• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Standard Storyline: Easier Guards on First Mission

Like @Hylie Pistof says its normal, and @Morkar skills are very low, perks missing to.His men have low skills to.
Dont go to the governor to early, but do somethings to earn skills and perks first. So @Levis please dont do anything about
it yet. It isent needed. And Levis it is a long storyline! Dont chance the game because a beginner cant handle it, he have to learn

I'm not a beginner myself. I played New Horizons and the storyline before. I'm usually not the one who wants difficulty in a game lowered (especially new games are mostly laughable easy nowadays).

But the Hawk storyline is basically the default story of PotC and likely the one beginners would choose. And if the beginner chooses the lowest difficulty and can't handle the encounters he's supposed to engage in the way the storyline handles it to him I don't think it's an optimal solution. Imho the player shouldn't get penalized for doing exactly what he's told to do by the storyline (informing the governor as fast as possible).

At least on apprentice and jouneyman I think it would be sensible to give the player the option to play game in the way the story basically demands it. On later difficulties, which are for experienced players, it's a different matter. By @Levis solution there seems to be already a check in place depending on the selected difficulty.

In this standard storyline, I always earn some skills and perks, and buy a better ship,
before I am ready to talk with the governor.

The game dont tell you to go to the governor immediately! Dont do that!

So by far the simplest solution would be to change the govenor dialog a little bit so he says you should first gain some experience before you try to do this :p.

I do actually agree with @Morkar that ideally you SHOULD be able to play through the main quest without using detours.

Of course we've been making all sorts of changes to the game come to make it more challenging and to make town guards more of a threat.
In the original game, they were pretty much "one hit kills". And now, after a gazillion changes that we made, they're the very opposite.
That isn't intentional, just a side-effect of the work that has been done.

I've been having a tough time distinguishing between quest scenes and regular ones before,
but it was related to the "Fort Commander Reinforcements" at the time.
In this case, is the problem truly with the weapons they now carry?
We could give those temporary French guards some lesser ones, I imagine.

So please DO keep reporting if you run into similarly hard scenes, because we should definitely try to rectify those.
Especially on Apprentice difficulty, most of the Standard Storyline should ideally be playable in one go.

I do actually agree with @Morkar that ideally you SHOULD be able to play through the main quest without using detours.

Of course we've been making all sorts of changes to the game come to make it more challenging and to make town guards more of a threat.
In the original game, they were pretty much "one hit kills". And now, after a gazillion changes that we made, they're the very opposite.
That isn't intentional, just a side-effect of the work that has been done.

I've been having a tough time distinguishing between quest scenes and regular ones before,
but it was related to the "Fort Commander Reinforcements" at the time.
In this case, is the problem truly with the weapons they now carry?
We could give those temporary French guards some lesser ones, I imagine.

So please DO keep reporting if you run into similarly hard scenes, because we should definitely try to rectify those.
Especially on Apprentice difficulty, most of the Standard Storyline should ideally be playable in one go.
problem is they are carrying those weapons, and they are somewhere round level 20.
Thats why I sugested my fix. By just lowering the accuracy a bit I was able to survive theire shots better. He does has some healing items on him, so giving his officers both healing items so they can heal themself and healing my self after I got shot by one I was able to beat them if I made them a bit weaker.

problem is they are carrying those weapons, and they are somewhere round level 20.

:yes - Agreed

Question - if enemies are supposed to level with the player in the game ( so they are always at approximately the same level as the player ) - why are these at a far higher level than the player?

Is it because they are quest characters and not general game world characters. :shrug

:duel:

There are two types of characters: Persistent ones that are initialized at game start and temporary ones that are generated when they're needed, usually as enemies.
Town guards are normally of the persistent kind.

Annoying thing there is that either you initialize them with a high level and they'll be too hard in the early game,
or you give them a low level and they become compete push overs.

This has been an ongoing challenge for a while now because neither situation is ideal, really. :facepalm

Couple of solutions I can think of:
- Temporarily remove the persistent guards and generate random ones at the start of the quest
- Give the Speightstown guards a permanently low level, but that would require adding an exception to the "strong soldiers" functionality
- Use @Levis' suggestion and decrease their skills and level as soon as the town gets occupied; this could work, but needs to be reset at some point too

Maybe we could make two functions: One that reduces a soldier strength and one that resets it.
Then we can use that for all similar situations without affecting the regular town guards.

There are two types of characters: Persistent ones that are initialized at game start and temporary ones that are generated when they're needed, usually as enemies.
Town guards are normally of the persistent kind.

Annoying thing there is that either you initialize them with a high level and they'll be too hard in the early game,
or you give them a low level and they become compete push overs.

:yes

But I am not sure that these 2 French soldiers are "normal " town guards

I thought they were specific quest characters:shrug.

That is why I thought it would be easiest just to remove their muskets. Since I did not think it would be interfering with all the town guards. Just these 2 guys.

