• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some suggestions

ye, tried that, but what I meant was: would it be possible to give the game a "towing" feature so I can sell the ship back on land?

I'm sure it is answered elsewhere, but is the max number of ships still four? Annoying....

Pirate_KK had the idea of allowing bigger fleets, but that would be complicated and not high on the priority list.
Especially since he's already too busy to do ANY PotC modding and we need him to finish some of his other stuff. :facepalm
Another thought is to assign an officer to the ship and tell him to sail to a port and sell the ship.
Based on some chance and loyalty and such, he may or may not arrive properly.
But that might be done largely through dialog.

I like the idea of going onto other captains' ships whilst at sea, maybe to trade with them. Is it possible to arrange it so when you come withing a certain distance, rather than being able to exchange goods with a ship (like you do with your own convoy), you can instead enter their ship deck, so long as they are currently allied to you? Then you would be able to talk to their captain, and that has been discussed before. I thought limiting access to cabin and deck only. It shouldn't be too hard and there is potential in it.

Could it be arranged? Yes. Somebody'd just have to code it in.
Erwin Lindemann was working on that and apparently managed to get a great deal working,
but we haven't heard from him in quite a while. :(

O, sounds ominous...

All it would take is switching the exchange for deck view and putting a captain in the cabin....

What latest game version? Experimental Mods?
You SHOULD be having flags. Lots of different ones too! :shock

I was wondering about experimenting with port charges and mooring costs at Port Royal port. Is there a way to lock the port doors until the character speaks to the guy in the head port house? A soldier or someone on the pier may tell them what to do?

Ok, the Laurance Wellman dialog now leads to the character paying a fee of 70 (could be changed).

How do I make the character have to speak to him?

Here's an example of a repeating quest case:
Code:
//------------------
//Tortuga Atmosphere
//------------------

case "Tortuga_start":
PChar.quest.Tortuga_atmosphere.win_condition.l1 = "location";
PChar.quest.Tortuga_atmosphere.win_condition.l1.character = PChar.id;
PChar.quest.Tortuga_atmosphere.win_condition.l1.location = "Tortuga_port";
PChar.quest.Tortuga_atmosphere.win_condition = "Tortuga_atmosphere";
break;

case "Tortuga_atmosphere":
Pchar.quest.Tortuga_start.win_condition.l1 = "ExitFromLocation";
Pchar.quest.Tortuga_start.win_condition.l1.location = "Tortuga_port";
Pchar.quest.Tortuga_start.win_condition = "Tortuga_start";

if(!CheckAttribute(PChar,"scarlett"))
{
sld = LAi_CreateFantomCharacter(false, 0, true, true, 0.25, "Towngirl7", "goto", LAi_FindRandomLocator("goto"));
LAi_SetImmortal(sld, true);
sld.dialog.filename = "Dame_dialog.c";
sld.id = "dame1";
sld.name = "Scarlett";
sld.lastname = "";
LAi_SetCitizenType(characterFromID("dame1"));

sld = LAi_CreateFantomCharacter(false, 0, true, true, 0.25, "Towngirl1_1", "goto", LAi_FindRandomLocator("goto"));
sld.id = "dame2";
sld.name = "Giselle";
sld.lastname = "";
LAi_SetCitizenType(characterFromID("dame2"));

sld = LAi_CreateFantomCharacter(false, 0, true, true, 0.25, "Danblack", "goto", LAi_FindRandomLocator("goto"));
sld.id = "dame3";
sld.name = "Annamaria";
sld.lastname = "";
LAi_SetCitizenType(characterFromID("dame3"));
}
This in a file somewhere will make the quest commence:
Code:
	//Tortuga Atmosphere
//Tortuga Atmosphere
You can use something like that, though it'd probably also be trigged if you DIDN'T actually moor in the port,
but just wandered there from town. :facepalm

Look through a quests_reaction.c file for some example of people talking to the player.
For example this:
Code:
			characters[GetCharacterIndex("Cutler Beckett")].Dialog.Filename = "Cutler Beckett_dialog.c";
LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Cutler Beckett"));
LAi_ActorDialog(characterFromID("Cutler Beckett"),PChar,"",10.0,10.0);
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Cutler Beckett")].dialog.currentnode = "Lazy_Captured_on_Oxbay";

So I could change the cutler beckett one to fit laurance wellman. Do I need to add a version of the tortuga location part (changed to port royale)?
Can I put all of this code in the dialog file or does it need to be elsewhere?

The first initialization has to be elsewhere, but the rest can go into a dialog, I think.
The "Tortuga" code is to make the event happen again next time you get into port.

//Tortuga Atmosphere
//Tortuga Atmosphere

So I can change this to port royale port. And where do I put this?

Then In the dialog file I put:

characters[GetCharacterIndex("Cutler Beckett")].Dialog.Filename = "Cutler Beckett_dialog.c";
LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Cutler Beckett"));
LAi_ActorDialog(characterFromID("Cutler Beckett"),PChar,"",10.0,10.0);
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Cutler Beckett")].dialog.currentnode = "Lazy_Captured_on_Oxbay";

But for laurance wellman. Am I right?

I think you can put the Tortuga-ish code in [Storyline]\StartStoryline.c; that has to be done for each storyline seperately.
Probably it can be added in characters\characters_init.c too; that's where such code was before the Selectable Storylines mod.
In that case it doesn't need to be done for each storyline.
That Beckett code should go in a quest case in QUESTS\quests_common.c; won't work from the dialog.

Back