are better. If I remember from earlier if you quick equip you will always get the promotion blade if the qualities are similar. Why is this?
I think it is because the Quick-Equip makes its decision based on "minlevel".
Promotion blades are "unique" and to prevent them from randomly showing up, they have "minlevel = 99".
So they almost always end up chosen over anything else. :facepalm

2. I have 10 turpeth, 3 confecto demcratis, 4 laudanum and can't find the Acetum what ever anywhere. I get these things are supposed to be rare but really, none in 8 months.
All four are equally rare, so that sounds like some tremendous bad luck. :(

4. I have encountered a few ships captains who fight with rifles and bayonets. Seems wrong to me.
We've discussed that before and we do intend to change that. But we'd rather do that once Beta 4 has been completed first.

Can you confirm if they actually fire their weapons? That was a problem before, but has hopefully been fixed now at least.

5. The Indians seem to have a lot of gold on them.
That shouldn't be possible!
From InternalSettings.h:
Code:
#define VC_MUMMY_NOMONEY         1      // BOOL - do mummies("indians") get money or not. Set to 1 and mummies get 0 for money.
And in LEnc_monsters.c:
Code:
   if (sti(GetAttribute(chr, "isIndian")) == true)
   {
     gunProb = 1.0;
     chr.name = VC_MUMMY_NAME; // ccc10.2
     chr.lastname = VC_MUMMY_LNAME; // ccc10.2
     if(VC_MUMMY_NOMONEY) chr.money = 0; // NK
     GiveItem2Character(chr, "indian"+ makeint(1 + rand(15)) );   // jun05 booty for stealing
     GiveItem2Character(chr, "mineral"+ makeint(1 + rand(2)) );   // jun05 booty for stealing
   }
So any and all money is being specifically removed from them.

Unless @Levis' Levelling ends up resupplying them with money again afterwards.... :confused:

Ok,

The Indians definitely have substantial gold, bows and arrows and usually multiple trinkets.

The ships captains do not fire muskets they use the bayonets as swords.

Also Pieter, you didn't answer question #3 about relations.
3. I think I am stuck with constant relations b/w nations and I can't find the option to turn that off, has something changed about that?

Thanks for your prompt response.

Sorry, I missed your relation question.
I'm not sure I understand it. What storyline are you playing?
Are relations between nations changing at random or not? And which of the two options do you want instead?

I am playing Free play. National relations are apparently not changing. I would like them change rabdomly.

2) That is common. I also get three of them and then it can take a year or more to get the fourth item.

3) The nations do change their relations but it remains static for quite a while and then they change every few months. In my current game peace has broken out and I have no enemies except the Spanish. That will change.

I am playing Free play. National relations are apparently not changing. I would like them change rabdomly.
In Free Play, they should already be doing that. But the chance is 1% per day, so on average, it should happen once every 100 days or so.
You could increase this number at the top of PROGRAM\NATIONS\nations.c though:
Code:
#define RELATION_CHANGE_PROBABILITY 1 // PB: Percentage chance of relation change per day, accepts 0.1 increments

Love your work, this is an awesome mod, looking forward to experiencing the new features :)

Last edited:
Love your work, this is an awesome mod, looking forward to experiencing the new features :)
Cheers! I moved your post here so at least it is still somewhere.

Which version are you playing? If all goes well, Beta 4 will be publicly released this weekend.

3/27. In my latest new game France and Portugal made peace two weeks into the game.

Last edited:
3/27. In my latest new game France and Portugal made peace two weeks into the game.
Cheers! I was responding to @Odieman above though. I hyjacked your thread to put his post in, since I didn't know what else to do with it. :wp

Anyway, good to have confirmation that the relation changes still work. :doff

Back