• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some thoughs about testing

ANSEL

Corsair
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
With all these continuous fixes and updates it could be hard to be sure about,
whether it the same update, we are testing. Also is it the same if I test in arcade mode
or in direct sail mode? and so on. So do we have to define witch mode and update, we are
testing? Maybe some guidelines for testers could be useful?

Last edited:
I don't particularly want to force people to play the game in ways they normally wouldn't want to.
The most important from me is that there are saves and log files wherever possible.
And if relevant, I may ask about how the game was played and the applicable settings.
More details are almost always a good thing as anything might be the clue to track down the culprits.

Some bugs are easy to fix and some decidedly less so.
Unfortunately over the past week or so, we managed to uncover a few nasty mysteries.
Levis won't have time to look at then until next week and I myself tend to feel like a zombie in the evenings which doesn't help either.

If we can't sort it out in a few days though, I'll be severely tempted to take my Beta 3.3 base game and only put in there what I understand and that should work/almost work.
I want something playable, dammit! :whipa

I don't do testing - I can see a crash if it happens but otherwise don't really know what to look for, and I don't like trying to play an unstable game as a guinea pig. However I generally do lurk and read much of what is happening (it currently sounds more alpha than beta). Most current problems seem to have been incorporated by recent changes so its probably best for the person(s) making the change to deal with it.

However if it would be helpful (in terms of workload) to point me at a specific please feel free to do so - I might say no if I can't understand it.

Otherwise it makes sense for me not to interfere and I will be off and happy trying to develop my own modifications/additions for the future build.

I like testing and installing very much. Haven't played the game for real all this year,
only testing:wp

I honestly have not got the faintest clue what has been going on these past two weeks.
Until quite recently, we were making very good progress, getting many features improved and bugs fixed.
But this past week is completely ridiculous to the point that I don't even know where to begin looking for the fixes needed.

The biggest code changes I made have been quite localized rewrites that I doubt should have such far-ranging effects.
The only other option would be the large rewrites that @Levis has done.
Unfortunately he won't be able to look at anything until next week and even then it may be tough to track it down.

In the meantime, my day job is quite mentally taxing because it is pretty much doing what I do for PotC as well.
So I have little enthusiasm left at the end of the day to fix more crazy bugs when all I want to do is to finish my features and finally play the bloody game!
Hoping to finally get things sorted out, I know I've been spending too much time and energy on PotC for quite a while now and it is exhausting.

Rather than trying to fix the ever-increasing list of symptoms, perhaps it will be best if I return back to the Beta 3.3 state this weekend.
Then I'll move everything over that I think should be OK and then we'll take it one step at a time.
This whole ordeal is making me positively SICK and I want it to be over and dealt with yesterday! :boom:

Rather than trying to fix the ever-increasing list of symptoms, perhaps it will be best if I return back to the Beta 3.3 state this weekend.
Then I'll move everything over that I think should be OK and then we'll take it one step at a time.
It sounds as very good idea, very good indeed:yes

Does anyone remember approximately when was the last recent update that you could play without these scary worldmap sea encounter CTDs?

I have the feeling that is quite a recent thing from the past two weeks or so.
Which means that perhaps I could start with the Beta 4 base itself and revert some code to that state tonight.
That may be a fair bit quicker because I don't think the Beta 3.5 WIP was having those particular issues.

I went back to the 17-10- 15 update yesterday , for now its working fairly well,
crews are armed again. I am looking further in to it to night.

The latest EXE without additional zip, you mean?
I'll be curious if that one starts breaking down too.

In the meantime, I'm now working on creating a clean Beta 4 install (12 Aug 2015 version).
Then I'll use that to throw out all performance-improving changes to initialization code.
Hopefully that will help.

Back