• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Special Game Features for Officer Types

So, either I do the button pushing by changing the values in the dialog every time, or I do it in the store when I buy the stuff myself. If I don't need any new grapeshot, for example, then I don't tell the quartermaster anything and I don't press the "Buy" button for grapeshot either.

If Auto Buy just buys the minimum then I need to go to the store and buy more than that minimum, so I may as well just skip auto-buy, go to the store and buy what I want anyway. (Does Auto Buy sell what it thinks is surplus, or does it only buy things to bring them up to minimum levels and leave surpluses alone?)

And then there's the matter of prize ships. I capture a nice fat Spanish galleon loaded with cargo, sell the lot at the store, that takes several hours and now it's night time. I go somewhere to spend the night, next day I find the quartermaster has restocked the ship's supplies and now I need to sell them all again before I sell the ship. :facepalm Alternatively, if this option to tell him to switch off Auto Buy for various goods is implemented, then the first thing I do when I hire him is switch the whole lot off.

Do you do different things at the store EVERY time, then? In that case, indeed there is nothing to automate.

But don't you simply need a certain amount of supplies once in a while? Would you not like to not have to worry about that so much?
So you can busy yourself with what TRADE goods to buy/sell and not with every individual buy/sell action?

There is an "Auto Buy" and an "Auto Trade" button, if I recall.
One of them sells all excess goods and buys new stuff to get back up to the "default supplies" and the other one only buys new stuff but doesn't sell anything.
Or something.

And again to be clear, if an "automated auto buy" is implemented, I'd think it should be done only once per visit to port.
NOT every day; that is silly.

Also, I reckon our ideas here will remain in a hypothetical brainstorming stage for quite some time.
They all require quite a lot of work and at least MY focus is much more on getting current stuff working right than substantially everything we already have just yet.
So this might be a thing for Build 15.

But don't you simply need a certain amount of supplies once in a while? Would you not like to not have to worry about that so much?
So you can busy yourself with what TRADE goods to buy/sell and not with every individual buy/sell action?
I'm used to transferring stuff in and out of the cargo hold manually anyway. If I'm raiding a ship which I can't capture (either I don't have Leadership 5, or I already have three companion ships and this is target 4) then I'll go through its hold to see what I want to take. For that matter, if target 3 has some spare space, I may transfer some of my supplies into it to make room for more plunder from target 4. So doing it once more in port isn't much of an effort, the only difference is that this time money is changing hands as well.

And again to be clear, if an "automated auto buy" is implemented, I'd think it should be done only once per visit to port.
NOT every day; that is silly.
So I visit port, the quartermaster stocks up the ship, then I spend a few days getting the ship upgraded or weapons polished, and then since he's had his automated auto buy for this visit, I get to restock it all manually.

OK, so I visit port, spend a few days getting the ship upgraded or weapons polished, run out of food because I've been relying on the quartermaster to restock everything and he hasn't done so yet, then if the crew hasn't mutinied I go to the tavern and replace any crew who starved or deserted, then the quartermaster restocks everything just before I leave.

OK, so food and rum aren't in such short supply, but the ship has taken some damage and used up all its planks and sailcloth on the way here, so no repairs happen while I'm waiting for weapons to be polished or upgrades to be fitted.

I shoot the quartermaster and go back to manual restocking. xD

This is beginning to shout "Build 15" to me.... :wp

I'm sure good solutions CAN be found. But it won't be easy and will take a lot of thinking, figuring out, developing and testing.
All things that we probably shouldn't get ourselves into right now if we can avoid it.

Thread marked as "Planned Feature" for Build 15.
Also renamed to indicate that we don't need more officer types but we want the ones we've to be able to take over more of the actual player's actions (always optional).

When having a doctor in your party we could increase your HPregen.
It's very simple and can be added in the function
LAi_AllCharactersUpdate
In LAi_character.c

Round here:
Code:
float hp;
            if(CheckAttribute(chr_ai, "hp_dlt")) dlthp = stf(chr_ai.hp_dlt);

// El Rapido -->
// KK: we have already set special dlthp for people with "Toughness" ability, enough! -->
            hp = stf(chr_ai.hp) + dlthp * dltTime;

What you say @Pieter Boelen shall we add it already?

Or make it even harder.
On land you won't regen at all unless you have a doctor with you in the land party.
On your ship you will regen a bit and with a doctor it will go faster.
This would make potions and such more interesting also.
Might be good tough to tie this to the difficulty setting. So on the first you have a pretty good regen everwhere still (like now). On the second difficulty you only regen in towns etc.
And with the third one and higher we do as I said

I don't think you'd want to have a doctor with you ashore because they would probably get killed inconveniently quickly.

Having a doctor already reduces after-battle casualties with a better one being better at that too.

I'll leave it up to the players to say if they'd want this or not.
But as far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure it is needed....

I don't like this idea at all. For one thing, early in the game you're stuffed because you don't yet have a doctor. Also, messing with regeneration rates on land will make dungeon raiding harder if not outright impossible, especially early in the game when you aren't carrying enough bandages to equip a small hospital so you can't heal "properly".

I don't like this idea at all. For one thing, early in the game you're stuffed because you don't yet have a doctor. Also, messing with regeneration rates on land will make dungeon raiding harder if not outright impossible, especially early in the game when you aren't carrying enough bandages to equip a small hospital so you can't heal "properly".
All true points. I think we can skip this idea for now. If we are going to do something with doctors being used ashore, we should think it through properly and tie it in with the ideas posted here:
Planned Feature - Characters sustain damage after a fight and better HP balancing | PiratesAhoy!

As per Planned Feature - Changing Behaviour for Divide the Plunder Mode | PiratesAhoy! , we may end up adding a very specific gameplay element to the Quartermaster officer type.
Eventually I would like to do similar things for the other officer types as well, such as:
- Master-at-Arms: Dialog option to auto-supply the Weaponslocker
- Boatswain: Discuss how to handle shipboard discipline after drunken brawls (feature currently in the game that goes pretty much unused)

Back