• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Spanish officer stays after death

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
In the Jean de LaCroix free play game after you break out of jail the first person you meet is this Spanish officer.
POTC 9-2-2017_2017_11_19_00_52_13_511.jpg
After you kill him you can continue the story. But when you come back to Havana later, there he is. You can not speak or interact with him. I have not tried killing him again to see if he comes back or not.

I finally had a look at this. This character ("SpainCommander") does indeed stay in Havana. Also, the officer you meet right at the start ("Enrique Padilla") remains on Punta de Maisi beach. The attached file should make them both disappear, as well as making the scene in the port more reliable. When I tried it, the guards on the dock didn't show up and "compile.log" indicated this was because there were too many characters already there. A "vcskip" takes care of that, and is cancelled when you go to sea so that normal random characters can appear in Havana port again.

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    41.5 KB · Views: 225
Following on from this, it occurred to me that there are several words and phrases in French throughout the various dialogs in this mini-story because it was originally written for Jean de la Croix, and it might be nice to have them in different languages for different player character nationalities.

It turns out @DeathDaisy had the same idea:
Need Help - Dialogue Gender Overhaul
Either I didn't notice the file "Nation Agnostic RogueGambler Start.rar" and didn't include it in any updates, but some files found their way in anyway; or I did include it but some of it was overwritten. At least one "dialog.c" file had code from here, but there was no corresponding placeholder in its "dialog.h" file. But I've found it now...

Some extra work needed to be done. In particular, it didn't account for America, or for that matter Sweden, which might not have been added at that time. So I've been overhauling it, adding entries for "GUEST1_NATION" and then splitting them depending on period, followed by a lot of testing to check that it works.

In addition, Bart Renault, the jailer who happens to be the same nationality as you, has his nation and name changed so that he is in fact the same nationality as you if you're not French. And for good measure, the Spanish soldiers you encounter before, during, and possibly after the prison scene, now use period-correct models instead of always using the Spanish Main uniforms.

The whole lot is going into the next update. Or you can try this...

Attachments

• PROGRAM.zip
    44.4 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Due to a typo in one file, I had to re-upload that zip file. If you've already downloaded it, please download it again. As well as fixing the error, this version has a slight tweak which you might notice if you play a female Rogue...

When playing this quest, I "died" in Havana. In this case, sometimes, you're reloaded in the tavern room. The problem is despite dying in Havana, I was reloaded in the tavern room of Santiago :D
@Grey Roger, could you check that?

When playing this quest, I "died" in Havana. In this case, sometimes, you're reloaded in the tavern room. The problem is despite dying in Havana, I was reloaded in the tavern room of Santiago :D
@Grey Roger, could you check that?
If I recall, when you die and are resurrected, you are reloaded to a place on the same island, but not necessary the same town.
I think it is just one specific tavern per island.

If I recall, when you die and are resurrected, you are reloaded to a place on the same island, but not necessary the same town.
I think it is just one specific tavern per island.
Well, when you play a quest, it isn't really great :D
But, alright. The player can reload a savegame anyway:)

Easily enough countered. At case "embora" (start of quest), add this:
Code:
PChar.quest.disable_rebirth = true;
At case "believedus" and case "captured_smuggler_ship2", add this:
Code:
PChar.quest.disable_rebirth = false;
Now, if you die, you won't resurrect in Santiago. Or anywhere. At least, not until after you've completed the quest by taking one or other of the ships. :ko

Another point, the church at Havana is closed at night. This couldn't be a problem seeing the player must hide into?
I also noted in case "vientsoldado":
The soldiers are not adapted to the different periods like:
Code:
sld = LAi_CreateFantomCharacter(false, 0, true, true, 0.25, "Soldier_spa3_16", "reload", "reload2_back");
they should use this thing instead:
Nations[SPAIN].fantomModel.m............

The main door of Havana church is closed at night. You'll have to find another way in...

As for "vientsoldado", which version of "quests_reaction.c" are you using? The one in the zip file attached to post #4 should indeed have the soldiers use 'Nations[SPAIN].fantomModel.m*'.

Well, when you play a quest, it isn't really great :D
But, alright. The player can reload a savegame anyway:)
Indeed I can inside imagine it's not ideal.
I can also not remember if I'm actually right on this.
It's been too long since I've had the chance to browse around the game code.

Next problem: if you choose to not pay the jailer and to let your crew rescue you, you go to the church. You and your crew change into the priest outfit. When you steal the ship, you revert to your original outfit. Your crew do not. If you then go on to the Sinking the Vogelstruijs sidequest, you go to Kralendijk, visit the smuggler's house, return to Port au Prince and talk to Contre-Amiral Beauregard, and then one of your crew talks to you - still dressed as a priest.

The attached version of "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\quests\quests_reaction.c" includes a fix for this, as well as the lines to disable and re-enable resurrection.

Incidentally, it's occurred to me that the Rogue/Gambler start has some similarities to the start of the "Ardent" storyline. You're arrested, put in Havana prison, escape, optionally fight some soldiers outside the prison, have a walk in the jungle, then steal a ship from Havana port. Even one of the dialog lines to the priest shows up in "Ardent", though in different circumstances, specifically the wedding scene near the end - "Forgive me father, for I am about to sin". Believe it or not, I hadn't played the Rogue/Gambler start, nor the "Jean de la Croix" mini-story in earlier versions of the game, before I wrote "Ardent" - all the similarities are pure coincidence!

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    42.5 KB · Views: 199
Next problem: if you choose to not pay the jailer and to let your crew rescue you, you go to the church. You and your crew change into the priest outfit. When you steal the ship, you revert to your original outfit. Your crew do not. If you then go on to the Sinking the Vogelstruijs sidequest, you go to Kralendijk, visit the smuggler's house, return to Port au Prince and talk to Contre-Amiral Beauregard, and then one of your crew talks to you - still dressed as a priest.
:rofl

Incidentally, it's occurred to me that the Rogue/Gambler start has some similarities to the start of the "Ardent" storyline. You're arrested, put in Havana prison, escape, optionally fight some soldiers outside the prison, have a walk in the jungle, then steal a ship from Havana port. Even one of the dialog lines to the priest shows up in "Ardent", though in different circumstances, specifically the wedding scene near the end - "Forgive me father, for I am about to sin". Believe it or not, I hadn't played the Rogue/Gambler start, nor the "Jean de la Croix" mini-story in earlier versions of the game, before I wrote "Ardent" - all the similarities are pure coincidence!
Great Minds, eh? ;)

I never noticed my crew dressed as priests after we steal that ship. The priest remains dressed as a priest tho. I always sell that ship at the first port, so maybe they revert to normal then.

They're not your crew as such, either the boarders or the random crew you see on deck. They're specific characters used in the Rogue/Gambler start and do not show up again in routine gameplay, though one of them is used again in the "Sinking the Vogelstruijs" sidequest. He's the one I noticed when I was playing the quest, which is why I added the code to put all the characters in question back to their original sailor outfits.

Padre Gerardo becomes an officer and can be assigned your choice of outfit as usual.

Back