• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sourceforge

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
For many years, I have relied on the fantastic Indy coders who have posted their work on Sourceforge, it has been invaluable to me! I have recommended many programs on these forums over the years that got their start there. For many years, it built it's reputation as a place where you could find good programs free of adware and spyware and a lot of other nasty things that seem to breed like roaches on the internet. Sadly, the greedy corporate mentality has finally taken hold there as well. It has now been added to my list of sites to never download anything from ever again. Here is a quote from an article posted yesterday on Ars Technica :

SourceForge, the code repository site owned by Slashdot Media, has apparently seized control of the account hosting GIMP for Windows on the service, according to e-mails and discussions amongst members of the GIMP community—locking out GIMP's lead Windows developer. And now anyone downloading the Windows version of the open source image editing tool from SourceForge gets the software wrapped in an installer replete with advertisements.

You can read the full article HERE!

They might have done the same with VLC. When I downloaded that, I really had to pay attention to NOT install all sorts of random crap along with it.

Ran into the crap filled installer when i wanted to install VLC on my other computer but i just stopped it and went for an old VLC installer i had in storage i don't trust them.

Yeah, the installers have been steadily getting worse, absolutely pathetic. What really got my attention though is the fat that not only did they hijack one of the biggest pieces of open source software out there in GIMP, they also locked the developer out of his own project! Apparently having no qualms at all about profiting from someone else’s work or destroying their own community in the process. I fully understand the need to pay for servers and make a profit, but hijacking open source software is suicide.

I haven't used SourceForge in ages, reminds me I gotta look up all the old free indie games I used to play off there and see if any of them have downloads up elsewhere. Scorched3D comes to mind, but last I heard the developer had abandoned it. :(

Back