• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Steam Gunboat

Not anymore, so I can send that to you if you'd like?
Fine by me. But you can also continue working on her over the weekend and post her somewhere on Monday.
I don't expect I'll get to doing anything with her until at least Monday anyway.

Do I need to use Maya to split the mast from the model or is it possible to tell the locators to do the same in TOOL? As I have the mast locator set up but obviously there's nothing for it to 'locate'! Tool's help doesn't seem to go into it.
@Armada would know better, but I think Maya should be able to export the mast separately and create the necessary locators as part of the conversion process.

So my only option is to take it back into Maya? I thought it might be. Ah well at least I have a better grasp of adding locators in Maya. I'll reimport it over the weekend using Armada's import GM tutorial and start again with locators. Here's how the one I just sent you looks locatorwise: still not understanding why the camera won't move though :/ The crash has completly stopped happening so I must've done something right. :D

Untitled.jpg

You can keep the mast as part of the main hull GM, but that could cause the "high camera" bug.
Only way to solve that is through Maya.

Indeed I wouldn't mind getting rid of that as it's a bit of a shame not being able to see her properly...and having a breaking mast would be cool too! Ok I'm going to take it back into Maya and start again, as after reading some other posts regarding mast locators I think I may know where I went wrong before. It's Hypershade that scares me...:D

It took me longer to learn Hypershade than anything else, as I just didn't understand the material manager. :D

Hypershade is Maya 5's horribly outdated material manager (I think it's the main one though @Armada will know far more than I). It's just so convoluted is all :unsure

Once you get your model back into Maya, be sure to make a backup! You don't want to have to keep re-importing it each time you need to change something.

Hypershade is Maya 5's horribly outdated material manager
Everything about Maya 5 is "horribly outdated". :p

Thanks for the tip! To be honest I'm quite horrified at myself for deleting it...I kept everything else! :rofl Must've been a dim moment.

Update on this project that's taking far too long for me to get finished:

I have a stretch of about 5 free weeks starting in the middle of next month (cheesy git), so I'll make a religious point of getting this done in that first week. I promise I haven't abandoned it! It's just been increasingly difficult finding time recently as everything takes me sooooo long when it comes to this stuff! :facepalm

Ahoy! Sorry about my month's leave. Just had to focus on the stresses of moving and starting new jobs etc. :shock

To jump right back into asking my patented stupid questions.

As you know I'm having to start the export progress from scratch in Maya as I accidentally lost the original from which I exported the current GM.:facepalm Sadly I've totally given up trying to use TOOL to add locators (specifically, the mast and camera) as I just wasn't getting anywhere, so I'm hoping I can just add everything in Maya this time round. However, in order to do so I must obviously remember how I did that the first time which...I can't. I remember there was some kind of weird thing I'd have to do on export after adding a new locator, like decollapse the hierarchy tree and select the model/main locator and the one I want to add individually. But it doesn't seem to be working, and if it does, it's making a separate file for the new locator. It's annoying as I actually stumbled upon how to do it before when doing the gun locator...just I can't for the life of me recall what exactly I did!

I'm sure it's something straightforward. Anyone know where I'm going wrong? :wp

Inzane's guide is useful but it does seem to skip this particular part; he simply says to parent it, which I'm doing but I know I have to do some kind of selection in order to export as selection, which Armada's guide implies. I just can't remember in what order I need to select things to stop it from coming out as separate files!

Select ALL the locators. :razz

The order you select them in doesn't seem to be important, just as long as you have all the ones selected that you want to export.
You'll get separate files if the locators have geometry parented to them, such as masts or other parts. In fact, I don't think you'll get any files unless at least one locator has a parented object (i.e. the hull).

Which locators are you trying to export?

Just getting as far as I did before would be a good start, really, so gun, camera and path. :facepalm Though I do immediately after that plan on doing the mast, using your instructions from earlier in the thread.

My struggle with this project kinda reminds of the old Indian adage; '...to birth a simple fire, takes more from a man than killing mighty buffalo.' Extremely true of this.

EDIT: Actually, I do have a legit question. What's the difference between a green, yellow and a white selection in Maya? As I think that could be what throws me. All I know is, everything had to be a certain colour/type of selection before exporting it before and that's why I believed there could be an order to doing it. In C4D I have one colour (yellow) for all selections, so forgive me if this is straightforward stuff. I keep getting the green and white selections, but never harmony :(

Last edited:
Back