• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Sound issues... Again

aluc24

Landlubber
Ahoy,

I'm new to Age of Pirates 2. I played Sid Meir's Pirates! before, and liked it a lot. Before Hearts of Oak is out, I decided to try AoP2 with Gentlemen of Fortune 2.14 mod.

I'm running it on Lenovo Z500 laptop, Windows 10 64bit. No dedicated sound card.

The issue I'm having is that sound (or, music, I suspect) in game is crackling, sounds a bit like horse galloping (sorry for landluber's analogy). Sometimes it is louder, sometimes barely noticeable. I have tried re-installing my sound drivers, as well as running AoP2 in Safe mode, to no avail.

The UseMM in engine.ini is set to 0, as a lot of people in this forum suggested this setting will fix audio problems. Just in case, I tried setting it to 1, but then the sound is heavily distorted. So, even with UseMM = 0, I get that annoying sound crackling.

I saw some people complaining about this too, but didn't find a definitive solution. Could someone please help out a fellow pirate?

There really isn't a good solution because the sound system simply isn't very good. The more ships there are the worse it gets. :shrug

But what causes it in the first place? Surely the game didn't behave like this when it was released. I get these sound issues even when sailing in the middle of the sea with no other ships or land nearby.

It's been 6 months since I last played this game but my alleged memory says the only time it had sound problems was when there were a lot of ships around in a battle.

Have you tried the other mods like GOF2 or GOF2.5? For me GOF2.5 has issues while GOF2 is smooth with good sound.

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm running GOF 2.15. I have tried GOF 1.2 before, it had the same issue.

I had a similar problem with vanilla and made a minor change in the engine.ini file - i never had problems with that change again.

The block you are looking for is this:

[sound]
sound path = resource\sounds\
UseMM = 0

In the original file this setting is on ON =1 - i changed it to OFF= zero and that worked like a charme for me on Win 10.

Even if you did that change - it might have saved that old setting somewhere else if that isnt changing it for you. There is an options file (without file ending). Your problem might be in that file.

Thanks, you jogged my alleged memory. I just checked and mine is set to 0 also. I seem to remember that it does not work for everybody, as it works in one install but not the other install.

You could try using the config.exe and set it to 'Safe mode' - cant recall which switch in the ini that is actually. Since you mention 'for some and not others' - it might help to install the realtek hd audio manager if you dont have it yet. Afaik it seems to solve quite a few sound issues in various programmes as it uses different ways to communicate with the hardware than just the standard windows sound manager.

I am pasting my current ini in here for comparison:

modules path = modules\
full_screen = 0
PostProcess = 0
screen_x = 1920
screen_y = 1080
lockable_back_buffer = 0
screen_bpp = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8
texture_degradation = 0
controls = pcs_controls
;for game utils
;controls = pc_controls