• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Still can't get the latest version to work

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
So on Levis' advice I down loaded the August second files and the zip. Once I down loaded the main files I looked at the internal settings every thing was there. When I tried to run the game I got the runtime error. Then I re downloaded the zip file and extracted it. Then I checked the internal settings file and it was empty. Then I tried to run the game again and it wouldn't load. Same error message.

My belief is that either I am screwing up something in the zip file, or there is something weird going on there. Also it came in a winzip file usually they come as a WinRAR. Any ideas?

Attachments

• error.log
    68 bytes · Views: 78
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: seadogs.c; line: 2
Invalid function: (null)
That.... is a REALLY weird one. Don't remember seeing that one before. :shock

Can you upload your PROGRAM\seadogs.c file too, please?

Look again at:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-5-internal-wip-for-testing.24817/
2nd August isn't the latest version any more. ;)

Sometimes the update is .zip and sometimes it's .7z. The latter is a format for the 7-Zip archive program which, as well as being more flexible than WinRAR, has the advantage that it's totally free. (WinRAR is shareware. You're only supposed to use it free for a limited time, then you're supposed to pay for it.)

If "PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h" is empty then that would explain the message in "error.log". Line 2 of "seadogs.c" refers to "InternalSettings.h". It's a very important file for various game configuration settings and if it's empty then not much is going to work.

Line 2 is:
Code:
#include "InternalSettings.h" // where the more esoteric/programmerly things from BS.h got moved. NK 05-07-17
So it sounds like something is wrong with that file for you. But why or how, I'm not sure.
It IS included in the small update archive, so should be correct. :confused:

Sometimes the update is .zip and sometimes it's .7z.
Yep, I have to switch to 7-Zip archive or a new EXE when the combined size exceeds 2MB.
There will definitely be another EXE somewhere in the next few days. Few more things to sort out first though....

make sure you use the extract option and dont just copy the files. I had some problems with that too.
You can always open the .zip with winrar too and then extact them.
I'm using winrar too and I dont have any problems.

Did you install in program files or somewhere else?

I use the extract option I did it in winzip and I put in the POTC file should I extract to the program file?

I use the extract option I did it in winzip and I put in the POTC file should I extract to the program file?
I don't think WinZip can handle 7-Zip files properly. That might be where the problem came from.
Use one of the programs suggested by Grey Roger instead and see if that works any better.

I don't think WinZip can handle 7-Zip files properly. That might be where the problem came from.
Use one of the programs suggested by Grey Roger instead and see if that works any better.

I misspoke, I have 7-Zip and am using it. Does extract go in the game folder or the program folder?

An if I delete every thing and try for a clean install it is the original game, then the most recent version and then the zip is that right?

I misspoke, I have 7-Zip and am using it.
Can you check if you can actually open InternalSettings.h and it looks normal?

An if I delete every thing and try for a clean install it is the original game, then the most recent version and then the zip is that right?
Original game, most recent EXE, then the 7-Zip archive indeed.

Where is the PoTC folder? If that's "C:\Program Files\Pirates of the Caribbean" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pirates of the Caribbean" then it's liable to run into trouble. I've created a folder "C:\Games" and have installed PoTC into that. So mine is "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean".

Where is the PoTC folder? If that's "C:\Program Files\Pirates of the Caribbean" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pirates of the Caribbean" then it's liable to run into trouble. I've created a folder "C:\Games" and have installed PoTC into that. So mine is "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean".

Mine is c:\games\POTC2\potc

Till when does the installation work?
If you install the 3.5 installer it still works?
do you have an anti virus program running or UAC enabled?
Are you on an administrator account?
Else try extracting the files from the zip to a seperate folder the manually copy them to the potc folder

I don't think any one has clarified whether or not the extract goes in the game folder or the program folder. Thanks everyone for trying to help sort this.

Till when does the installation work?
If you install the 3.5 installer it still works?
do you have an anti virus program running or UAC enabled?
Are you on an administrator account?
Else try extracting the files from the zip to a seperate folder the manually copy them to the potc folder
All these factors are unchanged from the dozens of other installations I have made over the years.

PoTC2? You're not trying to install it into the same folder as something else such as "Age of Pirates" or "City of Abandoned Ships", are you?

Get 7-Zip. Once that's installed, you can right-click an archive file such as "b14-3-5_wip_9Aug2015.7z". From the resulting menu, go to "7-Zip" -> "Open archive", then 7-Zip will allow you to navigate through the folders in the archive. Open "PROGRAM", right-click "InternalSettings.h", and you should get another menu one of whose options is "Edit". Now you can see what "InternalSettings.h" looks like in the archive. If that's empty then the archive is faulty and you'll need to download it again. (And if the latest archive you have is the one from 2nd August then you'll need to download it again anyway because there's now one from 9th August.)

I don't think any one has clarified whether or not the extract goes in the game folder or the program folder. Thanks everyone for trying to help sort this.
The extract should go into the main game folder. The archive contains its own "PROGRAM" and "RESOURCE" folders which should then be merged with the existing ones.

Internal settings is blank.
Then either your download is corrupted or something went wrong in the extracting process. But that isn't normal.

If you have your game in C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean, that is the folder to extract to. :yes

Back