• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved stores/reputation

Gaelan Lee

Landlubber
This is most likely a silly question considering i have been playing potc since it was for sale in game stop, but i downloaded new horizons and was wondering if there was something to be done. my character is a "well known pirate" and his reputation is "matey", and i understand not being able to use stores on islands that i have bad relations with. but as soon as i hit well known pirate i cant even use the stores or shipyards on the pirate settlement, leaving my charecter no place to sell his ill gotten gains. Is there something im missing? do i just have to be a good guy to use these main shops?

Pirates don't like nice guys! That is what it is coded as in any case.
Although, perhaps I should add in a caveat that cancels this effect once you gain some notoriety as you obviously have.

oh off topic, is coas and the historical patch equal to potc...games hard to obtain and if im gonna sink time and money into it id like it to be worth the hardship. iv noticed alot of people going the coas direction recently, but when it come to "vintage" pirate/naval games iv noticed this doesnt always mean its a great game

:ahoy

Whether you would like COAS ERAS better than POTC is a personal choice. POTC is the better game at sea and ERAS is better on land IMO. By that I mean the at sea world in POTC NH is more realistic.

POTC is more movie oriented and ERAS is more Pirate oriented. I also think ERAS is more difficult. I play them both and find meself bouncing from one to the other. COAS does have DX9 which gives it better graphics and frame rates from the same models.

As I usually say it: CoAS was a pretty good game to begin with, while PotC was very much unfinished.
However, we spent 10 years making PotC live up to its nearly-full potential, while on CoAS decidedly less has been done.

Both games are quite similar, yet different. Look up the various threads on our forum that discuss the same subject.
Or, perhaps better, have a look at this recent Let's Play series on YouTube:

In the new WIP version some of these mechanics have changed. I'm not sure if the reputation is also taken into account. Maybe @purseon can tell more about that.

Everything has remained the same, with ONE exception:
When before the store owners would refuse to deal with you, now there is a chance that they WILL deal with you based on the "false flag detection chance".

In order to deal with a hostile merchant (or shipbuilder) you must be flying a false flag of a friendly nation (friendly to the merchant) at the time of interaction. Using the same algorithm as the false flag detection at sea, the merchant has a chance to detect your deception and if so, will refuse you service. If he fails to detect you, you can trade as normal. A few other notes:
-As you gain rank, the chance of you being detected increases (you are more well-known, thus it is harder to hide your true identity).
-Every time you enter into dialogue with the merchant he gets a chance to detect, so doing it often will increase your chance of being caught.
-Once caught, you will never be able to trade with that particular merchant again. He essentially remembers you.
-Because it is different logic I have not fixed yet, a hostile merchant will still refuse to give you jobs. Future enhancement pending.

We have some other ideas for future enhancements including a way for the merchant to forget you at a later date (with change of clothes and change of ship impacting the chance) and also a chance he actually calls the guards if caught. But those are not yet done.

Pieter...I just found a problem with the current WIP build...the fclamp line of code that sets the min and max limits was flawed, so the merchant never deals. I will upload a fix on the main post right now.

Last edited:
-Once caught, you will never be able to trade with that particular merchant again. He essentially remembers you.
Here is a suggestion:
Code:
  // PURSEON -->
     rel = GetActualRMRelation(mNation);
     if (rel <= REL_WAR)
     {
       if (frnd() > GetChanceDetectFalseFlag() && !CheckAttribute(merch,"FalseFlagDetect"))   // check if merchant already detected false flag on prior encounter
       {
         rel = GetFlagRMRelation(mNation);                           // if not, use false flag for relation check
       }
     }
     else
     {
       DeleteAttribute(merch, "FalseFlagDetect");
     }
   // <--PURSEON
This should allow him to trade with you again if you become friendly with his nation later on.

Pieter...I just found a problem with the current WIP build...the fclamp line of code that sets the min and max limits was flawed, so the merchant never deals. I will upload a fix on the main post right now.
Drat! Oh well, at least now I know it doesn't work. :facepalm

Back