• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sound Effects Designer

Paden James

HoO Team Member
Music and SFX
Provisional
Hello!

I am a professional audio engineer and graduate of the Recording Arts Bachelors of Science program at Full Sail University in Winter Park, Florida. I would like to inform you of my interest in a position as a sound effects designer for this Hearts of Oak title!

Throughout my career, I have gained experience in all facets of audio and recording. My professional experience includes sound editing for AAA interactive titles from Activision and THQ, among others. This mainly includes working in Pro Tools and Sound Forge for cleaning dialog, as well as assisting, editing, and documenting motion capture production dialog. This has given me the opportunity to become proficient in Microsoft Office programs, such as Excel and Word, as well as file management on both Windows and Macintosh operating systems. My educational experience includes recording and editing ADR and foley, designing ambiences, sound effects pulling and documentation, and mixing. I am also Operator-Level certified in Pro Tools 9.

I have a very strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and am constantly striving to learn, meet talented people, and work together as a team to produce amazing work. I'm extremely passionate about interactive audio, and would love the opportunity to work with your team. I have posted the link to my LinkedIn account as well as some sound design samples. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Paden James
padenleejames@gmail.com
linkedin.com/in/padenjames

padenjames.weebly.com/sound-design.html

We'd be glad to have you! Your stuff sounds impressive, and that's one of the positions that is unoccupied at the moment. In case you are not aware, participation is on a volunteer-only basis, since we won't be charging a cent for this game once it's completed.
Note to moderators...I'm not sure if that's prominently stated anywhere.

Great! Yes I am aware that there is no compensation for the project. My goal is to gain experience and add to my portfolio. Look forward to working with you!

Now this is impressive! I can not remember the last time I played a game with sound that did not stutter and break up. It sounds like you could be a big asset.

Excellent! I'd recommend taking a look at this thread, which I use to post reference videos from my sails on Pilgrim. The sound quality isn't great, but it gives you an idea what some of the stuff sounds like. If you want something specific, feel free to ask. I have some videos that haven't been uploaded, and I may be able to reproduce certain sounds in port. We sail for two weeks every year, and we'll be holding sail training sessions for the new crew members starting in late July. That will be a good opportunity for new reference material, and I'll inform everyone before I leave.

Oh... and the next moderator who sees this will probably make you a modder so you can post in the WIP section.

Welcome to the Modding Team! It's great to have you here! :woot

Of course the Hearts of Oak project has only just been started on and we're still trying to work out how to get it under-way properly.
As such, we don't have many people working on it at the moment and progress is dead slow.
Next week, I'm intending to make a public profile for our game and we can then start attracting more of the people we need.
Hopefully then we can get this show on the road for real! :dance

Pieter Boelen: Some posts here moved to http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/game-promotion-laying-the-foundation.19645/ . Discussion on our future public profile continues there.

Post Captain: Uploading the images will serve two purposes: the beefing profile and illustrating my parts of the ship thread. It's going to have to happen regardless, so I might as well do it over the weekend.
Besides, without some sort of deadline, it would take me months to upload the ten illustrations. :cheeky

Ahoy Paden James, welcome aboard mate!

Your skills are definitely needed, good sound can make or break a game. I have some links that you might be interested in, I'll look them up and send you a PM.

I'd like to add that if you're wondering what anything on board a ship sounds like, including commands, you can just ask me. I'm crew on a replica hide brig, and I have the resources of myself and several other crew members available to me. If I can't take a recording, I'll try to describe it as best I can.

Back