1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

WIP Spanish translation

Discussion in 'Build Beta and Brainstorming' started by DiegoEspinoza, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Homo eructus

Homo eructus Freebooter Storm Modder

Yep, looks like that was the problem. Thanks!

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  2. Homo eructus

I think I found the answer in Loginterface.c. There's a XI_ConvertString that wasn't there before
    Code:
    sDateTimeDisplay = XI_ConvertString(GetDayName(GetWeekday(iday, imonth, iyear))) + ", " + GetHumanDate(iyear, imonth, iday);
    Mistery solved

EDIT: wait, maybe it was there in the first place, only I removed it to add it to each day in the calendar.c file instead for some reason. Mistery sort of solved anyway.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. Homo eructus

Ok, I remember why I did it. The weekdays in the shiplog entries weren't translated. That's why I cut the translation string from the DateTimeDisplay and added it directly to each day in calendar.c. I think that's easier than adding the string to every entry that makes use of the weekdays, so I'll do that again.

Mistery definitely solved then.

4. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Brilliant! I approve of a "one size fits all" solution. :onya

5. Homo eructus

More fun with switches

I added this one to change the order of words when the ransack screen displays an enemy as "Dead captain". I used the same structure as for the morale logs, and I remember it took some fiddling wirh but in the end it worked. Copying it now to the new version, the order still remains the same as in English
    Code:
                case "corpse":
                                    switch (LanguageGetLanguage()) {
                                    case "Spanish":
                                        curEnemyName = XI_ConvertString("s"+"captain") + " " + XI_ConvertString("Dead");

break;
                                        // default:
                        curEnemyName = XI_ConvertString("Dead") + " " + XI_ConvertString("s"+"captain");
                            }
    This one has the } at the end and everything. So what would you say is wrong now?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    DeathDaisy likes this.
  6. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

A switch inside another switch, right?
    The indentation looks a bit confusing, but that has no impact.
    Other it seems OK at first glance.

7. Homo eructus

Yeah, I realized I was looking at the main ramsack interface in the game and that file is for the cannon transfer interface. It does work, I just was looking at the wrong place:oops:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    DeathDaisy and Pieter Boelen like this.
  8. Homo eructus

How do I make so the corresponding good you need for the fetch quests is translated in the quest book?
    I've been able to translate de type of each character (blacksmith, tailor...) with a regular XI_ConvertString but I don't know what to do for the goods
    Code:
    //Questbook
                Preprocessor_AddQuestData("town",ctown.name);
                Preprocessor_AddQuestData("type",XI_ConvertString("blacksmith"));
                Preprocessor_AddQuestData("amount",sti(NPChar.fetch_quest.amount));
                Preprocessor_AddQuestData("good",Goods[sti(NPChar.fetch_quest.good)].name);
                Preprocessor_AddQuestData("money",sti(NPChar.fetch_quest.money));
                Preprocessor_AddQuestData("date",NPChar.fetch_quest.expire);
    When I've done this, I'll be almost ready to upload all the files that I've modified to add translation strings and provide a hopefully finished multilanguage framwork for the whole mod. The translated files themselves will take "a bit" longer.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  9. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

Names of goods can presumably also be handled by "XI_ConvertString". For example, in "PROGRAM\INTERFACE\store.c", function RefreshAllStrings():
    Code:
    GameInterface.strings.GoodsName = XI_ConvertString(Goods[GetGoodsIndexForI(nCurScrollNum)].Name);
    Goods names are certainly in "common.ini".

10. Pieter Boelen

At
    Goods[sti(NPChar.fetch_quest.good)].name , you mean?
    Are there any INI files that already have the names of the goods in there?
    If so, that is the one that needs to be called.

11. Homo eructus

I tried that but I may have put the brackets in the wrong place. Let me check.

Yep. Damn brackets, they'll be the death of me.
    Thanks

12. Homo eructus

Finally, it's here!

