• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Some questions on sailing

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
Could I ask four questions on sailing implementation? I searched past threads but wasn't able to figure these out.

Thank you so much! :)

1) I read throughout the guides that square rigs are faster downwind. Is this fully reflected in ship stats already, or do square rigs get a bonus when sailing downwind in addition to their higher speed?

In other words, comparing a sloop and a square rigged vessel, each with 12 as the speed in ship stats, are they the same speed downwind, or is the sloop slower?

2) In the mod, do ships have a best point of sailing in relation to the wind? In other words, is a sloop at its fastest running downwind, or is it faster when at an angle to the wind?

3) Any other complexities of rigging types or hull types in the game that goes beyond the stats? For example, is a big wide hull ship already fully reflected in a lower maneuverability stat, or are there additional penalties that apply beyond it?

4) Does the amount of cargo being carried slow the ship or increase inertia? I found conflicting mentions in past threads.

1. This is handled through their "best point of sail" number in ships_init.c

2. So yes. ;)
There is "BestPoint" and "ClosestPoint".
Closest controls the angle at which you can still sail at all (prevents you from sailing straight into the wind).

3. In Realistic Mode, large inertia values are set.
There is also the "RigType" attribute that does... stuff. But I'm not entirely clear on what.

4. More cargo creates more immersion in the water and a lower speed.
Controlled by "speed depends weight" if I recall.

Back