• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some questions

Baste

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Hi! I hope this is in the right category.

I'm using a version of Pirates of the Caribbean with no downloaded mods installed, the only modifications used are the ones I have put in myself. I'm having trouble getting the Zaid Murro quest to work and thought I'd might ask here for help.

In the "IslaMuelle" file I have enabled both Vigila Mendes and Zaid Murro.

In the "quests_reaction" file I have changed the lines
Code:
LAi_group_SetCheck("PIRATES_IN_GAMBOA_SHIP", "fight_with_other_bandits_in_muelle_town_exit");
and
Code:
LAi_group_SetCheck("PIRATES_IN_GAMBOA_SHIP", "fight_with_other_bandits_in_muelle_town_exit_4");
to
Code:
LAi_group_SetCheck("BANDITS", "fight_with_other_bandits_in_muelle_town_exit");
and
Code:
LAi_group_SetCheck("BANDITS", "fight_with_other_bandits_in_muelle_town_exit_4");
but it still won't work so it seems I have to put in something else.

The Vigila Mendes quest works just fine. What do I have to do to make the Zaid Murro quest work as well? Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, is there any way to get Vigila Mendes to leave Isla Muelle's store after I've talked to him and completed the quest? Now he's just standing there every time I enter the store. I tried putting in
Code:
ChangeCharacterAddress(CharacterFromID("Vigila Mendes"), "none", "none");
under
Code:
case "zaid_to_muelle_town":
since I was going to do that quest afterwards anyway but it did not work.

And while I'm at it, is there anything I need to do to make the Clair Larrouse quest work? What about the Edgar Attwood quest? Any other quests in the code that I can enable?

Thanks for any help.

There's a whole bunch of quests that were disabled in the stock game and I think these were among them.
I'm not sure what is required to enable them, but I do know they're enabled and finished in all available Build Mod releases.
Why don't you just get a Build Mod version and be done with it? Then you're sure to have those quests and more. :rolleyes:
Even if you don't want to download too much or don't want too many changes (though I can't imagine why :razz ),
Build 12.1 is a must at the very least. Much more gameplay and lots of fixes included too!

Well, I thought I'd just get it to work with no build mods for now. That way I can keep a copy of all the files with the quests working in the game's original form, so to speak, and then later perhaps download a mod. That way I'm able to play both unmodified and modified, both working, and not having to choose just one. ;P

I'm guessing you're playing with a build mod, so if no one else knows how to enable them, could you perhaps upload your "quest_reaction" file or just post the bit for the quests? That way I can see for myself what's changed in the code and just put that into my own file.

As a last resort I guess I could download a build mod and apply it and check the changes in the code. :p

Baste, as Pieter says, a lot of the original quests in the stock game were bugged, that's one of the things that led us to modding the game in the first place. I wish we still had some of those much earlier builds to look at, but we lost a lot due to server crashes and just not backing everything up like we should have. What is in the code now is years of build development, so much so that it is almost unrecognizable from the stock game. Also as Pieter suggests, build 12.1 is probably your best bet. You might be able to dig up some of it with forum searches, but some posts are M.I.A. for the same reason.

We are currently working on manuals for the game that will include tutorials written by the original modders, those manuals are almost complete and should be released with the new New Horizon's beta in a week or so. Until then, you can find the tutorials on the old POTC wiki HERE! Not sure how much longer that site will be up though. :shrug

I do indeed play with Build and, as Thagarr says, there's just TOO much that's been changed.
It really IS like a new game. In a good way, because we never removed any good original game content. :cheeky
I might have a Build 11 installer somewhere, but that's really the oldest I have.
As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to not get at least 12.1 though.
Better than the original game in all respects. :yes

A build 11 installer?? Is that on the FTP by chance Pieter? I would really like to have a look at that one sometime! :will

Hmmm, I just got to thinking, I might actually have some of the older stuff backed up to CD somewhere, I'll do some digging and see if I can uncover any of it!

I don't think it's on the FTP; I'm not even sure if I have it anymore. Lemme see....

No hurry mate, I know your busy preparing to leave in a few days, just whenever you get the chance :)

Found it and uploading already. :razz

Actually, I'll leave late Sunday to return next Friday evening, then leave the next Thursday again. :shrug

Thanks mate, I'll download it in a bit! :onya

I saw you posted your schedule in the other thread, if I don't get the chance before you leave the second time, have a good trip mate and fair winds! :dance

Build 11 now available: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?app=downloads&showfile=71
It is only 21.5 MB, but does contain all stock game fixes and some good additional gameplay stuff.

I saw you posted your schedule in the other thread, if I don't get the chance before you leave the second time, have a good trip mate and fair winds! :dance
You'll stick around the forums, won't you? :shock

Absolutely! I gotta make sure Stallion keeps Deep One in line! xD:

I just like to say that kind of thing "in person" so to speak! :)

That 300 page manual is growing! Found a couple more files!! Thanks again Pieter! :onya

I see, so there's so much difference that it would be hard to see exactly what is needed to fix the quests. =/ Well, thanks for the information.

I think I found the mods. It's the ones under "Downloads", right? Just to know so I'm not downloading the wrong files or anything.

There's no changelog available? I haven't found one, but perhaps there's so many changes that listing them all easily couldn't be done.

Why specifically 12.1? I see version 13 is the latest stable, so why do you recommend that I download specifically 12.1?

Maybe I'll give a build mod a try. However, Thagarr, if you want to look and do find old versions that could have what I need to fix the quests without applying any mods, it would be appreciated. :p

We recommended 12.1 cause you said you didnt want to install mods... if you want the most stable and featured packed one then 14 Alpha 10.1 is the one you want

Exactly. Build 12.1, or even Build 11 (this is the correct link), are good if you don't want your game to change too much.
You'll have the fixes and some improvements, but not much else. See attached for the ReadMe's of Build 11, Build 12 and Build 13.
Big difference in Build 13 is that there's a new worldmap with more islands.

Build 14, aka Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons, isn't finished yet, but is very much playable.
The download is huge, but it's worth it, because the amount of new content is just plain incredible.
Have a look at our ModDB Profile: www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

Okay, so that's why. Yes, not too many changes for now.

Ah, changelog! Interesting. :)

By the way, I found this: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/pirate%20songs%20in%20ogg%20+%20a%20bonus/House%20of%20Mateus%20Santos%20-%20Build%2012.1%20Files/PROGRAM/QUESTS/quests_reaction.c - I guess that site is related to this site. I tried the changes in there but it still wouldn't work. I haven't tried using the entire file.

I don't know if this is of any use, but I also found this:
http://www.fileplanet.com/132922/130000/fileinfo/PotC-Build-v8.4
http://www.fileplanet.com/132925/130000/fileinfo/PotC-Build-v8.x-to-v9.1

So far I haven't been able to find anything else in my backups, I'll keep looking.

Nice find there Baste! I had forgotten about those. I can't remember for sure if NK put those up on file planet or not, I wish whoever did it had chosen a different place though, fileplanet sucks!!

Back