1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Spanish translation

Discussion in 'Build 15 Brainstorming' started by DiegoEspinoza, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    At
    Goods[sti(NPChar.fetch_quest.good)].name , you mean?
    Are there any INI files that already have the names of the goods in there?
    If so, that is the one that needs to be called.

2. Homo eructus

Homo eructus Freebooter Storm Modder

I tried that but I may have put the brackets in the wrong place. Let me check.

Yep. Damn brackets, they'll be the death of me.
    Thanks

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  3. Homo eructus

Hmm, playtesting the pronouns in Ardent's storyline I came across the Taino chief and his "lastname" isn't translated, when all the other indians are fully translated. The files seem to be 100% right. I wonder if it'll have something to do with the fact that the chief's name is Soaring Hawk, and the game is somehow confusing it with the last name of our own and only Nathaniel Hawk from the standard storyline, who of course doesn't have a translation associated to it. Any thought, @Grey Roger ?

4. Homo eructus

Also, I found an error in the INTERFACE/Shipyard.c file that I uploaded in the multilanguage pack. Some repeated + signs in the log entry for the ship upgrades messed up the upgrade interface. Here it is fixed

Attached Files:

5. DeathDaisy

DeathDaisy Freebooter Storm Modder

Id guess hawk have two entries in character_names.txt then? so the one that comes first is hawk from nathaniel hawk and the translated comes next? idk if thats the case, but if it is maybe soaring hawks last name in ardent/characters/tempquest.c could be turned into an xi_convertstring instead of a translatestring and hawk put into the spanish common.ini. dunno if that would work, but perhaps worth a try?

6. Homo eructus

That shouldn't be the case, as the Ardent storyline has its own character_names.txt separate from the main one, although it may be that the main one overwrites the other somehow if the same name is repeated.

That or directly changing Hawk for a placeholder in tempquest.c (like "Hawk1" or whatever) and then translating that in both the English and Spanish character_names files for Hawk and the corresponding Spanish. From my limited knowledge, I personally prefer this option because it seems to me it would be easier to track down later and recognize why it was done in the first place.

7. DeathDaisy

DeathDaisy Freebooter Storm Modder

righto, that sounds like a better solution :onya future proofing is always good

8. Homo eructus

Another one about the Ardent storyline for @Grey Roger (or whoever can answer;)). When you first meet Two Dogs, he is simply called "Indian Warrior". But that name isn't in the character_names file, and just adding it didn't translate it. The only other instance of "indian Warrior" (in PROGRAM\Storyline\Ardent\characters\init\Story.c) has the TraslateString already added to it. How do I make that work?

9. Homo eructus

Yet another. In the questbook for the "Kidnap" quest, the string for #smerch_kid# is translated no problem in the first entry, but the translation doesn't work for the exact same string a few entries later in the same quest. #sgov_kid# seems to work in all instances so far.
    Sin título.jpg

Sorry I'm bomabarding the thread with these small issues but I post them as I find them, least I forget them.

10. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

"TranslateString" is defined in "PROGRAM\Dialog_func.c". Looking at that, it checks the default "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\character_names.txt" first - and indeed, that contains an entry for "Hawk". So replacing "Hawk" in the character's definition with "Hawk1", and changing Ardent's "character_names.txt" to match, does seem to be the logical solution. It's also something to bear in mind for future reference because some other names also appear in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\character_names.txt" which could cause similar confusion, e.g. "Green" is translated to "Greene".

About "Indian Warrior" - no idea. It certainly should be in Ardent's "character_names.txt", so I'm adding it anyway. Perhaps put some 'trace' statements into "Dialog_func.c" to see what it is doing - presumably it's finding a match somewhere before it gets to the storyline "character_names.txt" and returning an untranslated name too early.

As for "kidnap", the first of those entries comes from "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Pedro Fructoso_dialog.c". The second comes from "PROGRAM\Storyline\Ardent\DIALOGS\Javier Balboa_dialog.c". Check that you have an up to date version of "Javier Balboa_dialog.c" - an earlier version didn't have the pronouns processed by "XI_ConvertString". If you're using that version of the file, "son" won't be translated, and neither will any other pronouns used in dialogs with the governor of Santiago, nor any questbook entries which are set during his dialogs.

Homo eructus likes this.
  11. Homo eructus

It is up to date as far as I can tell, XI_ConvertString is in place.

edit: Just to see what would happen, I added XI_ConvertString to these two lines in quests_reaction.c, that didn't have it and look to me that they ought to (lines 1133 and 1134). It seems to have done the trick. Although I don't know why "gov_kid" worked before despite not having the "XI" either
    Code:
    Preprocessor_AddQuestData("gov_kid", XI_ConvertString(gov_kid));
    Preprocessor_AddQuestData("merch_kid", XI_ConvertString(merch_kid));
    edit2: As for "Indian Warrior", adding it to character_names was indeed enough to make the translation work. I just needed to restart the storyline. Reloading a saved game, even before meeting him, wasn't enough.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM
  12. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

Oops! The entry in the "Kidnap" questbook didn't come from "Javier Balboa_dialog.c" after all, it came from "quests_reaction.c" - and that hasn't had "XI_ConvertString" added to the pronouns. It has now. Try the attached version. You'll need to start a new game, or at least pick a savegame from before the "Kidnap" quest started.

As for "Indian Warrior": good, at least it wasn't something insidious as "Hawk" was!

Attached Files:

13. Homo eructus

Look at my edit in the post above, I just figured it out myself. Only I added it to the next lines ("gov_kid" and "merch_kid" instead of directly "son" and "daughter"), don't lnow if that could cause trouble or what's better but it's two changed lines instead of four, so from an economy standpoint seems sensible to me. What do you prefer?

Edit: Nevermind, in the long run my way has way more changes spread across the file while the way you did it, they're less and more concentrated. I had been adding my changes one by one as I found the issues and didn't notice.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM
  14. Homo eructus

Speaking of which, White Crow was guilty of the same, as "white" got confused with the white in the "Select sails" interface. His definition is set as White1 now.

Pieter Boelen likes this.