• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Standard Storyline: Easier Guards on First Mission

Its only the two that fight you, and afterwards they are dead...
But they get resurrected because they're regular town guards. And there are ways to get past without fighting too.
Wouldn't want to leave those two Speighstown town guards weakened for the remainder of the game.... :confused:

@Levis: If you can add a "reset" for those two guards after this scene, I reckon it should be fixed. :doff

They don't appear to be in the right order :p.

@Levis: Do you think the following two should be made into "MakeDrunk" and "CancelDrunk" functions?
Code:
         ChangeHPBonus(sld,-175);
         ResetMaxHP(sld);
         SetSkillCharMod(sld, "Fencing", -3,"drunk","");
         SetSkillCharMod(sld, "Accuracy", -3,"drunk","");
         SetSkillCharMod(sld, "Defence", -3,"drunk","");
Code:
         ChangeHPBonus(sld,175);
         ResetMaxHP(sld);
         RemoveSkillCharMod(sld, "Fencing","drunk");
         RemoveSkillCharMod(sld, "Accuracy","drunk");
         RemoveSkillCharMod(sld, "Defence","drunk");
Then they can be more easily reused.

Though what about characters with an HP of less than 175?
Maybe do it as a percentage?

@Levis: Do you think the following two should be made into "MakeDrunk" and "CancelDrunk" functions?
Code:
         ChangeHPBonus(sld,-175);
         ResetMaxHP(sld);
         SetSkillCharMod(sld, "Fencing", -3,"drunk","");
         SetSkillCharMod(sld, "Accuracy", -3,"drunk","");
         SetSkillCharMod(sld, "Defence", -3,"drunk","");
Code:
         ChangeHPBonus(sld,175);
         ResetMaxHP(sld);
         RemoveSkillCharMod(sld, "Fencing","drunk");
         RemoveSkillCharMod(sld, "Accuracy","drunk");
         RemoveSkillCharMod(sld, "Defence","drunk");
Then they can be more easily reused.

Though what about characters with an HP of less than 175?
Maybe do it as a percentage?

For now this works. After the public release I want to do something like that indeed.

Can anyone please test this so we can close it?

@Mirsaneli maybe? Just start a new game on sea hawk and follow the story a little bit, try to sneak in spleightown and exit again and when you leave attack the guards standing outside the gate (which you fought to get in) and see if its still that easy

Well the're too tough for "novice" me on melee 1 , average sword and no armour (no surprise - which is how just following the plot delivered me to the scene). Part of the problem is that it is coded so you can't manouver your position in relation to the guards or your officers (if you have any with you) prior to the dialogue.

I do not agree with the "old hands" that you should "know" to do all sorts of other things to prepare you BUT @Levis' solution under a spoiler in post #8 is fine so I don't see a need to weaken the guards further. I just suggest putting that (perhaps again under a spoiler) in the WIKI and if someone is stuck they will have a solution to hand - I seem to remember using that approach elsewhere in a few places in my time so it will stand them in good stead later on. Previously in build 14 3.4 I had melee 2 a better sword and leather cuirass but I passed them too (eventually using the same approach I think) after a number of failures judging by the number of different saves at that point.

I ran from them after dealing with Massoni outside Speightstown so their level is not an insurmountable issue even at novice levels.

Last edited:
@pedrwyth: Just to be sure, we're you testing on the lowest difficulty Level at the time?
If not, the guards may not have been drunk at all.

@pedrwyth: Just to be sure, we're you testing on the lowest difficulty Level at the time?
If not, the guards may not have been drunk at all.
Yes - lowest level and I checked they had lower health at the first meeting. The -3 modifiers were present in their attributes after the dialogue so I presume it took effect on their skills.

Their dialogue (Story_French Soldier_dialog.c) has a check against leadership level which might be better replaced with a check against the new "master of disguise" ability (which seems more appropriate in some ways AND seems unlocked) as long as you have enough ability points you can take it - so not something you have to work to improve, which would allow another way in.

Their dialogue (Story_French Soldier_dialog.c) has a check against leadership level which might be better replaced with a check against the new "master of disguise" ability (which seems more appropriate in some ways AND seems unlocked) as long as you have enough ability points you can take it - so not something you have to work to improve, which would allow another way in.
Not a bad idea. I don't mind such quest checks being replaced with better ones so that they actually end up making a difference.

Would players have any clue what affects those quests though? Probably not, but that would be quite difficult to make clear anyway. :facepalm

Sounds like a good idea.
Maybe keep the original check in place but also make it true if you have the master of disguise :).

Nobody bothered commenting on this, so this is what it is.
Should be better than it was anyway.

Well here's my suggested improvement - to add in disguiser perk as a possible approach to bluffing your way in.

Attachments

• Story_French Soldier_dialog.c
    2 KB · Views: 225
Back