Specifically I thought they were these 2 in PROGRAM \ Storyline \ standard \ characters \ init \ TempQuestEnemy.c

Code:
    // 1-й Солдат, временно участвующий во всех квестовых постановках
   ch.old.name = "French Soldier";
   ch.old.lastname = "";
   ch.name = TranslateString("","French Soldier");
   ch.lastname = "";
   ch.id     = "Fra_occupant_temp_01";
   ch.model   = Nations[FRANCE].fantomModel.m1; // PB
   ch.sound_type = "soldier";
   LAi_NoRebirthEnable(ch);
   ch.sex = "man";
   GiveItem2Character(ch, "bladeC6");
   ch.equip.blade = "bladeC6";
   ch.nodisarm   = 1;         // PB: Disable disarming
   ch.location   = "";
   ch.location.group = "";
   ch.location.locator = "";
   ch.Dialog.Filename = "Story_French Soldier_dialog.c";
   ch.greeting = "Gr_Story_French Soldier";
   ch.nation = FRANCE;
   ch.rank    = 1;
   ch.reputation = "None";
   ch.experience = "0";
   ch.skill.Leadership = "1";
   ch.skill.Fencing = "3";
   ch.skill.Sailing = "1";
   ch.skill.Accuracy = "1";
   ch.skill.Cannons = "1";
   ch.skill.Grappling = "1";
   ch.skill.Repair = "1";
   ch.skill.Defence = "1";
   ch.skill.Commerce = "1";
   ch.skill.Sneak = "1";
   ch.money = "10";
   LAi_SetActorType(ch);
   LAi_SetLoginTime(ch, 0.0, 24.0);
   LAi_SetHP(ch, 80.0, 80.0);
   ch.questchar = true;//MAXIMUS: identifier for captives
   AddGameCharacter(n, ch);

// 2-й Солдат, временно участвующий во всех квестовых постановках
   ch.old.name = "French Soldier";
   ch.old.lastname = "";
   ch.name = TranslateString("","French Soldier");
   ch.lastname = "";
   ch.id     = "Fra_occupant_temp_02";
   ch.model   = Nations[FRANCE].fantomModel.m1; // PB
   ch.sound_type = "soldier";
   LAi_NoRebirthEnable(ch);
   ch.sex = "man";
   GiveItem2Character(ch, "bladeC6");
   ch.equip.blade = "bladeC6";
   ch.nodisarm   = 1;         // PB: Disable disarming
   ch.location   = "";
   ch.location.group = "";
   ch.location.locator = "";
   ch.Dialog.Filename = "Story_French Soldier_dialog.c";
   ch.greeting = "Gr_Story_French Soldier";
   ch.nation = FRANCE;
   ch.rank    = 1;
   ch.reputation = "None";
   ch.experience = "0";
   ch.skill.Leadership = "1";
   ch.skill.Fencing = "3";
   ch.skill.Sailing = "1";
   ch.skill.Accuracy = "1";
   ch.skill.Cannons = "1";
   ch.skill.Grappling = "1";
   ch.skill.Repair = "1";
   ch.skill.Defence = "1";
   ch.skill.Commerce = "1";
   ch.skill.Sneak = "1";
   ch.money = "10";
   LAi_SetActorType(ch);
   LAi_SetLoginTime(ch, 0.0, 24.0);
   LAi_SetHP(ch, 80.0, 80.0);
   ch.questchar = true;//MAXIMUS: identifier for captives
   AddGameCharacter(n, ch);

The Russian says :-
1st soldier , temporarily involved in all productions quest
second soldier , temporarily involved in all productions quest

:cheers

According to a quick search, those characters aren't even used at all. Maybe they once were, but not anymore.

If you install these fixes the guards will be a bit weaker and doable (but still no easy on the level in your savegame).
Mod Release - Levis' Stuff [Dec 31] | PiratesAhoy!

I've tested this with the savegame provided in this topic it should work instantly. The guards are only weaked if they actually attack you. Getting shot by them still damages you at lot. but if you got your healing ready you can heal yourself once you are hit. They can only fire two shots. If you give your officer healing also they should be able to survive it also. If you attack quick they wont even be able to fire theire shots. They are pretty weak now so A few good hits should kill them.
This is only applied on the first two difficulties. So if you go higher expect them to be full blown hard and you might want to raise your reputation to bypass the fight.

So this makes the soldiers "drunk", eh?
Code:
      if(GetDifficulty() < DIFFICULTY_BUCCANEER)
       {
         ChangeHPBonus(sld,-175);
         ResetMaxHP(sld);
         SetSkillCharMod(sld, "Fencing", -3,"drunk","");
         SetSkillCharMod(sld, "Accuracy", -3,"drunk","");
         SetSkillCharMod(sld, "Defence", -3,"drunk","");
       }
How about making that a function and also making a RESET function to go with it?
Then we can indeed use that for characters we temporarily need to be weaker than the normally would be. :onya

If you look at leveling.c you see there is a reset function for it already.
And you can also just apply an hp bonus again with a positive number to make that go away. But I was thinking of making an actual "drunk" function. This could also be used to the character after taking alcohol.
How about that?

After say 1 day the effect goes away.

Could do. But using something that automatically resets itself here would risk making the quest harder again by the time you get there.

Could do. But using something that automatically resets itself here would risk making the quest harder again by the time you get there.
It only triggers once they start attacking you

I wouldn't consider this one "Fixed" until there is a "Reset" after the relevant quest scene.... :wp

I wouldn't consider this one "Fixed" until there is a "Reset" after the relevant quest scene.... :wp
Its only the two that fight you, and afterwards they are dead...

Back