• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Spanish translation

Well, except the title of the nation selection, which shows only as "N" for some baffling reason.
Are there "complex characters" in that text? What is it supposed to say?

Are you making these changes for English as well as Spanish?
If so, I recommend that once you have any stable-ish parts, that you post your files so we can add those general changes to the main mod.
That should help with maintaining compatibility as we make further progress.

It should read "NACIÓN" but I don't think the accent is to blame, other titles have them and show correctly, and when I tried to remove the accent, still got the "N"

I'm simply adding the LanguageConvert or TranslateString code where necessary, and as far as I've tested it seems to be compatible with the English version.

I'm simply adding the LanguageConvert or TranslateString code where necessary, and as far as I've tested it seems to be compatible with the English version.
Indeed it should be.

My point is that any changes you make inside the PROGRAM folder (that isn't in any dialog.h files) should probably go in the main mod.
That way, the 'idModelDescr' for example would be used for the English version as well.

Then you should be able to only include the TXT and dialog.h files in your final language pack, since the code changes themselves would already be in the mod.
This to prevent incompatibility because of the .c files being changed quite often for other reasons.

The lines
Code:
case OUTFITSEX_MAN:  ret = "Man";  break;
case OUTFITSEX_WOMAN: ret = "Woman"; break;
don't work with TranslateString like the others. When applied, it breaks the gender selector

Other than that and the other minor things, I think that's the starting menu fully translated (well, I'll have to redo some parts without special characters, I'm afraid, even using the ascii code didn't work)

The lines
Code:
case OUTFITSEX_MAN: ret = "Man"; break;
don't work with TranslateString like the others. When applied, it breaks the gender selector
Try:
Code:
string GetOutfitSex(int n)
{
   string ret = "";
   switch (n)
   {
     case OUTFITSEX_ANY:  ret = "Any";  break;
     case OUTFITSEX_MAN:  ret = "Man";  break;
   }
   return XI_ConvertString(ret);
}

I'll have to redo some parts without special characters, I'm afraid, even using the ascii code didn't work
That is honestly a royal pain, I'm afraid. Simplest by far is to skip using them. :(

Nope, still broken. At least, thanks to superheroes, Man and Woman are words that everyone can understand so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I have to leave it en English, although still annoying.

That is honestly a royal pain, I'm afraid. Simplest by far is to skip using them. :(
It's not that bad, that I've seen so far. Mostly they work, except in two files, the tips & Tricks one which is not that important, and the Free Play storyline descriptions.

I fixed Du Casse's story. Apparently the problem was that the first line in story_text.txt doesn't display at all and he happened to be in that first line. I just added an empty { } in the first line instead and it now works (a completely blank line didn't do it)

@HellSailor, what are you working on? Now that I've sorted out the menus, I'll crack on with the rest of the questbooks and maybe some dialogs in between, to make the work less repetitive, so I wouldn't want to step on what you're covering.

Oh, damn it. Maybe it's not so compatible with the English version after all. I could swear I had tested it before and it worked... I'll have to retrace my steps to see when it went to hell.

Attachments

• Sin título.jpg
    Sin título.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 244
Ok, adding untranslated versions of Story_text.txt and story_title.txt to the INI/ENGLISH folder seems to work. Of course, if the code is asking the game to check those files for each language, they should be in the English folder aswell, as models.description is, but I didn't think of that. Crisis averted, I think.

Ok, adding untranslated versions of Story_text.txt and story_title.txt to the INI/ENGLISH folder seems to work. Of course, if the code is asking the game to check those files for each language, they should be in the English folder aswell, as models.description is, but I didn't think of that. Crisis averted, I think.
Indeed the changes you make for Spanish need to be used the same way for English as well. :yes

That may be the reason the Man/Woman selector was bugged when I tried to translate it, I'll have to add those strings to the English commons.ini (although the rest of the selection menus seems to work fine anyway)

Last edited:
Nope, that didn't cut it either
EDIT: And now the periods are untranslated again. wtf? I didn't touch anything about them.

Well, not important now. I just found out I've been working with the 4.0 all this time and not the 4.1 as I thought (at some point I needed to reinstall and used the installer I had laying around my PC thinking it was the newest one when in fact it was a leftover from the 4.0 release), so 'I'll have to go over everything again anyway. Will report back.

Also, I thought I'd add a short translator's note to the Spanish version at the start of the Introduction section of about_build, just to inform players of the lack of special characters in some texts (like about_build itself) and some other minor things, Is that alright?

Also, I thought I'd add a short translator's note to the Spanish version at the start of the Introduction section of about_build, just to inform players of the lack of special characters in some texts (like about_build itself) and some other minor things, Is that alright?
sure

Also if you save your current work and use winmerge on the new version you might be able to copy a lot of stuff with winmerge so you don't have to do it all again.

Back