• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Storms to big and ship encounters on map not working

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Guess I'm playing POTC for a week or so.

Storms are too big and too frequent, but the roll meter isn't there to make your ship capsize.

When on the world map and one gets intercepted by hostiles, when you drop into direct sail no one is there. This has happened many times so far and I have not even seen a fight yet.

The new perk system really slows down advancement. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

hylie, are the problems with the storms and encounters new or where they always there already?

Storms are too big and too frequent, but the roll meter isn't there to make your ship capsize.
Always? I've occasionally seen storms without it, usually when going from shore to sea and ending in a storm straight away.
But sometimes I also see the angle indicator outside a storm. I've got no clue why. But mostly it does work.
Anyway, I just tested a worldmap one and it is fine. :shrug

The frequency/size of storms has not been touched for years. What month are you playing in? September to November are the worst for storms.

When on the world map and one gets intercepted by hostiles, when you drop into direct sail no one is there. This has happened many times so far and I have not even seen a fight yet.
Very odd indeed. This is after you got to see the Encounter interface pop-up? I tested this as well and it works just as it always did.
No code related to this has been touched, so I don't see why things should be different. :shock

This is with the latest patch and playing since it came out.

The storms cover far too large of an area. It has been like this for a long time and there are periodical complaints about it. After playing ERAS for a while it is very noticeable that the storms cover a hurricane sized patch of the Caribbean.

None of the storms I have been in have the roll indicator.

Yes. I would be intercepted and have no choice except to go to direct sail mode. Then there would be just empty sea, except for sometimes I would get dropped into a storm.

When you refer to the area of a storm, do you mean visibly on the worldmap? I don't know if we can even edit that size at all.

What about:
Code:
worldMap.stormZone = 150.0;

in worldmap/worldmap_init.c

?

No I am not referring to the visible size of the storms, but to the actual size as indicated by the storm icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It is possible to be in a storm without seeing one on the screen.

Also, the repair skill is acting differently. I am at level 4 with no repair perks and have been caught and had my ship heavily damaged in many storms. The ship is being repaired and I am getting a lot of repair skill even with no sails or planks.

The problem of not seeing it but being in one I also have sometimes. It probally has something todo with the stormsize and action radius. I ill look into this. I think I know what causes it.

I have no idea about the repairing. it almost sounds to me like you have a bad install ...

got any error logs??

The Russian comment translates as "Overall range of storm".
So indeed.... worth experimenting with. I suppose lower number means smaller storm on the worldmap.

Note also that storms can come from two sources:
1. Worldmap generated
2. Random weather system

#2 there could generate a storm at ANY time when going from worldmap to sea, even if there was no storm on the actual worldmap.

The Russian comment translates as "Overall range of storm".
So indeed.... worth experimenting with. I suppose lower number means smaller storm on the worldmap.

Note also that storms can come from two sources:
1. Worldmap generated
2. Random weather system

#2 there could generate a storm at ANY time when going from worldmap to sea, even if there was no storm on the actual worldmap.

the initial value of the stormzone used to be 120. it could very well be that what is displayed on the interface to look like a storm has a fixed size so when they made the stormzone larger it would show larger on the worldmap. it would just be a larger area. Its something which goes on my todolist to check. also I think it would be nice to disable the storms from happening the moment you drop from the worldmap. its quiet annoying when you sailed into a harbor in the worldmap and then go to sea and find yourself in a storm. it should have a little timeout (say 1 minute) before the storm started so if you are in a port already you can moor quickly.

No error log, but there might be something in the compile log. Not sure.

Attachments

• system.log
    66.9 KB · Views: 122
  • compile.log
    80.8 KB · Views: 148
...its quiet annoying when you sailed into a harbor in the worldmap and then go to sea and find yourself in a storm. it should have a little timeout (say 1 minute) before the storm started so if you are in a port already you can moor quickly.
:yes:onya

the initial value of the stormzone used to be 120. it could very well be that what is displayed on the interface to look like a storm has a fixed size so when they made the stormzone larger it would show larger on the worldmap. it would just be a larger area.
I just checked the stock game, but it was 150 there too. Where does that 120 come from?

also I think it would be nice to disable the storms from happening the moment you drop from the worldmap. its quiet annoying when you sailed into a harbor in the worldmap and then go to sea and find yourself in a storm. it should have a little timeout (say 1 minute) before the storm started so if you are in a port already you can moor quickly.
I think it would be good enough to stop the random weather generator from causing a storm if you just came from the worldmap altogether.
Ideally, those type of storms should only be able to build up while you are in 3D sailing mode.

I just checked the stock game, but it was 150 there too. Where does that 120 come from?

parts that are commented in the file

I think it would be good enough to stop the random weather generator from causing a storm if you just came from the worldmap altogether.
Ideally, those type of storms should only be able to build up while you are in 3D sailing mode.

thats what I mean

...its quiet annoying when you sailed into a harbor in the worldmap and then go to sea and find yourself in a storm. it should have a little timeout (say 1 minute) before the storm started so if you are in a port already you can moor quickly.

Don't agree,it makes the gameplay easier if you add that, it's easy enough with the enemies being too weak, if you're going to add that, don't add it to ironman, please.

parts that are commented in the file
I don't know where those comments come from. But the stock game file didn't have those at all.

Don't agree,it makes the gameplay easier if you add that, it's easy enough with the enemies being too weak, if you're going to add that, don't add it to ironman, please.
My idea would be to disable storms only upon transferring from worldmap to 3D sailing mode, unless you got into a storm on the worldmap.
Iron Man Mode disables the worldmap altogether, so there would be no difference either way.

With the latest update, I did try swashbuckler instead of adventurer, just to ramp up the difficulty and the truth, hardly any difference.
Swashbuckler ramps up the difficulty a bit, but ALSO removes all "limits of reason-ability".
Usually, in a one-sided boarding match for example, you'll always keep a minimum amount of HP/crewmembers.
Not so on Swashbuckler mode. If the boarding is stacked against you, it WILL be stacked against your properly. :shock

Split from main topic.
The storms I can look into soon.
The ship encounters I need to take a better look at, I guess it has something todo with the open sail mod also. I think the ship encounter variable is messing it up here.

Back