• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Spanish translation

I was doing another grammar tweak to the word order in DailyCrewUpdate.c but instead of replacing the original phrase with the correct variant, it just displays both

Sin título.jpg

This is what I've done
Code:
        if (morale <= 10) KAM_Mutiny(); //MAXIMUS: new "Mutiny"
        if(LogsToggle > LOG_QUIET) Log_SetStringToLog(TranslateString("","The crew now has") + " " + XI_ConvertString(GetMoraleName(morale)) + " " + XI_ConvertString("morale") + " (" + makeint(morale) + ").");
        switch (LanguageGetLanguage()) {
                case "Spanish":
                    if(LogsToggle > LOG_QUIET) Log_SetStringToLog(TranslateString("","The crew now has") + " " + XI_ConvertString("morale") + " " + XI_ConvertString(GetMoraleName(morale)) + " (" + makeint(morale) + ").");

break;
                    // default:
            }
What have I done wrong?

Move this into the switch below the "default":
if(LogsToggle > LOG_QUIET) Log_SetStringToLog(TranslateString("","The crew now has") + " " + XI_ConvertString(GetMoraleName(morale)) + " " + XI_ConvertString("morale") + " (" + makeint(morale) + ").");

I went back over some ship names and found something that I had missed before. The ships called Spanish Galleon in Arcade mode are called Manila Gallleon in Realistic mode
string = Galeon1,"Spanish Galleon"
string = Galeon1_real,"Manila Galleon"
string = Galeon1L,"Spanish Light Galleon"
string = Galeon1L_real,"Light Manila Galleon"
string = Galeon1R,"Spanish Royal Galleon"
string = Galeon1R_real,"Royal Manila Galleon"
But Manila galleons, as the name indicates, were the ships assigned to the route accross the Pacific between Manila on the Philippines and Acapulco on the west coast of Mexico. And it's usually refered to as THE Manila galleon, because there was only one or two doing the trip once or twice a year. It would be incongruous to have multiple Manila Galleons sailing the Caribbean, so in this case the "Arcade" name of Spanish Galleon would be better than the "Realistic" name. An alternative could be Indies Galleon or West Indies Galleon, as the "Flota de Indias" was the Atlantic equivalent of the Manila Galleon, and there was an entire fleet of them.

EDIT. The Royal Manila Galleon also seems to have the wrong number and placement of cannons. It has 40 guns, 20 on each side without bow or stern guns, but the model clearly shows 38 guns: 16 per side, with 2 bow and 4 stern guns.

I must reiterate that I'm using the old july 2106 version and this may not be true anymore, that's why I post it here and not as a bug report or current issue.

Last edited:
But Manila galleons, as the name indicates, were the ships assigned to the route accross the Pacific between Manila on the Philippines and Acapulco on the west coast of Mexico. And it's usually refered to as THE Manila galleon, because there was only one or two doing the trip once or twice a year. It would be incongruous to have multiple Manila Galleons sailing the Caribbean, so in this case the "Arcade" name of Spanish Galleon would be better than the "Realistic" name. An alternative could be Indies Galleon or West Indies Galleon, as the "Flota de Indias" was the Atlantic equivalent of the Manila Galleon, and there was an entire fleet of them.
That was @Snow White Sorrow's idea, if I recall. Can you look it up in the "Ship Recognition" PDF in the "Documentation" folder? I think there is some mention of it there.

I must reiterate that I'm using the old july 2106 version and this may not be true anymore, that's why I post it here and not as a bug report or current issue.
It is still the same. :yes

@Grey Roger, any thoughts...?

Calling those ships "Spanish Galleon" of any sort is also a bit odd. It's not just Spain who uses them...

Calling those ships "Spanish Galleon" of any sort is also a bit odd. It's not just Spain who uses them...
Aren't they pretty much a Spanish design?

If I recall, isn't it a retexture of the stock game galleon by @Petros? He was Spanish himself and did intend that ship to be used for Spain.
And isn't it the one used for the Spanish WorldMap ship? Or am I mixing up my ships? I don't have my game handy, so cannot check.

