• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sorry if its the wrong place...

Lord Smoggy

Landlubber
Hi, newbie here, I've recently installed this game after discovering it (was a huge fan of sea dogs back in the day), so was naturally excited to play it, only issue is, I can not get it to run. I've exhausted through multiple threads on here that troubleshooted problems but no avail for me.

Whenever I launch the game, it says 'Initializing Direct x 9' , then next line it gives me 'InitDevice::Create Device', and then finally fails by saying 'Internal Driver Error', then the pop up 'ENGINE has stopped working' lands the final nail in the coffin.

I'm pulling my hair out here, I have attempted installing TAGE drivers (problem persisted), even attempted swiftshader, which got me to a blank screen at least. And compatibility modes the lot. Even installed the NO-disk crack that was suggested in another post.

My specs are Windows 7, Graphics - GTX 750ti, CPU - Intel 4670k.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:ahoy

Where did you install it to? Windoze will not let it run in Program files or the desktop.

Hi! Thanks for the reply, I installed it to the C drive, not too the program files, I noticed that while sweeping through these forums in search of answers :) Should of mentioned that in the first post :D

Worth a shot, but could it have possibly something to do with my Engine ini? I havent modified it in any way though.

Also seen it doesn't play nice with intel graphics, but I have ruled that out as I have an Nvidia graphics card, my cpu may be intel but my intergrated graphics never come into play, as my graphics card is set as my primary display device. But then again it is a possibilty that some how that may be effecting it? Arrrhh, im so confused, I just want to plunder and drink ale :modding :fiddle

Last edited:
:shrug With the proper Tages drivers and the nodvd patch it just works for me. Is your dvd in good condition? You might have a corrupt install.

:shrug With the proper Tages drivers and the nodvd patch it just works for me. Is your dvd in good condition? You might have a corrupt install.

Unfortunately, I have reinstalled already, looks like it may be a lost cause for me. Hopefully the next game may not be the same and work for me ;)

@Lord Smoggy, just out of curiosity, do you have DirectX 9 installed? Also, do you have any Codec packs installed? There are a couple of nasty Codecs out there that can really cause issues.

It's been a while, but if recall correctly, CoAS handled Intel graphics a lot better than previous Storm engine games. Though it did still have problems on some systems.

Another possible reason could be your graphics card and or driver. The game is very sensitive. Some years ago i had problems to play the game on Win7 with a EVGA - NVIDIA - Geforce GTX 275 SSC but on Vista it ran fine. Then i used a ASUS - MATRIX 5870 PLATINUM and had no more problems on Win7. At the moment i use a EVGA - NVIDIA - Geforce GTX 960 SSC and have the best performance ever on Win7 with this game. It´s not easy to find the right recipe for AoP2. You have to try a lot variations till it works for you ;)

Last edited:
@Lord Smoggy, just out of curiosity, do you have DirectX 9 installed? Also, do you have any Codec packs installed? There are a couple of nasty Codecs out there that can really cause issues.

It's been a while, but if recall correctly, CoAS handled Intel graphics a lot better than previous Storm engine games. Though it did still have problems on some systems.

Codecs? I have quite a lot of codecs, most of them Microsoft, but I have a couple of third party codecs, but they are safe? I think I know what you are getting at here, I'll deactivate a few and see if it makes a difference :) And yes I have Direct X 9 installed :D

EDIT: Codecs are not the problem it seems :( just waiting my on latest driver update to download and pray for a miracle.

Last edited:
Another possible reason could be your graphics card and or driver. The game is very sensitive. Some years ago i had problems to play the game on Win7 with a EVGA - NVIDIA - Geforce GTX 275 SSC but on Vista it ran fine. Then i used a ASUS - MATRIX 5870 PLATINUM and had no more problems on Win7. At the moment i use a EVGA - NVIDIA - Geforce GTX 960 SSC and have the best performance ever on Win7 with this game. It´s not easy to find the right recipe for AoP2. You have to try a lot variations till it works for you ;)

Also going to give my drivers a quick update too on my Graphics card, just realised my Gforce experience is uninstalled so I havent been recieving updates.

Update: Negative, driver update did nothing for me, it would seem this game and me were never meant to be :fiddle

Last edited:
Ok, I found the soultion, turns out all I needed to do was disable full screen in the config.exe. Has to be one of the most peculiar solutions I have ever encountered. But at'las I can get to plundering!

The games max resolution for full screen normaly is 1600 x 1200 but in the engine.ini you can try to force other resolutions just the correct aspect ratio is not easy to get after :)

I set the full screen resolution to 1920 X 1080 and it runs fine. Maybe it crashes because it is not your monitor's native resolution.

start 2015-07-08 11-30-23-60.jpg

I set the full screen resolution to 1920 X 1080 and it runs fine. Maybe it crashes because it is not your monitor's native resolution.

View attachment 25608

Never thought about that tbh, but at the same time my monitor died last month, I've just been using my TV ever since.

Edit: Well I'll be a monkeys uncle :monkeydance. Set my resolution to 1920 x 1080 within the Engine ini file and it works like a charm, as long as windowed mode is checked in the config file it runs smoothly, and thanks to the engine ini tweak it is full screen regardless of the prior option being ticked. Never encountered anything like this tbh xD I'm happy as no money has been wasted and I get to pirate the New world. Thanks guys! :doff

Last edited:
Awesome, glad you got it working mate, thanks for letting us know the fix. :onya

I do not understand this whole windowed thing. Storm engine games run poorly with it on for me. I'm fighting with some other games where they will only start in windowed mode but run so poorly they are unplayable. So I start the game and then switch it to full screen in the options, and then it plays fine.:bird:

The windowed thing could have had to do with the fact that he is using a TV instead of a monitor at the moment and the video card output that he is using (HDMI or Displayport). Maybe the TV couldn´t upscale the resolution signals from AoP2 in the beginning.

Back