No, not the Spanish translation but the framework to make it work, and to eventually make it easier for other translations to be implemented. This should be essentially the unfinished multilanguage support for the mod now finished, mostly I hope. There may be more translatable instances that have flown under my radar, particularly in dialog files, that I have barely touched (only the LogIt strings and a few other things I've found)

I've updated interface_strings.txt with I think over 700 lines of text that I've been hunting down across the files, I've added probably thousands of translation strings and a few Spanish-only switches for parts where the English grammar and word order doesn't fit the translation (big thanks to @Pieter Boelen , @Grey Roger and all the folks that have been dealing with my ineptitude in the translation thread:bow). There are some unorthodox solutions and workarounds to some issues but nothing that should affect the main English version of the mod. Other things may be horribly wrong because I still don't really know very well what I'm doing when program files are concerned, but everythings seems to work fine on my end without causing errors.

I've also included my updated ShipModels_descriptions.txt with an attempt to make the descriptions more standarized and informative. I'd appreciate your opinons on that. Also in the zip is an updated ships_mames.c with revised Spanish names. I haven't included my previous revised character names because @Grey Roger had made some further edits to it so my own version is already outdated. Both the ship and character names will also need to be merged with @DeathDaisy 's Swedish names.

Attached Files:

Pieter Boelen and DeathDaisy like this.
  13. DeathDaisy

DeathDaisy Freebooter Storm Modder

supernice work! xD a herculean effort :whipa

I merged my ship_names.c with yours and updated my rars in the swedish names thread :cheers

14. Pieter Boelen

15. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

If you don't mind, I'll hold off adding this until the next, next update archive. I want to release the next one this week as there is already a lot of stuff waiting to be incorporated into a general release, and that translation framework involves a lot of changed files which will mean it will need a good deal of testing to make sure it doesn't break any existing gameplay. Also, some work is needed - a quick check with WinMerge shows, for example, that rank names are being translated, which they should not be as they're already in the native language of the nation which owns the ranks. It doesn't matter if you as a player speak English, Spanish or anything else; if your character has a Dutch LoM and has just been promoted to rank 7, then your rank name is "Kapitein ter Zee" because that's what Holland calls it.

Ship and character names, on the other hand, are safe enough, so they're going into this week's release.

16. Homo eructus

The ranks are "translated" because they were already in the commons.ini file, I didn't add them. The translation given is not a translation, but the exact same text, so it shouldn't change anything (except some of the Spanish and Portuguese ranks that I changed to be more accurate, and the Pirate ranks because they're not as much ranks as expressions of your piratical fame and thus should be translated).

DeathDaisy and Pieter Boelen like this.
  17. Homo eructus

Hmm, playtesting the pronouns in Ardent's storyline I came across the Taino chief and his "lastname" isn't translated, when all the other indians are fully translated. The files seem to be 100% right. I wonder if it'll have something to do with the fact that the chief's name is Soaring Hawk, and the game is somehow confusing it with the last name of our own and only Nathaniel Hawk from the standard storyline, who of course doesn't have a translation associated to it. Any thought, @Grey Roger ?

18. Homo eructus

Also, I found an error in the INTERFACE/Shipyard.c file that I uploaded in the multilanguage pack. Some repeated + signs in the log entry for the ship upgrades messed up the upgrade interface. Here it is fixed

Attached Files:

19. DeathDaisy

DeathDaisy Freebooter Storm Modder

Id guess hawk have two entries in character_names.txt then? so the one that comes first is hawk from nathaniel hawk and the translated comes next? idk if thats the case, but if it is maybe soaring hawks last name in ardent/characters/tempquest.c could be turned into an xi_convertstring instead of a translatestring and hawk put into the spanish common.ini. dunno if that would work, but perhaps worth a try?

20. Homo eructus

That shouldn't be the case, as the Ardent storyline has its own character_names.txt separate from the main one, although it may be that the main one overwrites the other somehow if the same name is repeated.

That or directly changing Hawk for a placeholder in tempquest.c (like "Hawk1" or whatever) and then translating that in both the English and Spanish character_names files for Hawk and the corresponding Spanish. From my limited knowledge, I personally prefer this option because it seems to me it would be easier to track down later and recognize why it was done in the first place.