That was @Snow White Sorrow's idea, if I recall. Can you look it up in the "Ship Recognition" PDF in the "Documentation" folder? I think there is some mention of it there.
The PDF justifies the Manila galleon name with the huge cargo capacity of the ship (around 10.000), rightfully pointing out that Manila Galleons were usually the biggest galleons around, reaching up to 2000 tons of displacement (that's why there were only one of two of them in each trip), and Atlantic galleons were rarely even close to that size. But still the name Manila Galleon has a very specific historical and geographical context that doesn't fit the mod, so I'd still go with Indies Galleon, which also serves to illustrate them as an Spanish-dseigned counterpart to the English-designed Indiaman.

The PDF justifies the Manila galleon name with the huge cargo capacity of the ship (around 10.000), rightfully pointing out that Manila Galleons were usually the biggest galleons around, reaching up to 2000 tons of displacement (that's why there were only one of two of them in each trip), and Atlantic galleons were rarely even close to that size. But still the name Manila Galleon has a very specific historical and geographical context that doesn't fit the mod, so I'd still go with Indies Galleon, which also serves to illustrate them as an Spanish-dseigned counterpart to the English-designed Indiaman.
Works for me! :onya

@Grey Roger, are you OK with that too?

No objection here. A rose by any other name would smell the same, and a Manila galleon by any other name is still going to get plundered if I catch it. :rpirate

Is PiratBattleGalleon a quest-only ship or a generic pirate ship aswell? I assume it's specific of Bartolomeu's storyline because it has both Portuguese and pirate markings but I could be wrong. In any case, the thing is that, for some reason, despite being pirate and Portuguese, and stated so in the ship description, it bears the name "Spanish Heavy War Galleon" (and this is not a case of Arcade vs Realistic, it's the one and only name), which is fundamentally wrong. But I wouldn't know how to replace it. "Portuguese Heavy War Galleon" or "Pirate Heavy War Galleon"? Or something else entirely?

Is PiratBattleGalleon a quest-only ship or a generic pirate ship aswell? I assume it's specific of Bartolomeu's storyline because it has both Portuguese and pirate markings but I could be wrong.
I think you're right, but I'm not certain anymore myself so I sent a message to Bartolomeu to confirm.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues says:

PiratBattleGalleon is a quest pirate ship :)
Quest only ship, i mean :)

"So it's specifically Pirate then, right? And not really Portuguese?"

Yes. But, tomorrow morning i confirm that. I Just want to check that again.

Yes. But, tomorrow morning i confirm that. I Just want to check that again.
It's the new Bartolomeu' ship at the end of the Cartagena quest. It's an improved version of the "San Martin", a Spanish war galleon stolen in the Cartagena port. She was modified at Grenada to be faster and manoeuvrable (That's why the stats are different from "San Martin ").
So, we can consider it now as a pirate ship.

That ship is indeed specific to the "Bartolomeu" storyline. You capture the stock "SP_BattleGalleon", then refit it at the Portuguese colony. The "unique" trait means it does not have the national modifiers applied automatically so the revised stats for "PiratBattleGalleon" are manually adjusted to Portuguese, as well as being a bit less clumsy than the stock version. But you're still Bartolomeu the pirate, so it's now a pirate galleon. Nevertheless, the basic design is still Spanish - apart from a new paint scheme, it's the same physical model as the original Spanish version.

If you really want to change its name, change the line 'refShip.sname = "Galeon2H";' to take a different label, then add an entry for your new label in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\common.ini". But as that ship is specifically designed by @Bartolomeu o Portugues for his storyline, I'd be reluctant to change anything about it without his approval.

If it's quest-only and it's indeed a modified Spanish galleon, there's no need to change it. It would be weird only if a pirate ship with Portuguese markings was to appear randomly in the world as "Spanish", but if that doesn't happen, it's all right.;)

Every once in a while I still stumble upon some untranslated bits in the interface text. Normally I can fix them right away but not this time. It's this bit in perks.c, for the "NON CONTRIBUTING PERKS" line that appears in the officer's perk list. Neither TranslateString nor XI_ConvertString seem to work. I even tried to add a language switch as a last resort, but nothing
Code:
//Show the non_contributing perks
    if(skipped>0 && SHOW_NON_CONTRIB_PERK > 0 && !ShowAssignableOnly)
    {
        SendMessage(&GameInterface,"lsle",MSG_INTERFACE_MSG_TO_NODE,"PERKSWINDOW", 0,"NON CONTRIBUTING PERKS");
        chrPerksQ++;

Any clues?

Back