• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sound Engineer Application

Joe Gibbins

HoO Team Member
Music and SFX
Provisional
Hello,

My name is Joe Gibbins, I am currently studying Audio Engineering and Production at University, I know you already have one sound engineer but i am wondering if I can join to gain experience in the company.

Add me on Skype Jgibbins2 if you have any vacancies

Many Thanks,

Joe

Ahoy there! What do you mean exactly with "sound engineer"?
While we have some people working on music, we have nobody doing work on sound effects.
We could certainly use those to make our test versions more lively.

@Flannery and @Captain Murphy: Any thoughts?

Ahoy mate, welcome aboard!

Just to be clear, we are not a game company, nor are we affiliated with one, this is an all volunteer project. We are a group of modders from around the world who are volunteering our time and efforts to produce a game that we feel the game companies should have made a long time ago.

Hey there!

Yes - what @Thagarr here is saying is very important to know ;-)

This sounds interesting indeed :)
Regarding music:
Maybe you could link us a few samples of some of your work?

If you have something suitable for the genre? Pirate'ish, folk'ish, medieval'ish or classical'ish music would be preferable, but if not - just something you would like to present us ;-)

Sound FX:
This is also very interesting!
I can do such work as well, but have little time (or interest in it), so help in this department is EXTREMELY welcomed :-D

What kind of system are you working on?

I understand that its voluntary, Im in it because I enjoy what I do and i need the experience :) I am currently working on Pro Tools 10 Rig (hopefully 11 soon) and I have various plugins but working with NI Komplete 9, Also Where would you like me to send samples?

Would be nice to have a protools man aboard as well ;-)

Although I have had my few experiences with Protools, I have mostly worked with Logic and a little with Cubase 7.5 (which I am currently working on from my home studio)

You can link/send me samples of your work in a PM here if you like.
If you do not prefer to do it that way, I can send you my Dropbox address in a PM ;-)

E-mail adress sent to you in a PM :)

Looking forward to hear your stuff, matey! :)

@Pieter Boelen
Joe has sent me 3 samples to listen to, and they were more than good enough for my taste :)
I first of all would like for him to take on sound FX needed for HoO - But if he wants to compose music as well, I will look forward to have a hear-through of it ;)

Will you get him aboard?

Welcome @Joe Gibbins ;) :pirates:bounce:dance:aar:ship

And yes... what Pieter says...hehehe.

Well, bugger. I had a post all typed out and something crashed and lost it. :confused:

Anyhow, the gist of the post was that we could use some sound effects done first. We have some systems all ready for sounds such as the cannons. If we can iron out the sounds for that to give them a nice loud report close then a low rumble further out. Other items would be some ambient water noise near ships (hull wave lapping) and some 'one shot' sounds like a bow splashing down into a wave. Rain noise, wind noise, etc it also good.

@Captain Murphy: If you use "More Options..." when posting a reply, you can save and reload drafts, which would help with longer posts. ;)

I seem to remember the forum also saves your drafts without using More Options.
But it only does so sometimes. As in.... generally not when you would have needed it. Or something. :confused:

Back