• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Somthing Else to work on?

FireBat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
During the process of writing up the 2 pages for the books mod (Also known as the Complete Sailors Guide To Privateering) I stopped at cannons, and thought, "Why, when we hier officers do the cannoneers call themselves cannoneers? Wouldnt they be master gunners? Don't cannoneers just fire the cannonns?" so I looked it up.

Cannoneer :"Cannoneer" is a word for an artillery gunner, first recorded in the 16th century. Current titles for a Soldier in the 13B career field within the US Army is "Cannon Crewmember", but more commonly referred to by the shorter "Cannoneer". An artillery Private is known as a Kanonier in German and Polish, a Kanonnier in Dutch, and a Канонир in Russian; today these would likely be rendered in English as "Gunner.

Master Gunner: The Master Gunner was responsible for the ship's guns and ammunition. This included sifting the powder to keep it dry, prevent it from separating, insuring the cannons and ordnance were kept free of rust, and that all weapons were kept in good repair. A knowledgeable Gunner was essential to the crew's safety and effective use of their weapons.

I think all this would take on my part would be just to find each instance of the word Cannoneer and change it to Master Gunner, much in the same way that the change was made for piaster to Pieces of Eight.

Let me know if I am being too nit-picky

I agree mate, I think it would be more appropriate to refer to the officer as a Master Gunner. I have no idea what all you would have to change though. :shrug

I agree mate, I think it would be more appropriate to refer to the officer as a Master Gunner. I have no idea what all you would have to change though. :shrug

I think it would just be a matter of finding the word 'cannoneer' in texts and changing it.

I dont know if it is that easy... there would be places where it is required and others if you change it may cause problems to actual game

Also files would need to be changed in both PROGRAM and RESOURCE/INI

I could be wrong though ;)

Start with changing only the name itself in probably common.ini and see if that is enough.

Example from the PotC version of common.ini:
Code:
string = cannoneer,"Gunner"

yup...all done. However with the word being so long...this happens :
2rh0k5c.jpg

As you can see it kinda leaves its nice red boarder...but otherwise,,,makes more sense..
Its kinda weird tho, cause in that file they have Cannoner = Cannoneer
and Cannoners = Cannoneers...odd

Why don't you change the name to what we've got in PotC: Just "Gunner".
That'd be short enough. And can't you have multiple of them?
If so, it wouldn't make sense for all of them to be Master anyway. :shrug

Well, u see, then we would have a Gunner, and then Cannoneers.
Chief Gunner maybe 1st Gunner...erg

(FB EDIT: yup Chief Gunner fits...My concern was mainly with the character screen...and its all in one line now...)

How about changing the ability "Pro Cannoneer" to "Master Gunner"?

I had thought of that..but then it slipped my mind whilst starting on something else...man, I gotta write this stuff down

Thanks for the reminder

Anytime mate, that one has always annoyed me. :facepalm

I changed up a dialog file as well. This will be released in combination with the Books Mod.

Awesome! :onya The Books Mod is going to add quite a bit to the game I think, you are Da Man FB! :dance

well, i have plenty of help to make it this far. As a matter of fact i don't think i have made one mod yet completly on my own...

Maybe the loot mod will be it...xD:

Don't get me wrong though I love the help :))

Sweet. Can you upload the files you've changed here to the ftp so I have an idea what you've done and can merge them with my files?

Sweet. I'll merge those with the CSGtP files and reupload the whole shabang sometime this afternoon.

Back